The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-25-2017, 08:33 AM

Default Ukulele advice?

Hey all-- My daughter has expressed an interest in playing ukulele (its a boyfriend thing). I figure that I might as well dive in, also, and my hands are too chubby for a Soprano size. So... I'm looking for a decent Tenor or Concert size Uke. Any advice on brand/model? I would prefer a decent, but not top-line (ie-- not too expensive) instrument.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2017, 09:14 AM

I don't know much about Ukes, but just bought this one for my girlfriend for her birthday.

https://kalabrand.com/products/ka-c

Seems like a decent concert at a not too expensive price. It was the only one at the store that didn't feel like a cheap toy. $150 Canadian dollars.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:53 AM

I usually suggest the Kala Travel ukulele as a first instrument, if you can afford it. They always sound amazing for such a thin body, are well set up and intonate well too.

If your hands are chubby and / or you mostly play guitar, think about the tenor size. 17" tenor scale instead of ~15" concert scale length makes it much easier for guitar players. You can find more detail here: http://www.boiseukulelegroup.com/uke-basics.html
Old 07-25-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
...I'm looking for a decent Tenor...Uke. Any advice on brand/model? I would prefer a decent, but not top-line (ie--not too expensive) instrument...
Bought this one for my wife as an anniversary present a couple weeks ago:

https://www.elderly.com/instruments/...or-ukulele.htm

Here's a demo video:

Not exactly "cheap" but not terribly expensive either: all-solid-wood (spruce/maple) construction, first-rate QC, flawless setup from Elderly, loads of natural projection (think "cutting power," as with a good archtop guitar - this one'll stand out when you're playing with other instruments) and compares favorably with ukes I've heard/played at two and three times the price. I used to tell my guitar students (and their parents) to invest in quality from the get-go, that the extra money spent on a well-constructed, good-sounding/playing instrument was not only never wasted but paid dividends in increased interest and proficiency; unfortunately most people tend to think of the uke as little more than a novelty, don't realize that there are major differences in construction quality (basically the same ones that apply to guitar, BTW) as you move up the line, and have little understanding of what constitutes "good" uke tone - as one making the transition from guitar you do, and as such I'd say do it right the first time around...
Old 07-25-2017, 01:25 PM

Thanks, all. I contacted a guitar/ukulele buddy of mine and he had just bought a new uke and another had to go. So... he scored me a great deal on what is probably a too-nice instrument: a Koaloha KTM-!0s tenor. At least I won't be looking to upgrade soon...
Old 07-25-2017, 04:18 PM

Sounds like a "win" to me!
Old 07-25-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks, all. I contacted a guitar/ukulele buddy of mine and he had just bought a new uke and another had to go. So... he scored me a great deal on what is probably a too-nice instrument: a Koaloha KTM-!0s tenor. At least I won't be looking to upgrade soon...
Yeah that's about as top of the line as it gets, certainly way out of my league.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:23 PM

Creme de la creme - use it well and often...
Old 08-02-2017, 09:39 AM

Default Ukes

I play a PONO tenor size. All solid wood. Love it. Expensive, but I play professionally. Check out "The Ukulele Site", where I bought mine. Many, many, many choices, all prices. Recommendations: If finger picking, get "low G tuning" (linear tuning.) If just strumming, regular "re-entrant" tuning. Also, get strap buttons.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I usually suggest the Kala Travel ukulele as a first instrument, if you can afford it. They always sound amazing for such a thin body, are well set up and intonate well too.

If your hands are chubby and / or you mostly play guitar, think about the tenor size. 17" tenor scale instead of ~15" concert scale length makes it much easier for guitar players. You can find more detail here: http://www.boiseukulelegroup.com/uke-basics.html
One of my students has the Kala Travel uke concert scale, and that thing is loud for such a little instrument. Around $225

Also look into Cordoba's 15CM, nice concert uke for around $100. They also make a tenor size.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Another Pono fan, although I will differ on the low G string and fingerpicking.
I love fingerpicking with a high G strung tenor. Different strokes....

You can get a fine uke from Pono for around $400. Of course you can't go wrong with what the OP did.

My current small instrument fetish is my mandolin.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-02-2017, 01:33 PM

I think what's nice about the low G tuning is that I have the lowest note(s) possible at my thumb. Which approximates most other stringed instruments. With the re-entrant tuning this string always sounded out of place to me. This higher G string does sound great strumming though. Aside from the nylon strings and higher register of ukes. this gives it that characteristic sound that most people recognize and like. (Check out "Uke Jake" on YouTube if you haven't. He inspired me to opt for the low G.)
Old 08-02-2017, 02:35 PM

I'm pretty sure that Jake Shimabukuro plays a high G instrument, much to my surprise and amazement. I prefer the low G version myself, but there is no arguing with that incredible level of success. If you've never seen him play live, do it!
Old 08-02-2017, 03:11 PM

It sounds like you got a wonderful Ko'aloha to get started with. If you acquire a bit of UAS I'll put in another good word for Pono. We have four in the family and they are all awesome.

Mark
Old 08-02-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Dang. I'll bet her first car will be a BMW

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments