The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-13-2016, 06:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

We managed to get away for a little break and hit the beach, do some kayaking etc, but it is back to work today. Before we left, I got the Katalox OM's head stock bound, and will begin working with the fretboard today.

Here is a shot of the headstock after getting its binding.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:09 AM

Thank you for the updates and pictures, John. The headstock design is absolutely delicious! I find myself thinking of dark chocolate and vanilla Dove bars.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekaitora View Post
Thank you for the updates and pictures, John. The headstock design is absolutely delicious! I find myself thinking of dark chocolate and vanilla Dove bars.
Your welcome, It will look even better once it is cleaned up and some finish is applied.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Between work on the Katalox OM, I have been doing some bit and pieces on the African Blackwood SJ I showed a couple weeks ago. I haven't focused too much time on it although I did come up with a new fretboard design that I used on this SJ that is also in process. From that design, I incorporated some of that theme into a new rosette. I hadn't been doing much with Mother of Pearl lately and decided to try that out again. (note, the top of the rosette is not perfect, and does not need to be as that will be under the fretboard.)

It is hard to see in the picture, but I used Rosewood for the inner circle on it. Although I was going for a mostly black background, perhaps the color will show up a little more with finish. The top is German (moonspruce.)

Old 07-16-2016, 04:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here are a couple more shots of the SJ in process

This one will get a Ryan Style Bevel, and here is the lining made up from Spanish cedar the bevel area

In the shot, the I am showing most of the meat being cut out from the side for the bevel.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

John, This is looking very nice. Hope to see you at SBAIC!?

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 07-18-2016, 04:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vines View Post
John, This is looking very nice. Hope to see you at SBAIC!?
Thanks Tony,

Nope, not this time, but we are heading to the Woodstock Show, and plan on bring the Cocobolo OM, the SJ and GP from this thread (along with some others to that show.)
Old 07-30-2016, 05:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have been working on a lot of projects both in the shop and out. I strung up the cocobolo OM (from early in this thread) and hope to post some pictures of that soon. Also the blackwood SJ is taking shape and the both the Katalox OM, and the Maple GP are almost ready for finish. I also have been working a bit on the another SJ for Dream guitars, that has its own thread.

Here are couple of shots of the Maple GP in progress. In this shot the fretboard is getting it's binding

I decided to use a maple neck to go with the theme. I also used maple for the headstock with a rosewood Logo. I can't seem to put my hands on a shot of that, but will take one next time I am in the shop.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Four guitars in process plus outside projects? Yikes! You know John, if you are going to continue to share shop photos, you are going to have to include a repurposed Altoids container in some of your shots...
Old 07-31-2016, 05:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Four guitars in process plus outside projects? Yikes! You know John, if you are going to continue to share shop photos, you are going to have to include a repurposed Altoids container in some of your shots...
Maybe you will find them in the background, sort of like Where's Waldo, keep an eye out. In the meantime no repurposed shots in these photos.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Love the binding John.... What did you use?
Old 07-31-2016, 05:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Love the binding John.... What did you use?
Thanks Bob, it is rosewood! I know it doesn't look like it because it is sapwood. This has become one of my favorite binding materials but unfortunately I have used up my supply. I do have some other sapwood for future projects but this rosewood sapwood has some nice hints of red and purple in it and bent really easy (since it is rosewood.)

Here is another shot of the binding,

Old 07-31-2016, 06:44 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

John, Those are all very cool guitars! It is nice to see and hear the thought that goes into the details, yes the transparency and sharing. I don't recall seeing many...come to think of it, if any...of your guitars for sale out there, so I can only assume people get them and keep them. I can certainly see why.

Thanks again for the "guitar show" I enjoyed this morning!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 08-01-2016, 04:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
John, Those are all very cool guitars! It is nice to see and hear the thought that goes into the details, yes the transparency and sharing. I don't recall seeing many...come to think of it, if any...of your guitars for sale out there, so I can only assume people get them and keep them. I can certainly see why.

Thanks again for the "guitar show" I enjoyed this morning!
Your welcome and thank you for the very nice post.

Here are a couple more shots of the cocobolo OM. In this first shot, the color and lighting are off a bit, but you can see some of the details of the spiral rosette.

In this shot is the Straight-String-Pull (SSP) that I am putting on most of my guitars. It also has the Stealth Truss rod cover and the fully compensated nut (to go with the compensated saddle.)

And here is a shot of the back of the headstock. The back overlay is made from figured birch to sort of match the binding material. It is the first time I used birch for anything on my guitars.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Justa quick little update (photos later.)

I have been a bit lacking on taking photos of the ABW SJ, but it is coming along nicely. Meanwhile I am working on some set-up and finish on the others. (Once again, photos are lacking.)

Hope to wrap up the neck carving on the SJ later today, and get a bridge made tomorrow. More to come soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop