The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Great pics Jim, did you add the padding to the chair arms or did they come that way? I gotta do that to the deck chairs.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Great pics Jim, did you add the padding to the chair arms or did they come that way? I gotta do that to the deck chairs.
Bought those chairs that way. We also carry one of the folding chairs that have been discussed on the forum here, which has no arms - it is great for a bigger guitar, but the X7 feels comfortable in either.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

An update: we are on the coast of Maine at Bar Harbor. It has been cool, humid, and foggy here the last couple days. I sat outside for a while this morning, enjoying the X7. It is totally happy with all the climate changes we've been through in the past month and a half.

We decided to take it over to the Schoodic Peninsula (mainland part of Acadia National Park) for some new photos. In the fog...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/07...ing-music.html

Picking our locations to work with the light...

New business cards options, thus the space on the right. Well, that, and I like asymmetrical composition.

While shooting at the first location, a young man (20-something) commented about the X7 - I invited him over to give it a try. He could play. And, had never seen a CF guitar before - he was mesmerized. Just doing my part to spread that CF love around.

Jim
Old 07-17-2017, 05:55 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Jim, I find your pose in the last pic as the best with the lighter background allowing for better print clarity as business card detail.

Nice pics. You guys are lucky to be able to trip around as much and as often as you do. With all that, I assume you don't compromise any quality family time.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:17 PM
Guest 928

OK, Jim, I hate you! You and your happy guitars, off on a lark while the rest of us are laboring in ceaseless labor. I want your boat, and I want your beach, and I want both of your guitars. I'll let you keep your wife since I already have one. Send me the titles with your first free moments. Thank you.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Jim, I find your pose in the last pic as the best with the lighter background allowing for better print clarity as business card detail.

Nice pics. You guys are lucky to be able to trip around as much and as often as you do. With all that, I assume you don't compromise any quality family time.
Thanks, Tom. Travel has been a part of our lifestyle during most of our years together. We retired early, 11 years ago, so we could do the boat cruising and RV traveling we enjoy.

Family time is good: our one and only daughter lives about 1,348 miles from our home... we go there, she and her husband visit us. In their 40s, they are still working folks (as we had been with our previous "fun summer jobs"). When we go to visit them, we generally stay for a couple months... not with them, but in our motorhome. They are both teachers - we volunteer in their classrooms, make supper for them, and run errands. We see them after work, then they get their house to themselves and we go back to our cruising condo... not too much togetherness, so each day is a delight.

When away, we check in with them each night by phone or text. When boat cruising, we used a SPOT device (satellite) to let them know where we were and that we were OK. Somewhere along the way, the roles change and the kid starts worrying about the parents. They understand our lifestyle, even though they prefer to cocoon at home.

They have been lobbying for us to move to Phoenix. If they had a grandkid for us, we might be willing. I've been told "that ship has sailed." IF we lived there, we'd still want to do the traveling, so it isn't like she'd see us any more than our current situation. When we do go home, we like having a house with water access... not much opportunity for that in the desert.

Probably more than you wanted to know.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:53 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Thanks, Tom. Travel has been a part of our lifestyle during most of our years together. We retired early, 11 years ago, so we could do the boat cruising and RV traveling we enjoy.

Family time is good: our one and only daughter lives about 1,348 miles from our home... we go there, she and her husband visit us. In their 40s, they are still working folks (as we had been with our previous "fun summer jobs"). When we go to visit them, we generally stay for a couple months... not with them, but in our motorhome. They are both teachers - we volunteer in their classrooms, make supper for them, and run errands. We see them after work, then they get their house to themselves and we go back to our cruising condo... not too much togetherness, so each day is a delight.

When away, we check in with them each night by phone or text. When boat cruising, we used a SPOT device (satellite) to let them know where we were and that we were OK. Somewhere along the way, the roles change and the kid starts worrying about the parents. They understand our lifestyle, even though they prefer to cocoon at home.

They have been lobbying for us to move to Phoenix. If they had a grandkid for us, we might be willing. I've been told "that ship has sailed." IF we lived there, we'd still want to do the traveling, so it isn't like she'd see us any more than our current situation. When we do go home, we like having a house with water access... not much opportunity for that in the desert.

Probably more than you wanted to know.
No, not at all. I find this very interesting. At 55 y/o, my wife and I also retired fairly young...5 years ago. Perhaps you read a post I made not too long ago, where I had mentioned that for a few years leading up to retirement, we took up sailing, bought a Catalina 22 to eventually work up to buying a Gemini 105 sail cat (my wife isn't overly fond of heeling) to cruise the Caribbean (and perhaps elsewhere as skills improve) each winter. We went to Florida with an idea of buying one, but after a lot of discussion, we decided that full-time winter sailing wasn't for us.

Then we planned to RV/motorcycle. I bought a HD Road King to get my skills back, and planned to tow it behind a smaller RV, a Mercedes sprinter chassis type. After two seasons of riding, again returned to Florida with a plan to buy the RV at which time our $Cdn was at par and as fixed properties were very affordable, again we changed our mind, deciding to fist establish ourselves in the south, so we bought a manufactured home in Fort Myers Beach. This doesn't mean that the RV/bike plan in particular isn't in our future. Quite the contrary and in fact the urge is rising in me again. We'll have our north and south homes as base camps.

Our two married sons and one granddaughter (to date) live within a 1/2 hr.of us (younger son and d-i-l) just bought land and are about to break ground for a new custom home this summer/fall) will be only 7 min. from us. We are all close both socially and geographically, so although we (me in particular) want to travel a lot throughout North America, this closeness it's our kids could likely make being on the road a lot difficult, even with social media.

Anyhow, I read this thread of yours somewhat living vicariously through you in my longing for the open road, and water, and cf guitar playing.

Probably more than you (or other readers) wanted to know. Oh well!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
OK, Jim, I hate you! You and your happy guitars, off on a lark while the rest of us are laboring in ceaseless labor. I want your boat, and I want your beach, and I want both of your guitars. I'll let you keep your wife since I already have one. Send me the titles with your first free moments. Thank you.
I would certainly do that, Evan, but I know you are all about the nylon... and none of my guitars are nylon strung (is that the right tense?), there is no nylon on the beach or our boat. No sense sending what you don't really want. Oh, and I'll let you keep your ceaseless labor, since I, too, already have a wife.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
No, not at all. I find this very interesting. At 55 y/o, my wife and I also retired fairly young...5 years ago. Perhaps you read a post I made not too long ago, where I had mentioned that for a few years leading up to retirement, we took up sailing, bought a Catalina 22 to eventually work up to buying a Gemini 105 sail cat (my wife isn't overly fond of heeling) to cruise the Caribbean (and perhaps elsewhere as skills improve) each winter. We went to Florida with an idea of buying one, but after a lot of discussion, we decided that full-time winter sailing wasn't for us.

Then we planned to RV/motorcycle. I bought a HD Road King to get my skills back, and planned to tow it behind a smaller RV, a Mercedes sprinter chassis type. After two seasons of riding, again returned to Florida with a plan to buy the RV at which time our $Cdn was at par and as fixed properties were very affordable, again we changed our mind, deciding to fist establish ourselves in the south, so we bought a manufactured home in Fort Myers Beach. This doesn't mean that the RV/bike plan in particular isn't in our future. Quite the contrary and in fact the urge is rising in me again. We'll have our north and south homes as base camps.

Our two married sons and one granddaughter (to date) live within a 1/2 hr.of us (younger son and d-i-l) just bought land and are about to break ground for a new custom home this summer/fall) will be only 7 min. from us. We are all close both socially and geographically, so although we (me in particular) want to travel a lot throughout North America, this closeness it's our kids could likely make being on the road a lot difficult, even with social media.

Anyhow, I read this thread of yours somewhat living vicariously through you in my longing for the open road, and water, and cf guitar playing.

Probably more than you (or other readers) wanted to know. Oh well!
Sailing, motorcycles, and guitars... seems we have much in common. The Gemini 105 is a neat boat - we considered one (had a Corsair trimaran at the time) as a retirement boat, but opted to go for a powercruiser... and enjoyed the cruising life.

You are blessed to have a granddaughter. We have seen more than a few boat cruising and RVing couples who moved back to a sticks and bricks because of the pull of a grandkid. I totally get that!

We did the two-house north/south thing for a number of years, then decided we would be perfectly happy if we never had to deal with snow again. I get itchy feet if I am anywhere more than a couple months. With kids living close by, you could travel for a few weeks/months at a time, and have someone to keep an eye on your house... then come home and get the family fix, 'till you're ready to roll again.

Truth be told, I would be happy with no house, but the Blonde likes to have "a base." OK, thinking about that, I wouldn't have room for a selection of guitars... scratch that idea!

Yeah, it comes back to the guitars.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:06 AM

Jim, thanks for the pics, takes me home as I grew up not far from there and both Schoodic and Bar Harbor were regular visits for me. You helped me select my first CF guitar too, a Shorty, via PM from another forum and I have enjoyed reading about your travel adventures as well. Funny, I travel for a living, sail(on a friends boat, best kind) and am thinking of the RV for retirement, no wonder I enjoy reading of your travels.
So keep the stories and pics coming...
Old 07-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
Jim, thanks for the pics, takes me home as I grew up not far from there and both Schoodic and Bar Harbor were regular visits for me. You helped me select my first CF guitar too, a Shorty, via PM from another forum and I have enjoyed reading about your travel adventures as well. Funny, I travel for a living, sail(on a friends boat, best kind) and am thinking of the RV for retirement, no wonder I enjoy reading of your travels.
So keep the stories and pics coming...
Thanks for the kind words, FF. OPB (Other People's Boats) is a great way to sail. We started seriously RVing in the early 90s (after having a series of campervans), and find it a great way to travel. Only pack once, then go enjoy.

This is a beautiful area - we enjoy the rugged beauty of the Maine coast. Seeing all these boats does make me yearn for getting back on the water, but that will be a while. This was our "end destination" for this trip, now will be looking for interesting places to visit as we wander our way back.

The Shorty I have is still part of the stable... so many good CF options.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 07-18-2017, 09:36 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

As with you, and others, our kid lives a long way from home. We live in Vegas and she lives in Tacoma. Like you, we visit and do what we can to make life easier. We have also considered moving north because we have a grandson.

I'm a desert rat and don't much like Tacoma in the winter, but I do like the Medford area. Part of my motivation is to get out of the southwest. The long drought, the increasing heat, and the unsustainable population growth leave me a bit spooked.

I have enjoyed your road trips and fearless entry to cf instruments.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Evan.

When our daughter got married and moved to Phoenix, that distance was tough. We had a home in the frozen northland, and she wanted to be somewhere that she "never had to shovel snow again." I am not a desert kinda guy, but I will go there a couple months each year to be with our sweet daughter. She is not a fan of the south Texas humidity, but they come to visit us. It's what you do to be together.

A grandkid definitely changes things.

It doesn't always work out, but my goal is to be where "the weather suits my clothes." Umm... it was in the 60s today on the Maine coast.

"Fearless" entry to CF? Oh, I had concerns, but they have gone by the wayside. I thought (like many) that a sacrifice in tone would be a good trade-off for the ease of care... until I discovered that I really, really like the tone of my CF guitars. Not a sacrifice, but an upgrade!

Your posts about nylon string guitars has me curious. I played a classical nylon string at Gear Fest, but it didn't "move me." I'll be anxious to see and hear your new Emerald when it arrives.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 07-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Guest 928

Jim;

I am not the best advertisement for a guitar and I have asked Alistair to do a demonstration before the guitar is shipped. I have no idea when the instrument will be finished but in the meantime I have a nice sense of anticipation.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

It doesn't always work out, but my goal is to be where "the weather suits my clothes." Umm... it was in the 60s today on the Maine coast.

Jim
A few years ago my wife and I visited Schoodic Peninsula (Schoodic Point near Winter Harbor, ME) during February. It was light jacket weather (about 50 degrees) and very pretty and peaceful. The evergreen trees, rocky coast line with addition of snow on the ground added to it's picturesque beauty. We visit Schoodic Point every year.
Quoddy Head in Lubec, Maine is another picturesque area, if you don't mind the drive.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber