The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-14-2017, 08:03 PM

Default Good price on Tacoma mandolin on the Anchorage Craigslist

Here's the listing:

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/msg...219766314.html

Here's the photo:

Tacoma mandolin

The person selling it should be commended for truth in advertising, too; the ad copy reads:

Quote:
Fun mandolin for a guitar player or singer songwriter.
not much "chop" so bluegrass players will not like this.
Plays great
comes with case and set of strings
That's accurate: Tacoma mandolins seem to please guitarists looking for a second instrument to double on more than serious mandolinists. And it's a good price for that mandolin, as well.

I'm pretty certain that's the first Tacoma mandolin I've ever seen for sale on our local Craigslist. I saw a few in stores when the Tacoma Guitar Company was still in business, and I played a bunch of them at the factory the times I visited there. But they don't come up for sale very often, at least not around here.

Anyway, if anyone's looking for a solid wood mandolin with a more guitar-like sustain and tonal quality, these Tacomas are a good bet. It's got a flat solid Sitka spruce top and a flat solid Honduran mahogany back. The sides might be either solid mahogany or laminated mahogany, depending on year of manufacture.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments