The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-21-2011, 02:07 PM

Actually, the Radial can be used as a two channel blender also.

What it lacks in that mode is separate EQ for each channel (its EQ controls work on the combined/blended signal).

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 11-21-2011, 02:30 PM

Lots of experiences, lots of opinions. Except for blending 2 channels, the BBE has all the features the Radial does including the maximizer. ( I use my Sunrise for more of a electric sound, so I blend a bit differently). If you have never used a BBE max, at least listen to what one will do. I have Radial stuff and I have BBE stuff. I have had better luck with build and performance from BBE than I have Radial. Radial has a 3 year warranty, BBE has a 5 year warranty. BBE gets a lot less exposure except for the people who have used them, who mostly love them. I have read many say they are the most under rated pre's out there. Again, more opinions.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:36 PM

Best: Pendulum SPS-1

Here's a couple to think about. Used them all. And the things I like about them and they are all collecting dust since I got my SPS-1:

DTAR Equinox: Single source. 3 band fully parametric eq. Some offer a sweepable mid's, this goes all out. For example, the SPS-1 has fully parametric EQ as well. This gives you tremendous control of your sound but it takes time to listen and learn what the knobs do. Once you do though it becomes easier. Has 2 notch filters as well. Very nice warm sound. DI out, FX loop, best I've used other than the SPS-1, and some things that aren't made anymore.

LR Baggs Venue: single source, floor pedal, volume boost, 5 band EQ, sweepable low and high mids, tuner, DI out, mute switch. Offers a lot in a litle package.

LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI: Fits into your guitar case. Operates off of battery only, 5 band EQ. Find them real cheap.

I have used some other real good ones in the past that aren't made anymore. Rane AP-13, Raven Labs, Fishman pocket blender.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-21-2011, 07:08 PM

+1 --> Pendulum SPS-1. In addition to it's high price and quality, it is an extremely versatile piece of gear. Check out the back panel and you will see there are many I/O's for a variety of patching options. Use it live, or use it in the studio.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntik View Post
Hi all,, what in your opinion the best preamp for acoustic guitar now;
You really need to spell out some requirements to answer this. The best one is the one that fits your needs. The SPS-1 may be the best audio quality and most flexible, but if you need it to fit in your guitar case accessory pocket, it'll be the worst. The Baggs Venue is an amazingly good sounding preamp, but if you need two channels, it won't work. Spell out what you need, and you'll probably only have 1 or 2 choices to pick from.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:35 AM

solstice and equinox, or the equinox with radial tonebone pz , is a good combination;Which one can approach the levels sps-1?

Last edited by ntik; 11-22-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 AM

Oops, forgot the quote - see below!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantrock View Post
Yes. You can use a parametric
I haven't yet used the fx loop on my Tonebone, but I wonder if it is advisable to put a parametric eq in the loop. If the loop works like an insert then yes, but if it works like an FX loop where the original signal path is not broken but the fx are added to the original (like on a regular mixer) then no.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-22-2011, 11:01 AM

Connecting the exit Out of the equinox, and the in entry radial, we will have problems;

Last edited by ntik; 11-22-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:23 AM

Possibly. If you're going to use a parametric eq then it should anyway sit in the chain before the preamp, not in the loop (even though Radial say you can, you'll get better results I feel this way).

Is the semi-parametric eq not good enough on the Radial? I like it fine, especially when used together with the notch filter and low cut options.

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-22-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Possibly. If you're going to use a parametric eq then it should anyway sit in the chain before the preamp, not in the loop (even though Radial say you can, you'll get better results I feel this way).

Is the semi-parametric eq not good enough on the Radial? I like it fine, especially when used together with the notch filter and low cut options.
can not compete with the semi-parametric eq of the radial, a parameter as the equinox.so it is not?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:47 AM

Oh I forgot, I have also used a Taylor K4. It sounded warmer and more "put together" than many of the others. It had a sweepable mid control and you could adjust the "Q". My guitar had a nice low end when I plugged into that box that others couldn't compare to it. It is a single source, very pricey compared to others. Very well built out of aluminum and a nice wood top to boot.

I also have a Bose T1 module. Has its merit for a small 4 channel digital mixer with effects but I don't like it at all for acoustic guitar. Doesn't have an XLR out. I can use it with my Bose PAS or I can use it on it's own powered by the optional AC adapter.

Wow, I liked the DTAR Equinox/Mama Bear combo I used to use when I was going without a mic. I missed the body sounds and pick noise though. It really did take out the Piezo quack and made it sound like you were hearing an acoustic guitar.

Wow, I used a lot of stuff! Ten years ago I probably could of saved a lot of money if I just bit the bullet. It's been fun trying new gear though. Now most of it is sitting in the closet.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 PM

I've owned almost every preamp that's been discussed on this forum (except the Pendulum SPS-1) and finally found what I was looking for with the BBE Acoustimax. I highly recommend it. I was looking to dial in a natural acoustic tone and if does exactly that.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:22 PM

You guys are killin' me... I keep reading and learning but you keep leaving me in the dust... parametrics, notches, sweeps, etc. A little English, por favor?

My question, silly as it may seem... is there really that much difference between a $40 Behrenger with IN/OUT/XLR and Low/Mid/High EQ and your $250 and up pre-amps? Does your output signal sound 600% better (like the price difference), or more like 3-5% better? And $2,000 for the SPS-1... you pay 2500% more money for maybe 5-10% improvement in sound?Maybe, but not to most peoples ears. Where is the point of diminishing returns?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
is there really that much difference between a $40 Behrenger with IN/OUT/XLR and Low/Mid/High EQ and your $250 and up pre-amps?
Absolutely! Definition, punch, hearability, EVERYthing. Except one version of my favorite is only $199. Other than that, YES. I have one for 300-400 that is still lovely. Then I hit the diminishing returns.

And even then if you really feel you need the absolute control of a killer three-band full parametric dual-channel, then the SPS-1 can be well worth the extra expense.

Diff'rent strokes.

If what you are playing through makes you happy and feeling all musical and all, then go with the happy and musical and all. k?

*everything* is a tone control

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification