The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-16-2017, 06:31 AM

Default Just ordered X20 Woody

Well, it is all you CF freaks faults: I came here to moderate a thread that was getting a little unruly and saw the Woody's...let's just leave that sentence alone, I am a moderator after all!

I have been in contact with Sean who has answered everyone of my emails and despite the time difference, we seem to have got along fine because my Woody is on order.

I am happy to say I will have the first Pau Ferro veneer X20. Love being a trend setter.

Here is the veneer I selected. It will darken with the resin, but it looks pretty darned cool right now I believe...I am not going with the Crystal Ice finish although I am on the fence regarding that. Otherwise everything is standard...

Last edited by TomB'sox; 07-09-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

HA! Sucker!! Welcome to the 'now-the-painful-wait' club. I, too, have picked out my veneer but I'm going to wait until the finish product is in my grubby hands before I reveal what I went with. Congrats on your pending X20 Woody. Did you do any customizations? That was one of the best things about working with Sean was their ability to really make my X20 a guitar that has everything I want it to be. It's going to be a LONG five months!!
Old 05-16-2017, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, another new Emerald on the way. That is one awesome looking veneer. I know i got mine already but somehow i am still as excited to see everyone's finished Emerald.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:33 AM
Anticipation Junkie

That's a wonderful looking veneer. Being the first, it'll be nice to see the finished comparison. I'm intrigued. Enjoy the wait!
Old 05-16-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I'm chuckling as I read this...

"Alright, what's all the fussin' about here? Ohhhhh, that is pretty! ..."

Hooked!

That's how it happens for some of us.

Congratulations on your custom woody order - that veneer looks gorgeous! And, as pretty as it will be, I have no doubt you will be equally impressed with the sound and feel.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Congratulations, another new Emerald on the way. That is one awesome looking veneer. I know i got mine already but somehow i am still as excited to see everyone's finished Emerald.
I feel the same; love what I have, but truly enjoy seeing all the impressive woody-artistry from Emerald.

Thanks, folks, for sharing!
Old 05-16-2017, 10:54 AM
Guest 928

Very nice choice of veneer. When finished you will have a gorgeous piece of musical art. Congratulations!
Old 05-16-2017, 12:26 PM

Looks awesome Tom. Another 'woodie' convert!
Old 05-16-2017, 01:07 PM

that veneer looks awesome. what was your though process in how to decide on what to choose?
Old 05-16-2017, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Didn't take long to get hooked, did it?

That's really beautiful, Tom. That's gonna be sweet. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I've got one (an X-7) that should be here within a week or two, so I'm excited. Welcome to the club...
Old 05-16-2017, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Well, it is all you CF freaks faults: I came here to moderate a thread that was getting a little unruly and saw the Woody's...let's just leave that sentence alone, I am a moderator after all!

I have been in contact with Sean who has answered everyone of my emails and despite the time difference, we seem to have got along fine because my Woody is on order.

I am happy to say I will have the first Pau Ferro veneer X20. Love being a trend setter.

Here is the veneer I selected. It will darken with the resin, but it looks pretty darned cool right now I believe...I am not going with the Crystal Ice finish although I am on the fence regarding that. Otherwise everything is standard...

I'm going to order one like that for my daughter Mia.

It will be called the Mia Ferro..............LOL!!

Congrats on the new addition. That's going to look awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product!!
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80

Last edited by jwhelan56; 05-16-2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added
Old 05-16-2017, 02:17 PM

Thank everyone, it is fun for sure. I was told it was just about a 5 month wait at this point....that's fine, need time to come up with the rest of the payment anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
that veneer looks awesome. what was your though process in how to decide on what to choose?
Well, I am pretty easy. I loved the Cocobolo that is on their site and I believe one that was delivered here...I knew I wanted a brown tone, pretty rich and dark, Sean sent some pics and it was done...I know there should have been more, but I saw something I really liked so did not look at too much more, plus it is kind of cool being the first one of anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Didn't take long to get hooked, did it?

That's really beautiful, Tom. That's gonna be sweet. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I've got one (an X-7) that should be here within a week or two, so I'm excited. Welcome to the club...
That is fun, been thinking on it for awhile and when the woody option came out, I was just drawn to it, sort of best of both worlds kind of thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I'm chuckling as I read this...

"Alright, what's all the fussin' about here? Ohhhhh, that is pretty! ..."

Hooked!

That's how it happens for some of us.

Congratulations on your custom woody order - that veneer looks gorgeous! And, as pretty as it will be, I have no doubt you will be equally impressed with the sound and feel.
That is exactly how it happened. If you guys would have been playing nicer, I would have more money in my bank account. If fundraisers were not against forum rules, I would start one and make you guys ante up hahaha!!!!
Old 05-16-2017, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

I think it is hilarious that you came here to get us in order and you end up ordering a woodie.....

Congrats on your selection, it will be stunning I'm sure. I've been thru the wait 2x and it goes pretty fast, best thing to do is to try and forget about it for a few months. Can't wait to see it.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
My experience was the same as Tom's: I saw those cocobolo models and fell in love with that dark color with the sapwood center. Sean sent me several photos like the one Tom posted and one jumped out at me and I asked him to take another couple of shots moving the template around a bit and they nailed what I was looking for. There were a few of that Pau Ferro like Tom's that has some incredible figuring.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:54 PM

Another great veneer choice!

Each of these veneers these past months have been stunning--and yet they can also be so different.

Decades ago, I waited a year and half for a guitar from a famous maker. It was more than worth it.

This summer will pass quickly, as they always do--and a box will suddenly be at your door.

I'd love to see side by side photos of the final guitar compared to the raw veneer to see what changes the top coat brings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber