The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

View Poll Results: Which sound clip sounds better?
Clip #1 10 31.25%
Clip #2 9 28.13%
Clip #1 sounds better, but needs work 3 9.38%
Clip #2 sounds better, but still needs work 5 15.63%
Neither clip sounds that good, get back to the woodshed 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2017, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Clip 1 - cleaner, more acoustic.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

#1 has too much noise and is unnaturally bright.
#2, while not great, is much closer to where I'd want the sound to be.

If I had to guess, #1 sound like it was recorded with a dynamic mic, while #2 was recorded with a large diaphram condenser.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-13-2017, 11:02 AM

I can see nobody agrees on this one!

I like number 1 better. For me, this one has a slightly muddy tone that I like and number 2 is brighter-which I find annoying. That's just me, ymmv, but I'd pick #1.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:25 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Thanks everyone for your input. The entire song (the rest of clip #1) is here.

Clip#1 guitar is the Larrivee OM-05. Clip #2 guitar the Martin D-16GT.

Recording details:

Clip #1: One condenser mic (AKG Perception 150) about 8-10" from about the 3rd fret. Recorded in mono, with the track copied to a second then hard panned. Compression and a touch of reverb.

Clip #2: Two condenser mics (AKG Perception 150 and Rodes NT5). XY mic placement about 8-10" from the sound hole. Then hard panned. A touch of noise removal and compression, no reverb. I also used a equalization thing that lowered the bass (obviously not quite enough, )

I preferred Clip #2 because of the fullness of it and I thought there was less player caused background noise (i.e. sloppy playing) than clip #1.

So the muddiness of clip #2 is probably the result of a few things:

1. Noise reduction - always muddies it a bit.
2. Martin dread
3. Mics too close.

Future plans:
1. I'm going to try turning the mics a bit more away from the guitar (both are cardiod) and spacing them back a bit.

2. Experiment with different panning.

3. Spend more time practicing instead of posting so my playing becomes cleaner.

4. Work on a good combination of effects - reverb when needed, compression, noise reduction and equalization (depending on the guitar used)

Thanks again for the feedback everyone, it was a great help.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-13-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. The entire song (the rest of clip #1) is here.

Clip#1 guitar is the Larrivee OM-05. Clip #2 guitar the Martin D-16GT.

Recording details:

Clip #1: One condenser mic (AKG Perception 150) about 8-10" from about the 3rd fret. Recorded in mono, with the track copied to a second then hard panned. Compression and a touch of reverb.

Clip #2: Two condenser mics (AKG Perception 150 and Rodes NT5). XY mic placement about 8-10" from the sound hole. Then hard panned. A touch of noise removal and compression, no reverb. I also used a equalization thing that lowered the bass (obviously not quite enough, )

I preferred Clip #2 because of the fullness of it and I thought there was less player caused background noise (i.e. sloppy playing) than clip #1.

So the muddiness of clip #2 is probably the result of a few things:

1. Noise reduction - always muddies it a bit.
2. Martin dread
3. Mics too close.

Future plans:
1. I'm going to try turning the mics a bit more away from the guitar (both are cardiod) and spacing them back a bit.

2. Experiment with different panning.

3. Spend more time practicing instead of posting so my playing becomes cleaner.

4. Work on a good combination of effects - reverb when needed, compression, noise reduction and equalization (depending on the guitar used)

Thanks again for the feedback everyone, it was a great help.
If your xy configuration was really directly in front of the sound hole, that would be there singular thing I would alter before addressing all those other things. Move it to the 14th free and try again [emoji145]
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 07-13-2017, 08:37 PM

^^^^
Yes, +1 on this!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 07-13-2017, 08:55 PM

i chose number 1. i thought there was better note separation and not quite so muddy as number 2.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:38 PM

Clip 2 without a doubt is more of what you would here on a record. I have worked on a few records so there ya go. Richer tone, better balance and overall much more pleasing. Sounded great to me, Barry!
Old 07-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Thanks everyone!!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-14-2017, 11:27 AM

Clip 2 for me. Clip 1 was too bright, too much reverb, and not pleasant to listen to. Clip 2 was someone deader, but more pleasant overall. Noise canceling cancels more than just noise.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

clip 2 by a long shot. It's warmer, more balanced, less room sound. Clip 1, sounds like it was recorded in a hard-walled room, very bright, too much harsh room sound.

People's preferences may depend on what they listen on - on tiny computer speakers, there may not be that much difference, and the brightness of #1 can help "cut thru", a concept that makes me shudder (I don't want a "cutting" guitar sound), but that does appeal in some cases, may shine on some speaker systems and so on.

Other than noises, clip 2 sounds pretty good. There are a few cases where lower notes seem too prominent, likely from proximity effect. But a bit of EQ could fix that. If it was downloadable, I could do a quick "mastering" pass on it to see what it might sound like with just a touch of polish.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I missed your description of what you did. I wouldn't do XY with different mics like this. Mics don't have to be "matched pairs", but they should be the same type, and ideally even the same brand, so you have similar levels and response. With two very different mics like this, spaced pairs would be the way to go.

What noise reduction are you using? Good noise reduction shouldn't make things muddy. If yours does, I'd probably just skip it. A little noise on an internet post isnt a deal-breaker, and if you go for something you want to release, you can have someone mix/master it who has good noise reduction.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:22 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I missed your description of what you did. I wouldn't do XY with different mics like this. Mics don't have to be "matched pairs", but they should be the same type, and ideally even the same brand, so you have similar levels and response. With two very different mics like this, spaced pairs would be the way to go.

What noise reduction are you using? Good noise reduction shouldn't make things muddy. If yours does, I'd probably just skip it. A little noise on an internet post isnt a deal-breaker, and if you go for something you want to release, you can have someone mix/master it who has good noise reduction.
I was using the noise reduction in Audacity. I can adjust how much noise I remove. I try to remove that "white noise" that I find I get, but when I changed my recording chain it decreased a lot.

I have a MML 991 cardiod condenser that I can use with the AKG. I'll check the specs on them to see how close they are. I've noticed that the Rodes NT5 is more sensitive than the AKG. I'm going to move the mics away from the sound hole and then go from there. Thanks for your help Doug.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-14-2017, 06:27 PM

No question: clip 2. A lot cleaner mic sound. The difference is really night and day. I'm listening on a nice big pair of studio monitors turned up.

Last edited by jhmulkey; 07-14-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

I don't use Audacity, but my bet is that it's noise reduction is pretty basic. Older overall noise reduction software definitely tended to damage the sound, and is probably best to just avoid. For anyone wanting noise reduction software iZotope's new RX Elements at $129 appears to be a steal (tho understandably a lot pricier than Audacity...)

But I think your track 2 has plenty of promise - sounds quite good, and would be all you'd be likely to need with just a few tweaks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD