The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2010, 06:45 AM

Default Preparing a T5 for stage.

I play mostly rhythm guitar and I'm considering a Taylor T5 for stage. My stage experience is minimal. I currently own three amps; a Polytone Mini Brute, a Vox 10 watt multi-effects and an Acoustic Fishman Loudbox 100. I typically use the Fishman with a Martin 000 with a us pup. I use 3 different electrics straight into the Vox. This is good for living room play but what do I need to get that T5 to sound sweet on stage. Or, for that matter the guitars that I am currently using. I appreciate any and all suggestions but will limit them to a budget of $1000 or less for equipment. thanks and cheers michael s.

Godin ACS SA Sunburst
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Campbell American UK1
G&L ASAT Classic
Aria Sinsinido
Fender Precision Bass
Old 04-09-2010, 06:51 AM

search my threads under "dcopper" and look to all the related threads on T5 from the many forum members who play T5 guitars.
Your question, quite rightfully so, is way too broad to answer in any one way. These threads may help you.
good luck
davidc
Old 04-09-2010, 06:52 AM

The trick is the a/b/y switch you will use to switch and mix amps. That is how they get the cool sounds at the road shows.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:42 AM

Tubes tubes tubes! If what you're asking is what do you need to make your stage use of a T5 more effective, you have a good acoustic amp; now you need a good tube amp ...one with smooth, luscious warmth and sparkle that tubes do soooo well!

Yes, get an A/B/Y box so you can divert your T5 to the "right" amp for the right tone for that song. Now the only question is which tube amp for you ...$1K is a good budget. What's your music? Personally, I have been and still am a huge Boogie user. Lots of offerings there to give you seriously great tone. Lots of great tube amps out there, and it's all about flavor that suits you, of course, but (like Taylor) it is very difficult to go wrong with a Boogie ...IMHO, of course.

Edward
Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 PM

Well I am using mine tonight at a small two guitar gig, and I will be using a Fender SCXD amp.

I only care about the humbucker sound so we shall see how it goes.

I have been practicing with the SCXD and am pleased with the sound.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It went well. We played for a nice assisted living center.

Had a couple sing alongs, a couple dancers and they seemed to have a good time.

Got compliments on the tone of the guitar and amp.

Last edited by Pvee; 04-10-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:51 PM

I run mine directly through the PA and it sounds great.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:07 PM

PastorSteve,
that is how I run mine at church. It is kind of large, seats 1400. Easy great sound and the sound system was way overpriced and not what I would have recommended, but the T5 sounds great through it, straight into the board.
I agree that the optimum is an A/B system. I have just gotten this down to a simple situation that I can adapt the T5 to any kind of gig. I can go A/B, go into a multi-effects and straight in to SoloAmp or BOSE, or run two channels into the SA or BOSE with an A/B- one channel with a clean electric tone, the second with a more acoustic tone. It just really works for me, although I know it is not for everyone.
davidc
Old 04-11-2010, 06:49 PM

I have used mine through my Fender Blues De-Ville amp as well. I don't A/B switch because ...........I'm lazy. I don't want to haul the amp, PA and everything necessary to switch between systems & I usually play one "feel" when I play so it hasn't been a necessary thing for me. When running through the amp I use a pedal board for effects but I haven't felt the need with the T5. It is a great guitar all by itself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion