The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-25-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Back to the original NGD post with a bit of GS mini bashing thrown in for flavoring.

I don't think the GS mini is the right guitar to compare to a Savoy. I haven't had a Savoy in my hand, but I have had others such as a Cargo to compare against a mini and that really warped my brain because I was completely wrong going in. I revised my opinion when I found that Cargo was such a better feeling guitar (neck and sound) than the mini. I think the minis are beautiful and wouldn't kick one out of the house, but they are too small for me because of the skinnier neck.

How does the Savoy compare to guitars that are closer in size such as a parlor, Lucky 13, or maybe Journey?

BTW the KOA on the pictured mini is awesome which is why I was very close to getting a Taylor before I fell into the X20 trap.
Really unfair to compare the Taylor Mini given it's a $500 guitar? The Cargo is 3X that? I had the Mini for a while and the neck is a $500 guitar neck.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-25-2017, 07:36 PM

I compare guitars in different price ranges all the time. I like what I like, so sometimes the cheap Ibanez wins against something like a Huss and Dalton and sometimes it doesn't.

While it's true you can get 3 to 5 minis for the price of one Savoy, I would rather have one guitar I really like than a dozen that make me go meh. I go meh with the Cargo even though I like it a lot better than a mini. At 22 and something inches it's definitely better than the 17" scale guitalele, but not enough to be worth 10 or more guitaleles in my opinion but I still compare them.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-25-2017, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Why the GSmini bashing? Well, this is the carbon fiber forum, and the Mini isn't... but, I still have a Mini (an early edition, when the spruce top was all they made). I admit that I don't play it much these days, but I did pick up some strings to set it up for Nashville Tuning when we get home. Because... it's there.

The GSmini was my travel guitar before I found the joys of carbon fiber. The neck isn't "bad," it is simply short scale and 1 11/16" nut width... and a buyer should know that going into it... shouldn't be a surprise.

From my perspective, it is a decent small guitar. Not everyone can spring for a pricier carbon fiber guitar... but this one is good while you're saving up the bucks.

And now, back to the CF portion of our program.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:15 AM

Getting back to the Savoy, I've never named a guitar before, but I'm thinking of naming mine "Harley". Goes back to when I had several motorcycles, but every time I took anything but my Heritage Softail I wished I was riding it. Feel the same way recently when I travel with anything but the Savoy.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:53 PM

Not naming mine Yamaha.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
blackbird, ekoa, savoy