The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Default back to square 1, (keep it simple)

Well, I tried XY away from the sound hole and didn't notice as much of a difference as I should. I even put a pillow behind the mics and turned the mics away from the guitar. Same thing just about.

I was reading on the internet at a few places regarding acoustic guitar recording. One of them mentioned that if you are in a 8 foot room, it will be very tough to get a good recording. That's where I am.

So... I thought about my initial diagnosis about the mics I'm using, the AKG Perception 150 and Rodes NT5. Great mics, but I bet for someone else's room. I went back to the original mics I had ($100 for both), the MXL 990/991 pair. I put the large diaphram in front of the sound hole about a foot or more back (might move it later to the right) and the pen condenser to the right pointing at the lower bout about 14-18" back. The first thing I noticed after a recording is the room noise is practically gone. The better mics are just too sensitive. I just want a decent, full sound of the guitar, not cd quality, but not with a lot of "air", just guitar. And I also want something that doesn't pick up every fret and string noise - solution was to move the mics away from the fret board, put nothing north of the sound hole. Granted, the mic doesn't have a brain as I learned from my reading () so they don't know how to focus on just the music and ignore the other junk, but these two mics were overkill for what I want.

I may treat myself to a Zoom H5 and try recording in other rooms. If I get the same sensitivity issue, I'll just return it.

Here is my latest creation, Clip #3, compared to Clip 2. #3 has amplification, no compression, and lower bass through equalization.

Clip 3:

Clip 2:

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure what you mean by having "amplification."

3 sounds much better than 2 but it could use some panning adjustment as the left channel is louder than the right.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-15-2017, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Room treatment by hanging 4" thick X 24" X 48" acoustic panels, possibly corner floor standing bass traps also.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Yes, room treatment.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by having "amplification."

3 sounds much better than 2 but it could use some panning adjustment as the left channel is louder than the right.
Thanks, easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Room treatment by hanging 4" thick X 24" X 48" acoustic panels, possibly corner floor standing bass traps also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Yes, room treatment.
Probably not going happen soon , but maybe. Thanks for the feedback.

My SoundCloud page

Old 07-15-2017, 12:04 PM

...or just some blankets up on mic stands. Doesn't need to be fancy. I have a thick quilt I hang up occasionally as a baffle. Something to tame the reflections a bit. Otherwise I actually like the room ambience. Gives it some character. Completely killing all room noise will sterilize the sound more than you should.

A little high end EQ and light compression (to smooth out the thumps) would really make the sound pop more as well. You could add some longer reverb to help the trails.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
...or just some blankets up on mic stands. Doesn't need to be fancy. I have a thick quilt I hang up occasionally as a baffle. Something to tame the reflections a bit. Otherwise I actually like the room ambience. Gives it some character. Completely killing all room noise will sterilize the sound more than you should.

A little high end EQ and light compression (to smooth out the thumps) would really make the sound pop more as well. You could add some longer reverb to help the trails.
Thanks! I had the "tube" feature on my preamp turned up too, I can turn that down a bit.

My SoundCloud page

Old 07-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

As I've probably said before, using the Zoom really simplifies things. You can stop worrying about mics, and studying polar and frequency plots, thinking about how sensitive the mics are or arent', wondering if your preamp is ok, or you need new converters, etc, etc, and just focus on the basics, like the performance and the sound in the room. Room acoustics definitely affect the performance, but with a portable recorder, it's easier to try different rooms. You might need room treatment - it never hurts - but you can often just find a place that sounds good, whether it's a different room in your house, or a friend's, a school, church, work, etc.

I don't want to highjack your thread, but I just did a little experiment inspired by your recent posts, and the comment about the 8 foot room. I'll post separately. (See http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f....php?p=5408743)

Last edited by Doug Young; 07-15-2017 at 12:51 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD