The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-24-2017, 12:06 PM

Default Favourite Emerald Options and Wish Lists

Having only been in the forum for about 2 months now, you all have helped me clarify my latest obsession with your posts. Now it’s time and I’m ready for an X20. So I thought I would ask about favourite options and wish lists. I plan to order my X20 with a wider neck, to better fit my extra large fingers. And I believe I want the Anthem instead of the Element. But I wanted to get feedback on other options, not including colours (I think it’s presumed we would all prefer a Woody, but we do what we must to get what we want, sometimes with compromises).

What options have you gotten that you liked or did not like, if any? Anyone tried the fan frets? Pinless bridge? Alternative pickup systems? Built in tuner would be nice, but Snarks are easy to get. I saw one Emerald with a Celtic knot at the 12th fret. This looked great to me, I’d love to have knot fret markers for the rest of the fretboard too. I’ve never used edge dots, never needed to, so I wonder how quickly I’ll adjust. Other wish list items?

Just wondering, and since this is a lively bunch, thought I would ask for your opinions.

Go raibh mile maith agaibh

Emerald X20 Artisan w/Anthem
83 Martin D 18
Washburn Augusta
Yamaha 12 string
Old 07-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I bet whatever you get, you'll be happy. I got an X7 recently, but the only option was the Woody finish. Wish I could help you on some of the other options, but you've come to the right place for expert advice!

Good luck... let us know what you order.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:36 PM

Hi Big John ! Welcome !

As I understand it from another thread, fretboard markers are a bit of a no-no in the Emerald world , "spoils" their signature look (apart from that discreet Celtic knot on that special edition).

I'm sure the guys here will be happy to spend your money modding your Emerald for you!

I'll start the ball rolling, have a separate end pin and jack socket and say farewell to strap security worries.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:44 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I haven't opted for Emerald options other than a cocobolo woody veneer top on my soon-to-arrive Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck. You seem to be well-aware of what custom options are available, and have realized you'll prefer a wider neck. In case you don't know, the other neck comfort options are shorter scale, AND custom carved neck where Emerald will send you a mold to shape to your preferred guitar neck shape (e.g. Taylor) then return to them for application.

As for fretboard markers, with CF guitars I prefer the side dots only and had no problem adjusting. I admit that I do like one unique marker like the Celtic knot, but only at the 12th fret. A pinless bridge is something I'd consider in the future, but never fan fret for me personally.

Emerald is a joy to work with, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the forum discussions while you await your future X20.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:58 PM

My only option from the standard X20-12 was to ask for twenty frets instead of 24 frets. I never fret in that area, but I do strum there on many guitars and did not want to hit the edge of the fret board. I'm pretty happy with the 1-7/8" standard width for twelve strings.

I have another thread this morning asking about shorter scale lengths, and the jury is still out - although I am currently leaning toward 24-3/4" instead of their normal 25-1/2".
Old 07-24-2017, 02:41 PM
Guest 928

I've had three Emerald nylon string guitars, each with a 1 7/8" nut width. Each was very nice to work with.

You might also consider neck shape as an important part of your order.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Guest 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I'll start the ball rolling, have a separate end pin and jack socket and say farewell to strap security worries.
Agreed, I found the Baggs end button a bit tricky and am currently working on a solution.
As far as the neck goes, my other guitar is a Taylor 314ce with a slim neck and I have no trouble swapping between them. I may not be as sensitive to neck shapes as better/more experienced players.
I really like the Crystal Ice finish on the b & s but opted to have the front face of the headstock in gloss to match the soundboard, looks great.
And of course, if you like the woody option, they do them very well!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:12 PM

I have a green X20 Artisan, and like it a lot. That said, if I were to do it again, and I may someday, I will get a shorter scale length. I can play my Taylors, even the GA's with the 25.5" scale length for hours with no issue. If I play the Emerald for 2-3 hours my fingers really hurt, and I am not sure what is differn't here. I also have Taylor GC 12 frets and a Rainsong Shorty that have a shorter scale and I can play them until my fingers won't respond but without pain
Just my experience, ymmv.
As to woody's, they look great, but so does every emerald from Opus on up, so order with no worries.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:00 PM

So far so good on the suggestions. Separate end pin and socket is good thinking. I would have never thought of separating them. Can't rely on that cable to stay in place and hold the strap. Should I ask about a StrapLok install?

As far as frets, I can see where the extra few frets could interfere, thanks for that suggestion too. I may get far up the neck sometimes, but 24 frets is 4 more than the most I have now.

As for color, I have to forgo the extra $460 (or more) for a woody but that's fine with me, gotta save a few bucks for the wife to spend so I can continue to live.

And letting you all help me decide/spend is why I posted, because this will probably be my last brand new (only my Martin was new) guitar ever, and very likely my last guitar period. I have what I need, this is just an indulgence, a late life crisis so to speak. So bring on the ideas, I welcome them.

Emerald X20 Artisan w/Anthem
83 Martin D 18
Washburn Augusta
Yamaha 12 string
Old 07-24-2017, 07:09 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Big John, since you'll be going with a CF weave of some color and have seen the diagonal layout, for the first time (so far as we know), Emerald did the June Select Series with a unidirectional weave layout. In case you haven't seen and want to consider, here 'tis.....

Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I'd love an X7 that was basically the exact same dimension (scale, nut, etc) as my Taylor GC7 so it would feel like playing my Taylor.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I'd love an X7 that was basically the exact same dimension (scale, nut, etc) as my Taylor GC7 so it would feel like playing my Taylor.
That's doable, and Emerald can even make you the Taylor or other builder) neck profile for an upcharge. I believe they send you a material to make a mold of your preferred neck profile.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
...have a separate end pin and jack socket and say farewell to strap security worries.
I wish I had thought of that before I got my X20. It's not worth the effort/worry to drill an extra hole, but if I was ordering I would definitely have them separate on the next one.

The other thing that I would do if I could do it again is have a slightly shorter scale. Say 24.5 to 25.0 inches. I got an Opus X20 for a beater and have ended up keeping it as my primary guitar, so there you have it.

Not much else really bothers me about my X20, so that's my 2 cents.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

I have a very basic red Opus with no pickup, the only changes I would make is the 20 instead of 24 frets and a shorter scale. Love the guitar as is though.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:00 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
That's EXACTLY what I did with my new X7. Loving it!

Only regret is not thinking of a woodie in time, but I do like the green, so all is good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber