The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-02-2018, 10:26 AM

Default My New Strat build

I got the idea before the holidays that I wanted to build a Strat. Then I thought it would be really nice to have a few different family members contribute to the build, buying little bits here and there as Christmas presents. So they did...then I got to putting it together.

And this is what I came up with:

The Body is a Mexican 50's Strat in Daphne Blue
Neck is a Warmoth Roasted Maple, with a 24 3/4" scale
Brushed Nickel Fender locking tuners
Pickups are Fender American Vintage 65's (with a mini toggle that engages the neck anywhere).

It still needs to be set up...and I'm still going to replace the input jack and block the trem, but I'm really pleased with how it's come together so far. And It's really cool to think each part represents a different person in my life.

Last edited by bigD77; 01-06-2018 at 10:20 AM. Reason: edit picture
Old 01-02-2018, 10:37 AM

It looks good!
Old 01-02-2018, 10:45 AM

That does look nice! However, I think you're using too light a string gauge to get the most sound out of it

I have one Strat type with a blocked trem. Used a piece of 120 year old floorboard that was sawed out of my house's floor when A/C was put in a few years back. Other than the personal value of the source wood, I do think it sounds subtly different than a regular floating trem setup.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-02-2018, 11:04 AM

Nice retro look!
Old 01-02-2018, 12:10 PM

Sweet!

Does the Warmoth neck take into consideration that the previous neck was 25.5"? I think it's call a "converter" or something like that? You need that if you don't want to move the bridge location to account for the new scale length.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:50 PM

Very cool. Love the roasted maple.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet!

Does the Warmoth neck take into consideration that the previous neck was 25.5"? I think it's call a "converter" or something like that? You need that if you don't want to move the bridge location to account for the new scale length.
Yes, sweet short scale Strat. I was wondering the same thing.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I can't see it. It tells me I need to update 3rd party hosting yada yada...

It sounds dreamy with the color scheme and short scale neck. I like the choice of tuners and pups as well.

I want to build a new guitar. I have a Chinese knock off (Corbin) Les Paul that I'm going to upgrade this year. Building your own axe from a good basic platform is a lot of fun, not to mention rewarding.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I can't see it. It tells me I need to update 3rd party hosting yada yada...

It sounds dreamy with the color scheme and short scale neck. I like the choice of tuners and pups as well.

I want to build a new guitar. I have a Chinese knock off (Corbin) Les Paul that I'm going to upgrade this year. Building your own axe from a good basic platform is a lot of fun, not to mention rewarding.
Ya the original OP photo fell prey to the creeping PhotoBucket black hole

Imgur is you friend ....

That said, I got a look at the photo before it died and it looked like a fun project .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-03-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ya the original OP photo fell prey to the creeping PhotoBucket black hole

Imgur is you friend ....

That said, I got a look at the photo before it died and it looked like a fun project .
Imgur doesn't work for me either. Been there and done that. I had to download the AGF app to host pics. Not a problem, but it is the only way I have found that works.

I really don't want to sound too critical, but it seems a site of this size, popularity, and age would be more user friendly for posting pics and videos. JMO, and otherwise I do enjoy it here.

Sorry for the off topic, OP. I only wanted to see your fiddle!
Old 01-03-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Imgur doesn't work for me either. Been there and done that. I had to download the AGF app to host pics. Not a problem, but it is the only way I have found that works.

I really don't want to sound too critical, but it seems a site of this size, popularity, and age would be more user friendly for posting pics and videos. JMO, and otherwise I do enjoy it here.

Sorry for the off topic, OP. I only wanted to see your fiddle!
imgur is very easy to work with posting pics compared to the aforementioned site.

i would agree about the site including posting of pics and videos but servers do cost money, so are you willing to pay for the servers?

back on topic--hope the OP can reset the photo as i'd like to see it.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
To clarify, PhotoBucket worked fine (if you were doing it correctly) that was not the problem. The problem was they changed policy to no longer hosting to 3rd party websites with their free subscription.

Imgur does host to 3 party web sites like AGF with their free subscription, it also works fine but again you have to be using a correct method to do so .
The method used for image below: Click desired photo thumbnail on your main "images" page , when the individual image window opens click the Blue 'Copy" button on the "BBCode ( message boards and forums)" option . then simply hit the paste command in the AGF reply box.

For example hosted directly from Imgur....

My bluegrass band and our new instruments, we are wondering if the folks at the Telluride Festival will notice they are not the usual D28 and Gibson Banjo

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-04-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
To clarify, PhotoBucket worked fine (if you were doing it correctly) that was not the problem. The problem was they changed policy to no longer hosting to 3rd party websites with their free subscription.

Imgur does host to 3 party web sites like AGF with their free subscription, it also works fine but again you have to be using a correct method to do so .
The method used for image below: Click desired photo thumbnail on your main "images" page , when the individual image window opens click the Blue 'Copy" button on the "BBCode ( message boards and forums)" option . then simply hit the paste command in the AGF reply box.

For example hosted directly from Imgur....

My bluegrass band and our new instruments, we are wondering if the folks at the Telluride Festival will notice they are not the usual D28 and Gibson Banjo
LOL...

I must be utilizing Imgur incorrectly. Its OK, the app works fine on my Android.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:16 PM

Default Updated pic

I forgot about the Photobucket curse...my fault, I know better. I'll post a new pic tomorrow that should stick. And I've set it up and strung it with 10's. Still a few minor tweaks here and there, including the new jack this weekend, but I love it so far.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:19 AM

Default new picture

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars