The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2017, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I have yet to play a D 28 that I like enough to buy......I think there must be something wrong with me, I so desperately have always wanted one because of all the music that I like that has been written using a D28 and all the singers and their songs that have been part of my life since the 60's. But I've yet to find it.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmcook View Post
i have found all guitars sound good but some sound better.
You never heard my old McPherson

Had a high end McPherson Camrielle for a brief while, striped ebony, bear claw sitka - very flat acoustically, only useful if plugged in.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I must have been very lucky that both of Gibson's are awesome.
I think it's that you either really like the Gibson sound or you don't. I enjoy most Gibsons I've played and "GASsing" hard for a J45 right now. There's been a few I've played that the guitars weren't so stellar, but I've experienced that with other makers, even my favorite manufacturer, Taylor.

My only two disappointments were a 70s D18, and a a Taylor 410ce Koa. I bought the D18 being ingnorant of the problems that plagued 70s Martins and it had horrible intonation and needed many repairs to fix it. Lovely sound though. I traded it towards my DN8.

The 410ce Koa, was the only Taylor I've had that truely sounded overly bright and sterile. After many string experimentations, I finally sold it on here because I didn't play it much. Taylor dreads are my favorite, but that example just didn't have it.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:24 PM

I've bought and sold some guitars that didn't work right for me but I'd say I've never been thrilled with the Martins & Gibsons I've tried at Guitar Center. The D-28 wasn't bad but I didn't fall in love with it and the J-45 and D-18s I tried at GC didn't move me either. Traditionally, I've loved the sound of those guitars and figured I'd want one on the spot but I suppose I just don't like those guitars when I play them.

Guitars I've LOVED include an Eastman J-45-style with rosewood back & sides, a Gibson J-35 or J-15 (whichever has walnut back & sides) and a Taylor 310 and a 324.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 07-25-2017, 01:29 PM

I've yet to be disappointed because every guitar I've ever bought (except for one) was a guitar I'd played extensively before purchase. I knew exactly what I was getting.

The one exception was a Taylor GA3-12 that I had made for me by Taylor ... and after it arrived and I played it a while, I discovered that it just wasn't the guitar for me.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 07-25-2017, 01:32 PM

Default I was most dissapointed in the acoustic guitar ....

.... I spent the most money on. I'll not name names as to not tarnish the sterling reputation of the building company. None the less, it was the most expensive guitar I have purchased to date and so I mistakenly expected a tone to reflect that expense. What I learned was the expense reflected the woods, bling and design rather than the tone, which to me sounds ordinary (not bad, but not worth the money I paid IMO and not consistent with other owners who rave about the tone of this company). This is the guitar that formed my opinion that after 3-5K, you are no longer paying tone, but for bling and name sake. Even if you disagree with that price point, the lesson is you can only purchase so much tone, and after that, you are paying for the prestige/reputation of the name, design and woods.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 07-25-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

My most disappointing guitar was a used D P/W I purchased from a forum sponsor.
The guitar was in perfect physical condition when it arrived but never had any bass and sounded rather weak and subdued. A trial of several different brands of strings didn't seem to improve things.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:36 PM

I played a few McPherson's at a show a year ago and none were any good. Very quiet for a large bodied guitar and very heavy. Also, when I was first looking for a good acoustic about 25 years ago, I wanted a Gibson. I tried several different models and a few of each model none of which were very good in either sound or build quality- very disappointing. Settled on a Martin and have had those ever since.
Not much of a trial I know, but enough to tell me that my "favourite" (or so I thought) Gibson could be such a let-down.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I ordered a great looking used J45TV a few years back after playing a couple locally. I couldn't wait to get it. Then I couldn't wait to return it. It was horrible, no volume, no bass, no typical Gibson midrange "woof". Set up was spot on, but it didn't have "it".
Old 07-25-2017, 01:54 PM

My first good guitar, a 1962 Gibson J-50. Unfortunately, the tone sucking adjustable bridge performed just as you would have expected.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:09 PM

Oh forgot one - a Stonebridge Mahogony OM I bought used...great build great shape, but man it was BRIGHT. So shrill I couldn't take it and returned it the next day.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:12 PM

Most disappointing I ever had was a Lys made in Canada. The body was an all blondish almost white wood so thin sunlight would shine through it. It was a beautiful guitar to look at but had zero, zilch, nada bass tone at all. Light as a feather for a dred as well. Never have seen another one.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:30 PM

I can't seem find a J200 I like.

Same goes with any Martin. The only one I liked was an old DCME that I had, it really sang.

Finally, I returned (at a loss) a Taylor 618 that sounds fab in the store, but I hated it when i brought it home. It took me over 45 days to realize I hated it.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:50 PM

My biggest disappointment was my most expensive and longest waited for, a Gibson True Vintage SJ-200 Adirondack. $4900's worth of regret.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:55 PM

My J45. I bought it off the back of its reputation, and initially liked it because it was a J45 and I knew even less about acoustics than I do now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion