The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
The faceplate looks much better in the flesh. Black would have been nice though (I looooove black headstocks!). Not a big fan of sunburst headstocks...

Anyway... I don't think it's top secret, the cost for a sunburst was 500$ for my Savoy, no idea if a different faceplate color would cost more. This finish isn't done internally by Blackbird. If you're as shallow as I am, totally worth it
Thanks Tof. There was a time up to a couple of years ago where prices could not be openly discussed, but it's been totally ok since. I agree, money well spent!

I just revisited a Savoy thread started by Ted where he stated "They are $2495 without, and $2695 with MiSi electronics." So, where I earlier speculated in a post of a price just north of $3k, I was pretty close. For me, what I'd want with the burst headstock, I'd probably be looking at $3,400 + taxes + Cdn$ exchange bringing it up to about Cdn $5,000 when all is said and done. Ouch! My new woody Chimaera costs less than that! If I'm ever to buy a Savoy, it'll be planned for when our Cdn$ is at/near par with the US$, which is always an unknown. That's what I did when I GASed for a Chimaera back in late '12. Luckily for me back then, our Cdn$ was at par at the time.

Note to self: Don't sell any guitars to calm the GAS! Follow the therapies of GAS Anonymous!

Last edited by Acousticado; 07-09-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:09 PM

I recall just a few years ago the Canadian dollar was more valuable than the US dollar. And then the subsequent drop again.

I watch currency exchange rates daily and it's still a mystery.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I recall just a few years ago the Canadian dollar was more valuable than the US dollar. And then the subsequent drop again.

I watch currency exchange rates daily and it's still a mystery.
I could be wrong, but to my recollection, the last time the Cdn$ was at or above par compared to the US$ was in 2012-13. My wife and I having just retired, decided to take advantage of our high dollar and buy a new vacation home in SW Florida. I also bought my Chimaera. In subsequent years, perhaps the Cdn$ has risen into the .90s, but I sure don't remember it being over par. Again, maybe I'm wrong. Of course, there are likely graphs showing the actual. All I can do is wait for the next time.

Edit: The CDn$ is at .78 today and has been slowly rising the past few weeks.

Last edited by Acousticado; 07-09-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Perhaps a scenario that could arise sooner is someone selling a used sunburst Savoy. Seems like we GASsers are always cycling through nice guitars!
Old 07-09-2017, 06:04 PM

2007 & 2008, then again in 2011-2013 the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar. Fluctuated from time to time, but generally stronger than the USD.

The Canadian side of my family loved coming down for shopping during those years.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?fr...o=CAD&view=10Y
Old 07-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

I didn't realize how much influence I have with the value of the Canadian dollar: seems that all that is necessary for the value to rise above the US dollar is for me to plan a boat cruise into Canada.

We did a day trip (by car) into Canada for the Busker Rendezvous in Kingston on Friday. Doing the conversion for liters to gallons, the cost in US dollars for a gallon of gas was around $2.80 or so (if I figured right). A bargain compared to the $6+ we paid for boat fuel when cruising in Ontario and BC in the past (check those upward spikes on the chart).

That said, fuel is a necessity... a new guitar is much more important than that!
Old 07-09-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
Perhaps a scenario that could arise sooner is someone selling a used sunburst Savoy. Seems like we GASsers are always cycling through nice guitars!
I wouldn't hold my breath, Mike.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:43 PM

Don't mean to hijack the thread...but...just helping with the gas.. or is it GAS

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-21-2017, 06:08 PM

Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-21-2017, 06:28 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
OMG, hubba-bubba! Do I notice a little blur applied to a particular part of that lovely girl's anatomy? What kind of guitar is that again?
Old 07-21-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
OMG, hubba-bubba! Do I notice a little blur applied to a particular part of that lovely girl's anatomy? What kind of guitar is that again?
Oops... you had to notice...didn't want Unc Evy's heart to go all over drive.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:41 PM

In this particular example we have the lovely super model Bria demonstrating the lack of fear one may have whilst having a fine well crafted and ever so playable instrument of fine music making so darn near water at a dentist's house high on a mountain in 100 degree weather in July (a cool day actually) and such. Thank you Bria.... now back to the photo shoot... and where did Gumby go? Geeesshhh ... always something with that guy I tell ya.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:48 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
In this particular example we have the lovely super model Bria demonstrating the lack of fear one may have whilst having a fine well crafted and ever so playable instrument of fine music making so darn near water at a dentist's house high on a mountain in 100 degree weather in July (a cool day actually) and such. Thank you Bria.... now back to the photo shoot... and where did Gumby go? Geeesshhh ... always something with that guy I tell ya.

Hiding in the soundport maybe. That's where I'd be if I was him and pop out for a peek every once in a while!
Old 07-21-2017, 07:01 PM

Turns out he was over by the coy pond making faces at the fish and then was spotted up on a high door handle...darn kids.

And after acting up he gets... yes a kiss... it's really must be good to be green...

Last edited by kramster; 07-21-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:11 PM

OK so back to business... I thought I would show the lovely curved lines of the Savoy in contrast to the straight shadow lines. Sorry about the pesky super model, but ya whip out a camera and BOOM there she is... I gotta be faster it seems. I tried photoshopping her out but my computer kept over heating for some reason. But many of you may not even notice her anyway being all about the guitar and all. And thanks for understanding what a boy such as myself has to deal with regularly as of late.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber