The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-20-2014, 05:24 PM

Default Fret ends feel sharp : Cost to Fix or Do It Yourself

My Martin D18 that I recently purchased fret ends are sharp to the feel, maybe due to humidity I'm thinking, course, its the only guitar I have that has exhibited this feel to my left hand.

Is that a big deal as far as cost ? Can I smooth out the fret ends myself ? Or do I need special instruments and a guitar tech could take care of it much easier ? Is it an expensive procedure ?

Thanks guys !

H
Old 08-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Sharp fret ends often indicate the guitar is too dry. What's the humidity like in your neck of the woods?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:36 PM

Its dry here, 15 to 20 percent sometime, that's not my question though

H
Old 08-20-2014, 05:42 PM

I could be wrong, but I think Jeff is suggesting that if you got the humidity right (i.e., raised it), you wouldn't have to do anything to the guitar. I had the same problem with a new Taylor. Raised the humidity in the room, the "problem" went away.

You might try something like that first, before you go grinding away on the frets.

Greg Rappleye
Old 08-20-2014, 05:43 PM

You need two files for this job: a fine-tooth flat file (Photo 2) and a three-corner miniature file (Photo 3) that has been customized for fretwork.

So how much do these files cost ? Can I get them at Stew Mac or are they worth a pretty penny ?

H
Old 08-20-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rappleye View Post
I could be wrong, but I think Jeff is suggesting that if you got the humidity right (i.e., raised it), you wouldn't have to do anything to the guitar. I had the same problem with a new Taylor. Raised the humidity in the room, the "problem" went away.

You might try something like that first, before you go grinding away on the frets.

Greg Rappleye
Maybe raising the humidity may help, but I'm of the opinion that, like a grape that has been dried into a raisin, there is no way humidifying the guitar will make these sharp edges go away. Filing the frets is my preferred method for many reasons, I'm trying to figure out which is more cost effective, buy the files myself or get a guitar tech do that the job,

H
Old 08-20-2014, 05:46 PM

Cool Fret ends feeling sharp...tech or DIY?

You are correct that it is a sign that the humidity is too low, but that is more likely to happen during the winter months. While filing the ends is fairly easy (assuming you have tools), if the guitar is new, it would be good to have the entire guitar checked by a qualified tech. It might need to be humidified, or there could be something else going on with the frets, as well. You might start by putting it in the case with a case humidifier for a week or so, to make sure you have the neck (and body) properly humidified. If that doesn't correct the issue, it would be advisable to have it checked by a tech.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 08-20-2014, 05:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
My Martin D18 that I recently purchased fret ends are sharp to the feel, maybe due to humidity I'm thinking, course, its the only guitar I have that has exhibited this feel to my left hand.

Is that a big deal as far as cost ? Can I smooth out the fret ends myself ? Or do I need special instruments and a guitar tech could take care of it much easier ? Is it an expensive procedure ?

Thanks guys !

H
It's due to extreme LACK of humidity.

The next problem won't be an easy fix: Cracked top.

Get the guitar rehumidified to at least 35% before you to anything. The width of the fingerboard will increase to a small extent, of course, but fret ends sticking out will have to be addressed with a file at some point.

They are easily done by the handy homeowner. It would probably be best to see if Frank Ford has some pictorial on doing fret ends before getting yourself in more trouble.

Your apparent lack of concern about the humidity level makes me wonder why you're even concerned about the fret ends, though. I guess a little bit of blood on the rosewood won't do any harm?

HE
Old 08-20-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Maybe raising the humidity may help, but I'm of the opinion that, like a grape that has been dried into a raisin, there is no way humidifying the guitar will make these sharp edges go away.
And you'd be wrong.

Humidify the guitar for a few days, and see if it improves. It should.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
You are correct that it is a sign that the humidity is too low, but that is more likely to happen during the winter months. While filing the ends is fairly easy (assuming you have tools), if the guitar is new, it would be good to have the entire guitar checked by a qualified tech. It might need to be humidified, or there could be something else going on with the frets, as well. You might start by putting it in the case with a case humidifier for a week or so, to make sure you have the neck (and body) are humidified. If that doesn't correct the issue, it would be advisable to have it checked by a tech.

Glen
I appreciate all the ' humidify ' advice I am getting here, I just don't think, barring taking the guitar with me in the shower, that the sharp fret ends will resolve by humidifying. All my guitars ' live ' in the same dry conditions this D18 does, and none of my other guitars exhibit sharp frets.

It would be appreciated you would read and answer my question, my question has nothing to do as it relates to humidity

H
Old 08-20-2014, 05:51 PM

Well, have at it, then.

And good luck.

Greg R.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rappleye View Post
Well, have at it, then.

And good luck.

Greg R.
Thank you very much for answering my question

H
Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachi View Post
And you'd be wrong.

Humidify the guitar for a few days, and see if it improves. It should.
THIS!!!

Don't screw with your guitar until you get it stabilized!

Filing on those now is about the same as taking a fret file to lower mid-neck frets when what really needs to happen is a relief adjustment to correct back bow.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:57 PM

Fret End Dreassing File for $13.44 at Stew Mac

H

Thanks anyways guys, I guess I shouldn't have expected actual advice and just a lecture
Old 08-20-2014, 05:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I appreciate all the ' humidify ' advice I am getting here, I just don't think, barring taking the guitar with me in the shower, that the sharp fret ends will resolve by humidifying. All my guitars ' live ' in the same dry conditions this D18 does, and none of my other guitars exhibit sharp frets.

It would be appreciated you would read and answer my question, my question has nothing as it relates to humidity

H
I did read your question, and the answer has, partly, to do with humidity/lack of humidity.

If you feel like doing nothing with that end of things, then file away until you like the way it feels.

The fact that the rest of your guitars never had this particular issue is meaningless as it relates to this guitar, which you recently got. If the fingerboard was able to shrink enough across its width (to expose the ends), then that means it came from a situation where the moisture content in the wood was at a level where it needed to reach equilibrium by leaving the wood.

The top, in all likelihood, is feeling the same thing, but don't let that bother you.

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion