The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-05-2017, 10:52 PM

Default Supro Titan redux

So, I've been noticing that my Supro Titan, fine amp though it is, has a tendency to sound a bit honky in the midrange (naturally it lacks any midrange controls) and I've suspected all along that what I've been hearing is the un-broken-in Eminence hemp-cone 10". I've tried running this thing at punishing levels, hoping that the speaker will break in and sound better, but that speaker will break me in long before that occurs and then I will be deaf.

I've tried running it with an extension cab that has a Celestion V30 in it...nothing doing, as the 10" Eminence completely drowns out the Celestion. If I remember right, the Eminence has a much higher sensitivity rating than the V30.

So, I've been considering swapping out the Eminence Hemp-cone speaker for a Celestion G10 Vintage which is basically a 10" version of the V30, rated at 60 watts. I was a bit hesitant to do this, as the way this amp is built, there really isn't enough room to easily access the connectors...it's really tight in there and to do anything from the back of it, one would have to remove the protective screen and the tubes

The upshot is that I finally tried taking the baffle off, and as it turns out, the 8 screws on the grill in the front are actually what holds the baffle in place...the whole thing comes off with the speaker attached. You can just disconnect the spade connectors on the speaker and remove it. I also wanted to try to do this so that I could plug in just the V30 extension cab to see what it sounds like, but couldn't get at the speaker connectors from the back.

To my ear, the sound of this amp through the V30 is a big improvement over the Eminence...much more crisp and balanced with much less midrange "honk" and a wider response overall. It looks like I'll be swapping the hemp-cone out for the Celestion G10 Vintage. At about $95.00 it is far from the most expensive Celestion out there, and is moreover the only 10" they seem to make that has enough power, unless you count bass speakers.

I was quite relieved to find that this baffle came out so easily...the only thing to watch is that the grill cloth is quite fragile with the edges exposed so care will need to be taken.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars