The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie_GT View Post
I change my strings fairly often. If I use the "cleartone coated" (MSP7100) Martin strings, they can last as long as 3 months. Non-coated strings last about a month. My body chemistry corrodes strings and after a while I can hear the difference in the sound. I like PB strings.

I cannot see how anybody can go a year (or more) without changing strings.

I once saw an Ebay ad for a D-28 someone was selling. It was bought in the 70s new and claimed to still have the original strings!

How common is this?
FYI - Cleartone is no longer doing the coating on Martin LifeSpans, changed about 1-1/2 years ago. I liked the Cleartone-coated strings better.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-26-2017, 07:10 AM
Guest4562

I don't know, my guitar tech handles all that.

Really, about once a month or so. But you do run into the occasional set of strings in which one string goes dead early for no apparent reason. Since I don't keep single strings on hand, I just change out the whole set.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Before every performance.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:03 AM

Back when I used to perform almost every week I changed the strings on my custom D28 every week. I loved the sound of new strings on the Martin, the newer the better. I thought it made my playing sound a few notches better than it actually was!
Old 07-26-2017, 08:17 AM

The only advantage I can see to using very old strings is if you are trying to learn palm muting. The dead strings will help you get into your head what its supposed to sound like. You have pretty much guaranteed success that then you can transfer to real strings.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:22 AM

Not often enough. For this year I was trying to use a set of summer guitars to play more outsid, and keep the Orpheums as winter guitars. Also the plan was to change strings at the beginning of the season. Well so far the plan is not going well - I'm playing the Oprheums almost more than the Ovations, and I have not put fresh strings on the Ovations as the weather is just too nice to sit inside and wrestle with strings. But ideally I think I'd like to change them every two or three months on guitars that get played regularly. And yeah the d'Addario NBs can really last that long!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:48 AM

Usually 1-8 weeks after I notice that I need to do so. Generally every 5-6 months.
Except on my twelve strings, they're usually once or twice per decade.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogstar View Post
Usually 1-8 weeks after I notice that I need to do so. Generally every 5-6 months.
Except on my twelve strings, they're usually once or twice per decade.
Whether they need it or not?
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Under normal circumstances, every 2 months.

I don't change them when they go dead - because, frankly, mine don't, although a new set is brighter and fuller.

I use non coated PB D'addarios.

This year has been very different - because of my cancer treatment and after effects, I had to stop playing in April, and I've just finished a stretch of restringing my four dreads, which have had the same sets since Jan/Feb.

None were dead but looked a bit coppery.

As I write, I have next to me my British made 0028 which usually hangs on the wall in my cell (tiny office) and sounds beautifully, with a set of EJ16s which it has worn since September 2016, and were previously used on my 000.

My mandolin is sitting on a chair in the lounge wearing a set of PB strings (JDs) which are of similar age (Sept 16).

I have hygrometers all over my house, and despite it being a very cool damp day today, and my wife likes as many windows open as possible, my house seems to be pretty much stable at 45-50% RH.

Also - I don't seem to have acid sweat, although much has changed in my body this year and I hope my body chemistry hasn't been changed.

Apart from all that - normally - 2 months.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Under normal circumstances, every 2 months.

I don't change them when they go dead - because, frankly, mine don't, although a new set is brighter and fuller.

I use non coated PB D'addarios.

This year has been very different - because of my cancer treatment and after effects, I had to stop playing in April, and I've just finished a stretch of restringing my four dreads, which have had the same sets since Jan/Feb.

None were dead but looked a bit coppery.

As I write, I have next to me my British made 0028 which usually hangs on the wall in my cell (tiny office) and sounds beautifully, with a set of EJ16s which it has worn since September 2016, and were previously used on my 000.

My mandolin is sitting on a chair in the lounge wearing a set of PB strings (JDs) which are of similar age (Sept 16).

I have hygrometers all over my house, and despite it being a very cool damp day today, and my wife likes as many windows open as possible, my house seems to be pretty much stable at 45-50% RH.

Also - I don't seem to have acid sweat, although much has changed in my body this year and I hope my body chemistry hasn't been changed.

Apart from all that - normally - 2 months.
Hmmmm I thought I was the only one that didn't hear dead strings, maybe I don't have hearing loss after all.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-26-2017, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
Hmmmm I thought I was the only one that didn't hear dead strings, maybe I don't have hearing loss after all.
Hi, I can hear dead strings - my point is, I usually change them long before they go dead, and sometimes strings keep some life for ages - esp. if kept in a stable environment.

Still nothing like the sound of brand nooo strings tho'
Old 07-26-2017, 03:47 PM

When they start to sound dead on my acoustic.

On my electric when they break.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

My guitars that stay at home all have either Elixers or D'Addario coated strings so I change those when they start to look old an tarnished. Usually about 3 - 6 months. For my gigging guitars, they get changed after the 2nd show because I play harder live and I start breaking strings after the 2nd show.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-26-2017, 03:57 PM

I drop my wife off at the hairdressers then walk round the corner to the local guitar shop and get new strings - so that would be every 6 weeks.

YouTube
Old 07-26-2017, 04:17 PM

I think putting a time frame is kind of meaningless. We both may change strings every three months but I might play an hour a day and you might play two hours a day.

A better question is how many playing hours before you change strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion