The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-22-2018, 09:24 PM

Default Bad Humming Sound - home wiring problem?

Hey guys,

Today was a crazy day. I went to GC to pick up my amp (Egnater Tweaker!) this afternoon. Was soooo excited. Went home, and started hearing this odd humming sound. Really wasn’t sounding great. My friend (who works at GC) came over to check it out. He couldn’t figure out what it was, but he speculated that it might have to do with the wiring of my really old apartment. Went to GC to pick up a power conditioner (I think is the name) power strip (Furman). Went back home, and it didn’t fix the problem.. Then we drove to my rehearsal space with my new strat and amp. Plugged in, and it was totally fine. Sounded so amazing! So now I know that it’s not the amp or the strat. It must be something to do with my apartment. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:50 PM

Fairly common with tube amps, in structures built before modern wiring codes - FYI that's why [1] humbucking pickups were developed, and [2] many older mid-/high-power amps (pre-1990) had polarity switches. Nothing to really worry about IME, and if it gets too annoying/uncontrollable (try turning the amp at different angles to your body to minimize the hum) find a three-to-two prong adapter with two equal-size blades and try reversing position in the wall socket until the hum is minimized...
Old 03-22-2018, 10:13 PM

You really haven't ruled out inductive coupling of hum directly into your guitar pickups.

If you see a a “null” in the hum as you rotate your GUITAR (aligning it in the fields within your house), then it is probably coming in through your pickups.

Alternately, short the amp input and see if the hum goes away.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Fairly common with tube amps, in structures built before modern wiring codes - FYI that's why [1] humbucking pickups were developed, and [2] many older mid-/high-power amps (pre-1990) had polarity switches. Nothing to really worry about IME, and if it gets too annoying/uncontrollable (try turning the amp at different angles to your body to minimize the hum) find a three-to-two prong adapter with two equal-size blades and try reversing position in the wall socket until the hum is minimized...
No. No, no, no, no. Do NOT do this. That works on older amps because one leg of the wiring in the amp is referenced to ground through a death cap. Modern amps don't do this, and if an issue develops where the amp chassis becomes electrically live, it can cause serious injury or death because you have now defeated the safety ground - YOU are now the ground. You also defeat the amp maker's efforts to have the fuse first in the power wiring, which is also important for the safety of you and your amp.

Buy an outlet tester, they're $10 or less at Home Depot. Make sure you have a properly wired outlet, and if you don't, tell your landlord. Every guitarist should have one of these in their gig bag, IMO.

Again, don't risk your safety just to have a quiet amp.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 03-23-2018, 05:47 AM

Yes it's a really bad idea to disconnect the earth connection from a valve amp.
It could save you or someone else's life.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 03-23-2018, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the help and feedback guys. So the outlet tester should work?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barracuda View Post
Thanks for the help and feedback guys. So the outlet tester should work?
An outlet tester will tell you if the wiring in your apartment is correct, i.e. Hot, Neutral, and Ground are all correctly wired (and the Ground is actually connected to something, which isn't always true in older houses). This can show you one possible source of hum, and it's a fairly cheap piece to purchase.

There could be something else causing interference in the power side of thing, like a large appliance (refrigerator, heating or AC unit, etc). There could also be some source of RFI which is inducing hum through the signal input (guitar, cable[s], pedals, etc).

At least the amp sounds clean in another location, so you can be pretty certain there's nothing internally wrong with the amp itself.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
There could be something else causing interference in the power side of thing, like a large appliance (refrigerator, heating or AC unit, etc). There could also be some source of RFI which is inducing hum through the signal input (guitar, cable[s], pedals, etc).
and sometimes cellular devices cause noise with some tube amps...
Good luck!
Old 03-23-2018, 11:16 AM

Default lighting

Sometimes the old florescent lights will do this. CFL and LED can also cause this. try turning off lights and see if that helps.

If the problem goes away then turn on lights one at a time until it comes back.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:27 AM

Old dimmer switches can also cause the problem.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-23-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
No. No, no, no, no. Do NOT do this. That works on older amps because one leg of the wiring in the amp is referenced to ground through a death cap. Modern amps don't do this, and if an issue develops where the amp chassis becomes electrically live, it can cause serious injury or death because you have now defeated the safety ground - YOU are now the ground. You also defeat the amp maker's efforts to have the fuse first in the power wiring, which is also important for the safety of you and your amp.

Buy an outlet tester, they're $10 or less at Home Depot. Make sure you have a properly wired outlet, and if you don't, tell your landlord. Every guitarist should have one of these in their gig bag, IMO.

Again, don't risk your safety just to have a quiet amp.
big plus to clintj on this!

you may have to get some copper tape and tape the routed area underneath the pickguard. make sure the tape is then to ground. additionally there is a way to apply that same tape to the pickups themselves. but, follow clintj's recommendation first.
play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-23-2018, 02:23 PM

GC carries this thing called HumX which plugs between your outlet and amp. Works well enough to keep in your gig bag just in case...
Old 03-24-2018, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey guys,

Today was a crazy day. I went to GC to pick up my amp (Egnater Tweaker!) this afternoon. Was soooo excited. Went home, and started hearing this odd humming sound. Really wasn’t sounding great. My friend (who works at GC) came over to check it out. He couldn’t figure out what it was, but he speculated that it might have to do with the wiring of my really old apartment. Went to GC to pick up a power conditioner (I think is the name) power strip (Furman). Went back home, and it didn’t fix the problem.. Then we drove to my rehearsal space with my new strat and amp. Plugged in, and it was totally fine. Sounded so amazing! So now I know that it’s not the amp or the strat. It must be something to do with my apartment. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks!
Not specifically that issue but having been involved in remodeling some old buildings as a carpenter and project forman ,here are some general thoughts on things to consider

"Really old" is relative, first are your outlets 2 prong or 3 prong (really old is actually only two and there is no 3rd 1/2 round hole )
If they are 3 (which I suspect since you did not mention them) unfortunately there are two possibilities if in fact the building is old enough to have actually been a two wire system.
#1 is that the old system was actually replaced with a 3 wire system
# 2 the owner simply replaced the 2 wire outlets with 3 wire outlets and the ground is not really connected

I am not an electrician so there may be a way to use a meter to determine this But another way to determine is to pull the face plate and inspect the box and socket ( note you should turn the power off to that circuit first )

Besides what others have said another troubleshooting method is plug in the guitar and amp and go the the breaker /fuse panel and determine what circuit they are on, then start systematically turning of the other circuits to see it the hum goes away. If it does then the problem is likely some connection on the problem circuit.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-24-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Yes... I had this issue. It's called "dirty electricity". I've tried the Furman, multiple filters, DI boxes.. tried it all. It was throughout the building. And like you I'd take my gear somewhere else and it was clear as a bell. The amount of noise was unbearable at certain times and more liveable at other times. It has improved greatly (not sure what they did besides change the electric meters); sometimes gone sometimes not. I feel your pain.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars