The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-16-2017, 04:13 AM

Default "The Walking Fly" - original fingerstyle piece

Hi all,

A funny thing happened on the way to the studio this past week. Well, not for me, but one of my trio bandmates was unavoidably detained. Since I was already there we took the time to record one of my recent compositions that my bandmates like (and will add flute and violin to at our next session).

I'd appreciate any comments on the tune, and on the recording of it (note: this is the raw track, no effects, not even EQ'd yet, just a great room, an excellent engineer and great equipment all around).

For those who care about such things (yes, I do), the tune is in Dm, played on my Lowden O23c with an Esus4 partial capo in "A" position at the 3rd fret in DADGAD tuning. I notate this partial capo tuning as DA(DGA)³D and it gives an open-string "effective" tuning of DAFBbCD.

Thanks,

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

I like it! Very well done.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Truly well played and beautiful. Brings to mind moonlight, the beach.. all of that.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Hi all,

A funny thing happened on the way to the studio this past week. Well, not for me, but one of my trio bandmates was unavoidably detained. Since I was already there we took the time to record one of my recent compositions that my bandmates like (and will add flute and violin to at our next session).

I'd appreciate any comments on the tune, and on the recording of it (note: this is the raw track, no effects, not even EQ'd yet, just a great room, an excellent engineer and great equipment all around).

For those who care about such things (yes, I do), the tune is in Dm, played on my Lowden O23c with an Esus4 partial capo in "A" position at the 3rd fret in DADGAD tuning. I notate this partial capo tuning as DA(DGA)³D and it gives an open-string "effective" tuning of DAFBbCD.

Thanks,

Phil
Well Done!!
Old 07-16-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Nice playing and tune though I would like more variety in it.

The natural room reverb characteristics sounds good at first. However it does result in loss of clarity and makes
for a somewhat distant sound. One can't totally "fix" that post recording should one want to. For a dry recording
I would go for less reverb and a more intimate sound. That would also would give more tweak "play room" post
recording.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-16-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Truly well played and beautiful. Brings to mind moonlight, the beach.. all of that.
Interesting, Toby (and thank you for the kind words). When I wrote it I was thinking lazy thoughts and thought of calling it "Lazy Bones" but then I saw this fly walking ahead of me along a trail (note that I'm a botanist/entomologist and nature photographer that specializes in macro photography of insects in an alternate life). There was nothing apparently wrong with the fly but no matter how much I "bugged it" I couldn't make it take flight...I thought this was the epitome of "lazy," thus the tune's name.

Phil

Old 07-16-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Nice playing and tune though I would like more variety in it.
Thanks, Derek. FYI, I was keeping it simple to leave room for the flute and violin parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
The natural room reverb characteristics sounds good at first. However it does result in loss of clarity and makes for a somewhat distant sound. One can't totally "fix" that post recording should one want to. For a dry recording I would go for less reverb and a more intimate sound. That would also would give more tweak "play room" post recording.
An easy fix, Derek, since the level of the room mics can easily be lowered to suit. Keep in mind, too, that this is a raw recording...haven't even played with volume levels yet...so what might sound "distant" may be me over-playing (under-playing?) with the dynamics of the piece.

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate everyone's comments!

Phil

Old 07-16-2017, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, Derek. FYI, I was keeping it simple to leave room for the flute and violin parts...

An easy fix, Derek, since the level of the room mics can easily be lowered to suit. Keep in mind, too, that this is a raw recording...haven't even played with volume levels yet...so what might sound "distant" may be me over-playing (under-playing?) with the dynamics of the piece.

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate everyone's comments!

Phil
Your welcome. For what it's worth, I did open the recording in my DAW and played around with it (equalization, reverbs, etc.). No go on removing the distant sound or improving intimacy of the sound. However if the recording was done with close mikes and distant mikes and you can eliminate, or at least lessen, the volume of the distant mikes then great. Actually I would like to hear that sometime.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-17-2017, 10:13 AM
Guest 33123

Great Phil!
Old 07-17-2017, 01:06 PM

Beautiful playing, beautiful music!
Old 07-18-2017, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

That sounded wonderful, Phil! Very nice composition and very well played! Also, very well recorded! Just the right amount of reverb, too, even if it's all natural. Then again, maybe the natural reverb is one of the myriad reasons why it sounds so good!

I really love this! Well done!

- Glenn
Old 07-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

A very nice composition, performed beautifully!!
Old 07-18-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
... (and will add flute and violin to at our next session).
I can really hear that in my head. I'd love to hear it with flute and violin. I don't know what you're imaging, but I'm hearing a jazzy flute and a soulful violin.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:00 AM

Thank you, all, for your comments and kind words. I do appreciate it.

FYI, I wanted to get my thanks in today 'cause I'll be spending the next week at the Boxwood Festival in Lunenburg, NS. Boxwood was primarily a teaching and networking festival for flute, started by Chris Norman, but also includes a pretty wide variety of acoustic instruments including violin, cello, nyckelharpa, harp, guitar and other 'things with strings'. This year, for the first time, they have three guitarists on staff: Tony McManus, Tomas Lindberg from Sweden and Eamon O'Leary from Ireland. Tomas also plays Swedish bouzouki and cittern and Eamon includes bouzouki, tenor banjo and Irish song. Should be a great week!

Phil

Old 07-23-2017, 09:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Phil, this is really well done. I like it a lot, and would love to hear it again after the violin and flute are added. But it stands up on its own with just the solo guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell