The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-26-2017, 05:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canerod View Post
Mr.Falk,
Thanks for pointing this video out!

As soon as I started listening to Tim play I assumed he was using a manly set of strings, and bingo! He's playing .012-.054 with an unwound G!

He's down a half step, and that pretty much is what I end up with playing a D'Addario J-21 set in open D, although my wounds are a little lighter.

What I think he really revealed in this, though, is the solution to a problem I noticed from the first day: The wound G I'm using is NOT as loud, and next to unwound B, it's very unbalanced. This is NOT apparent in my video when the amp is pinned, but playing clean? Forget it......I'm going to try the unwound G and hopefully that will negate the G-B balance issue.

Tim's a real guitar player, by the way!

Thanks again!

Howard
Old 07-26-2017, 05:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default A still shot of the Tele

Here's an overall shot of the body.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

HE
Old 07-26-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Mr.Falk,
Thanks for pointing this video out!

As soon as I started listening to Tim play I assumed he was using a manly set of strings, and bingo! He's playing .012-.054 with an unwound G!

He's down a half step, and that pretty much is what I end up with playing a D'Addario J-21 set in open D, although my wounds are a little lighter.

What I think he really revealed in this, though, is the solution to a problem I noticed from the first day: The wound G I'm using is NOT as loud, and next to unwound B, it's very unbalanced. This is NOT apparent in my video when the amp is pinned, but playing clean? Forget it......I'm going to try the unwound G and hopefully that will negate the G-B balance issue.

Tim's a real guitar player, by the way!

Thanks again!

Howard
Always happy to share good music or ways to achieve it. Glad you enjoyed the vids.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:18 AM

Wow, what a beautiful guitar - great tone too.

Man, that is one monstrous looking slide. Do you have really large fingers? A slide that size would "walk" off my hand during a Blues shuffle.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-26-2017, 10:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Wow, what a beautiful guitar - great tone too.

Man, that is one monstrous looking slide. Do you have really large fingers? A slide that size would "walk" off my hand during a Blues shuffle.
Hi Roy,
I cut it from a magnum size champagne bottle with my wet saw.

I've been playing slide since 1970, and I figured out long ago that the natural tendency is for the finger to curl, especially when I'm also fretting while wearing a slide.

The extra room allows my finger to bend inside. I also have a small piece of felt inside.

Yes, I do have large hands. The other consideration was the concave shape of the glass fits the radius of the strings.

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars