The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 08:53 AM

Default "Stepping-up" in brand

Hi all,
First I want to preface this post that this is by no means intended to create any type of brand bashing. That seems to happen a lot around here when comparing various brands

Until the last 1.5 years I played the same old Ovation Acoustic guitar for 18 years. I never really loved the sound, but it was a guitar and I owned it, so it worked. Unfortunately the guitar spent way too many years inside it's case... but I've been working hard at fixing that! When I started getting back into playing I decided to treat myself and "step-up"/ "upgrade" my guitar.

(I'm now reminded of the, are you worthy of your guitar thread recently, lol... I know I'm not and really didn't need an upgrade)

Since selling my Ovation I've really enjoyed owning may different guitars and really finding what I like and don't like in an acoustic. So far I've either owned or spend a lot of time with:

Baby Taylor
Taylor GS-Mini Mahogany
Taylor 314
Taylor 514
Taylor 816ce
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 814ce DLX*
Martin HD-28*
Martin OM-28VTS*
Gibson J-200 Rosewood
Gibson Dove

(* indicates what I currently still own)

So I've come to the conclusion that I LOVE the rosewood/spruce combination. I tend to lean towards the Martin sound (whatever that means) but after owning my third 8XX series Taylor (a long thread about a week ago) I've found a Taylor that is a keeper also.

So my question really is:

There are SO many guitar brands out there. There are SO many price-points out there. It's a blessing and a curse that you could own a quality guitar for $500 or $5,000! I feel like I have a good grasp on what Martin and Taylor have to offer and a fair grasp on the Gibson tone and offerings.

Then you get into these more boutique brands, Santa Cruz, Collings, Froggy Bottom, not to mention all the small luthier builds that I'm sure are amazing.

What's your guitar brand story? Did you "step-up" along the way? Does the quality/tone increase as you move of the brand chain? Is there even really a brand chain? How do you try all of these out to really find what you like? Where do you stop, lol?

My other hobby is collecting watches and it's easy to get caught up in the watch brand trap. Many people start out owning a lower priced watch (Tag, Omega). Get into the hobby and step-up to a mid-priced watch (Rolex, JLC,IWC) and then eventually "graduate" to one of the higher-end brands (Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe) only to come back down to somewhere in the middle and eventually be happy with that.

So after all that, I'm interested to hear how others have navigated the choppy seas of Guitar brands/builders and where that journey took them.

Josh
Old 07-26-2017, 08:54 AM

I "stepped up" to a used Martin OMC-15 CE, does that count?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-26-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I "stepped up" to a used Martin OMC-15 CE, does that count?
It sure does if it's a step-up for you! That's kind of actually the heart of my question here... Obviously there is a correlation with price and "stepping-up" but what else is there? How does one determine why and when they may want to move up to another level of guitar build/quality? Of course money and financial considerations must be taken into consideration but I'm sort of trying to stay away from that because obviously if you can't afford a more expensive guitar it's a moot point.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
... So I've come to the conclusion that I LOVE the rosewood/spruce combination. ...So my question really is:

There are SO many guitar brands out there. There are SO many price-points out there. It's a blessing and a curse
Yep. It's just like cars. Too many to own most and certainly all. You (all of us) have to look around, do our research, check our budgets and buy one that fits in with what we like and can afford. There are always great cars/guitars to look at, test drive and appreciate but we drive/play what we own and have at home.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Over the past ten years I've bought, owned and sold a bunch of guitars, in fact more than I either can or care to remember. I "discovered" Taylors around 2006 after reading a review in Acoustic Guitar magazine. Never really gave Martins or Gibsons a fair shake but many other brands came and went. I finally realized that Taylor's Grand Auditorium size is the perfect blend of tone and comfort me (I lean toward the tone of larger bodied guitars) and have focused my guitar buying on Taylor GAs as is apparent in my signature. This has really helped with GAS because the sky is no longer the limit for me. I'd like to add a revoiced 614 to my lineup after my 810 is sold. I really love what Andy Powers has done for Taylor Guitars as well as the company itself....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-26-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Over the past ten years I've bought, owned and sold a bunch of guitars, in fact more than I either can or care to remember. I "discovered" Taylors around 2006 after reading a review in Acoustic Guitar magazine. Never really gave Martins or Gibsons a fair shake but many other brands came and went. I finally realized that Taylor's Grand Auditorium size is the perfect blend of tone and comfort me (I lean toward the tone of larger bodied guitars) and have focused my guitar buying on Taylor GAs as is apparent in my signature. This has really helped with GAS because the sky is no longer the limit for me. I'd like to add a revoiced 614 to my lineup after my 810 is sold. I really love what Andy Powers has done for Taylor Guitars as well as the company itself....

That's a solid collections of Taylor's!

So for you not much of an "itch" to check out other brands. That does make GAS much easier... until Taylor releases a limited edition seasonal guitar [emoji23]
Old 07-26-2017, 09:20 AM

I also had an Ovation (Balladeer 12 string) as my only guitar for more than 10 years (unplugged only). As I really enjoyed the quality of the guitar that I felt was associated with being made in the New Hartford plant the logical step up was to New Hartford made Guild. I ended up with two Orpheums that are quite enjoyable. You may want to check out the Guild D55 and F50 for their traditional sitka/rosewood models - some of these can still be found as NOS from New Hartford. However, what I missed with the Orpheums is the playing comfort that the Ovation provides, so I also acquired an Adamas 1687 - and that for me is the guitar that can do anything and leaves all others in the dust behind. The ultimate keeper for me. Authorized Ovation dealers may still have some NOS or order a new one in, and the anniversary Adamas are supposed to be spectacular too.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Baby Taylor
Taylor GS-Mini Mahogany
Taylor 314
Taylor 514
Taylor 816ce
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 814ce DLX*
Martin HD-28*
Martin OM-28VTS*
Gibson J-200 Rosewood
Gibson Dove
I've been playing since 1967 and haven't owned that many guitars in all my years of playing. I think many go through the interminable cycle of buy/sell/trade because they don't really know what they're looking for.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I've been playing since 1967 and haven't owned that many guitars in all my years of playing. I think many go through the interminable cycle of buy/sell/trade because they don't really know what they're looking for.

Yes I 100% agree. How do you know what you're looking for until you find it? I know the answer is play as many guitars as possible. And I hope to do so. First I need to get over my fear of playing inside a guitar store. I know it's silly but it can be intimidating!

Also, with my current life my guitar browsing is primarily online at 2am while holding a baby in my lap. I've made many unnecessary offers on Reverb while suffering from lack of sleep! But it's been a very enjoyable experience (overall, had some nightmares) being able to spend time with each guitar in the comfort of my own home before either keeping it or shipping it off.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I also had an Ovation (Balladeer 12 string) as my only guitar for more than 10 years (unplugged only). As I really enjoyed the quality of the guitar that I felt was associated with being made in the New Hartford plant the logical step up was to New Hartford made Guild. I ended up with two Orpheums that are quite enjoyable. You may want to check out the Guild D55 and F50 for their traditional sitka/rosewood models - some of these can still be found as NOS from New Hartford. However, what I missed with the Orpheums is the playing comfort that the Ovation provides, so I also acquired an Adamas 1687 - and that for me is the guitar that can do anything and leaves all others in the dust behind. The ultimate keeper for me. Authorized Ovation dealers may still have some NOS or order a new one in, and the anniversary Adamas are supposed to be spectacular too.

I've never played a Guild. This is good info I'll have to check them out.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's a solid collections of Taylor's!

So for you not much of an "itch" to check out other brands. That does make GAS much easier... until Taylor releases a limited edition seasonal guitar [emoji23]
Thanks. I only purchase Taylor GAs without cutaway or electronics so most of the Taylor limited editions don't appeal to me....
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-26-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
You sure you want the revoiced 614?

Have a listen to my 2008 one.
https://soundcloud.com/kyung-min-mic...nday-afternoon
Old 07-26-2017, 09:36 AM

I've loved Martins since the 60's, now I'm in my 60's !~!~!

The only stepping up I've done is within Martins lines and I'm pretty much at the top of the food chain. Had Collings, Bourgeois and a Taylor along the way, played other big name boutique guitars over the years, my Martins are what my ears want to hear and they are more than satisfied...........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:54 AM

My buying and selling curve has been much like the OP's watch analogy.

I started with an Art & Lutherie cedar and was happy with it for a couple years.
After the point where I decided I was going to stick with the acoustic guitar I moved up to low end Taylors and Martins.
From there I "traded up" to mid range Martins then a few boutique along the way, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois and Goodall.

Eventually I purchased a few luthier build guitars: Jesse Stearn, Ostoff and an Olson SJ.
Along the way I dabbled in vintage with a banner LG-2 among others. All these guitars purchased previously owned which allowed me to try many guitars without really ever taking a hit when re-selling.

At this point, 10 years later, I have learned where my comfort zone is (for now anyway) on price vs tone. I have learned that after around the $2500 mark the up-tick in tone is not worth the extra cash to me, my ears and my playing style.

I've settled on a couple nice mid-range guitars that make me perfectly happy and my self imposed discomfort of owning a multi-thousand dollar music box is put to rest.

My current guitars:
Martin 000-18ge
Gibson J-45
Halcyon OM
Harmony Sovereign H1203
Old 07-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
You sure you want the revoiced 614?

Have a listen to my 2008 one.
https://soundcloud.com/kyung-min-mic...nday-afternoon
No, I'm not positive, but I'm a big fan of the other revoiced Taylors I've played/purchased....
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion