The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2013, 11:56 AM

Question Good deals you've passed on?

Just this past week, I saw a Little Martin LX1E for 150 and a Blueridge BR-73 for 180 on Craigslist. Both seem to be in good condition and the sellers were willing to even come down a bit more from their asking prices.

It took a lot of will power for me not to purchase those guitars. Especially thinking that it would be fairly easy to turn them around for a profit. But I just didn't want to deal with the "hassle" and my wife's already complaining that I already have too many guitars. Though when I showed her the pictures of some of the collections of other people here, I think she suddenly became thankful.

What good "no brainer" deals have you passed on simply because you didn't really need it or just have "too many" guitars already?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:20 PM

I passed on a new Epi Masterbilt EF500RCCE once, it sang like the angels, but had an ever so small crack in the top. Store wanted $300.
Probably a $50 repair. My loss.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:30 PM

Just about a week ago I saw a Gibson "A" style mandolin on my local Craig's List, supposedly in great condition, for $500. It came with a hard shell case and the picture of it made it look like new.

I didn't really "pass" on it......I just waited about 5 minutes too long. If ya snooze, ya lose!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:12 PM

I have been on craigslist alot.Found a little acoustic with a crack in the neck for 15 dollars.Im emotionally obcessive about and i wanna save it.but i have 3 other projects that need to be finished.im torn...
Old 07-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Guest4562

That girl in Philadelphia in 1972. Oh guitars! Never mind.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:18 PM

Went into a small store in Jackson TN many years ago. The 2nd generation had just taken over the operation from their parents. Not much there except a beautiful Gibson L-5 archtop. Still had hang tags on it. Apparently, they "found" it in the warehouse, didn't even know they had it and assumed it was ordered new and never put up for sale. It was not cheap, I could have maybe stretched to buy it, it's worth a small fortune today.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:43 PM

Way back in about 1978, I went to an estate auction. I passed on a Gibson ES-335 and Ampeg Jet amp that went for $400 total. (In 1978, that was a lot of money to me.) I imagine that combo would be worth 10x that today.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Oh, so many I can't list them. It's a list even longer than the guitars-I-sold-that-would now-pay-off-my-mortgage list.

I try not to contemplate such things unless I have a couple of spare days to make a list of every bone-headed decision that I have made in my life; the older I get, the more time it takes to make such a list.

But on the other hand, I think that it shows wisdom and restraint sometimes NOT to buy a guitar just because it seems like a good deal. Whenever I get that "I could flip this in a few months and make a bit of coin" idea, I try to squash it, reminding myself that selling guitars is a hassle that I frankly do not enjoy any more.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-28-2013, 05:47 PM

Default Good deals you've passed on?

A ton. Most recently a good friend and high end dealer here has a Masterclass Custom Larivee in his shop. Highly figured Koa and a spruce top. I've never been a fan of Koa because I find it too bright. Not this thing though. Warm, deep even dark. I was completely in love. He has it listed for $6500 but would sell it to me for $4000 even. I hadalready ordered my custom Taylor though so I couldn't take him up on it.

Last edited by JLed79; 07-29-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

I passed on a Martin D-18GE on two different occasions, one from a retail seller who offered me an unbelievable price and then later from a fellow AGF-er who offered me an incredible deal. But I already had acquired my Collings OM1ADB guitar. The Martin D-18GE, though it was amazing, really didn't improve on what the Collings could do. In both situations, I had to pass up the guitar.

Sometimes I wonder...

- Glenn
Old 07-31-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
That girl in Philadelphia in 1972. Oh guitars! Never mind.
Hahaha
Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 PM

I passed on a used Koa T5 because I didn't have the money at the time. A week later I had the money but it had sold.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 PM

I passed on a Bedell OM-12 GS on ebay. It was an awesome deal and I was about to press the buy it and couldn't pull the trigger. Someone else bought it and I got in touch with them and they said it arrived mint condition.

I just couldn't afford it right now. I doubt I will find a deal like that again--the seller was desperate to sell it quickly.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 PM

About 15 years ago I could have purchased a Trainwreck Liverpool amp for $4k. I didn't have $4k and missed out. It sounded great, but $4k...no way. Now...the same amp sells for north of $30k!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:42 PM

A couple of months ago, the guy who runs the local shop clued me in on a student of his who was willing to sell me a nice used Larrivee L-05 for around $700. I had just written out a seriously BIG check to one of my daughters toward her upcoming wedding expenses and I felt pretty broke. I said no to the Larrivee. I'll never find a deal on an L-05 like that again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion