The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-14-2009, 05:04 PM

Default QSC K8 or K10?

There's only a small price difference between a QSC K8 and K10. Consequently, does it make sense to go for the K10? (Yeah, I know I should just listen to each side by side but this is tough to do in my home town, where these are hard to find.)

I take it the K10 has a bit more bass but am not sure if that's a factor given I'll be playing it using my Taylor 512ce and two vocal mics plugged into an Allen & Heath ZED 12 FX.

Should I save the $50 and apply it to a better microphone?

Thanks
Richard
Old 11-14-2009, 05:39 PM

My vote 10 cause bigger #.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnantel View Post
There's only a small price difference between a QSC K8 and K10. Consequently, does it make sense to go for the K10? (Yeah, I know I should just listen to each side by side but this is tough to do in my home town, where these are hard to find.)

I take it the K10 has a bit more bass but am not sure if that's a factor given I'll be playing it using my Taylor 512ce and two vocal mics plugged into an Allen & Heath ZED 12 FX.

Should I save the $50 and apply it to a better microphone?

Thanks
Richard
I'd go for the QSC K10 because it weighs only 5 lbs more than the K8 (32 lbs vs 27 lbs) and digs a little deeper into the bass-frequency range and dimensionally it's not much bigger. The K8, however, has a better mid-range/high-frequency coverage (105 degrees vs 90 degrees) and its size makes it cuter looking.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-14-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

I'd even consider a 12: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/367594.html

Brent
Old 11-15-2009, 10:18 AM

I actually went for th K8 after giving both a listen. When you do an A/B, punch in the "bass" selector and give them a good ear. I liked the smaller size and weight. All of that said, if it was my "main" speaker, I would get the 10 just for the bigger bass driver which gives you more flexibility in the long run. You would not be disappointed with the K8, but if you don't mind dropping the extra dime, the K10 is excellent. I have seen Doyle Dykes and Vicki Genfan play through the K8 (Doyle Dykes) with the powered QSC subs, and saw Vicki with the K12 as stand alone speakers and just a mixer. Both were incredibly clear tone with their trademark playing coming through. I am seriously impressed with the QSC line. After years of powered Mackies, (before the BOSE hit the market and I swapped it all out), the QSC line is light years ahead of any powered speakers I have used/heard.
I would say that if you are not in the top of the line sound realm -- high quality, high headroom audiophile power amp, SPS-1 preamp, Deadalus speakers, then you need to look at the QSC line with a good mixer. The sound reproduction, clarity and overall tone is seriously impressive. K8 or K10, you will be rewarded.
davidc
Old 11-16-2009, 05:29 AM

Any experience with the dispersion difference between the K8 and K10?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:30 AM

Both throw off sound at 105 degree dispersion. Just a bigger footprint for the 10" bass driver.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Any experience with the dispersion difference between the K8 and K10?
The K8's mid-range/high-frequency coverage is 105 degrees vs the K10's 90 degrees. The K12's dispersion is 75 degrees.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 11-16-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The K8's mid-range/high-frequency coverage is 105 degrees vs the K10's 90 degrees. The K12's dispersion is 75 degrees.

Regards,

SpruceTop
And what would be the pros and cons of those numbers? I would think that each of these are made for a completely different purpose.
Also for the use of a typical acoustic solo/duo with vocals I would think you would want as wide a dispersion as possible. No?

I'm intigued with what I have been reading on the K8's and K10's. I read a comparison (somewhere) between the EV SaX100 (the powered version of my new SX100) and the K10 that was pretty interesting.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
And what would be the pros and cons of those numbers? I would think that each of these are made for a completely different purpose.
Also for the use of a typical acoustic solo/duo with vocals I would think you would want as wide a dispersion as possible. No?

I'm intigued with what I have been reading on the K8's and K10's. I read a comparison (somewhere) between the EV SaX100 (the powered version of my new SX100) and the K10 that was pretty interesting.

From the QSC website page on K Series speakers:

DMT
Directivity Matched Transition matches the HF coverage angle to the natural coverage angle of the woofer for uniform frequency response over the entire coverage area.

I would think that the smaller K8 would be better suited for small clubs where the audience would be closer to being on top of the stage and thus its coverage would spread-out to cover more of the front-row audience so there is a lesser chance of "blind audio" spots.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 11-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Richard - Go with 10" or higher

Aloha Richard,

I would go with either a 10" or higher set. Why? You never know when you may have to play an outdoor gig, which may require a bit more power.

It also depends on the efficiency of the speaker. For example, my Daedalus W803's are three-way with just 8" speakers but work fine outdoors.

10's or 12's should work fine.

alohachris
Old 11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Folks: Time To Think! Something about QSC's specifications for the K Series speakers is that they say all these speakers have 1000 watts of power (500 watts Low Frequency; 500 Watts High Frequency) BUT they don't say at what frequency or over what frequency range this power is developed. Is the 1000 watt power rating RMS or peak? On paper, if you quickly look at the specs, these are the greatest thing since sliced bread but are they any better than the Mackie SRM450V2 and SRM350V2 sound-quality-wise and power-wise? I can't find any actual power rating per frequency specifications for the QSC models but Mackie does give us RMS power ratings at frequency specs that are available through their website. I can't find any exacting power specs for the QSC K Series speakers on QSC's website.

Has anyone compared the QSC K10 to a Mackie SRM350V2 or a QSC K12 to a Mackie SRM450V2? I think we should really make a live audio comparison, along with a thorough specification perusal, before jumping on the QSC bandwagon and rushing out to buy them because they're a one-year newer design than the Mackies. Something to think about is that because they're new and have a high wattage rating will they be the darlings of us all when a year from now someone else brings out a seemingly better speaker system? Are we that fickle and easily led?

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-16-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:04 PM

All three are power rated at 1000 watts. Thanks for correcting me on the dispersion patterns of the K8-K10-K12. I should have re-checked the website first. The 10" driver may make a difference outdoors, but from my experience with the K8, there was little difference outside. Notwithstanding that bit of knowledge, I agree with Alohacrhis, get the K10 if you can swing it.
Before it is all said and done, we will all be playing on the beach with Chris, listening to that great sparkle of the Deadalus cabs! Ah, if there is a heaven, please fill it with great gear...
davidc
Old 11-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha David

Aloha Braddah David,

Eh, come on out to the Islands. Play da guitars and ukes underneet da swaying palms, singing ow-ah hahts out undah da stars in da nahe-nahe tradeweens at night on da beach in December, wit da lovely wahines hula dancing.....everyone smiling.......Christmas time.

Yeah, and all us guys near bankruptcy our whole lives. Ah, the price of paradise. (Eh, if I can't save I might as well spend the little extra I get on great live and recording rigs, right? I mean at 60 - after surfing my adult life away - I've certainly earned it liddat, right? I chose he early retirement plan when I moved to the Islands from NYC 33 years ago.

Eh, we no mo' da kine second homes or savings for us guys out heah! So we play, we sing, we surf, we laugh.

David, if you feel like laughin' while you play and don't take anything very seriously, then come on out and we play. All dis kine equipment stuffs is secondary. Da juice is in the playing & living aloha spirit. But I'll take my Koa Daed's over anyting else out dere, anytime, brah!

Sing yo' song wit aloha, David!

alohachris

(back to woik!)
Old 11-16-2009, 09:37 PM

To me QSC is one of the top Pro brands out there. There rack amps are absolutely great and their specs are usually true and maybe even conservative.

I'm a bit disappointed that they jumped on the "marketting bandwagon" with these somewhat misleading numbers. (especially for the novice)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification