The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-29-2016, 05:43 PM

Default The Revenant

My wife and I just finished watching that movie.
We both really liked it, quite intense at times.
Spoiler question below..

Do you think that Hugh Glass died in the end, after his revenge?
The movie faded to black and kind-of left you wondering.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:04 PM

I thought it was OK. I have read several accounts of the Glass ordeal and the movies wasn't very close to the real story, nor was "Man in the Wilderness" the other version of the story.

DiCaprio was major miscasting as far as the real Glass went, Tom Hardy would have been closer.

I did think the bear attack was very well done.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:17 AM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

My wife and I watched it ob PPV and she ended picking up her iPad. I thought it was pretty good but never thought of Dicaprio as a bad azz. Wasn't as good as it was hyped to me.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:25 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I thought it was OK. I have read several accounts of the Glass ordeal and the movies wasn't very close to the real story, nor was "Man in the Wilderness" the other version of the story.

DiCaprio was major miscasting as far as the real Glass went, Tom Hardy would have been closer.

I did think the bear attack was very well done.
I watched it a couple of days ago on a flight...not the best way to view/listen to a film. It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. Kinda meh. I agree that the bear attack was very well done. I don't think DiCaprio in that role was worthy of an Oscar. To be fair, I may watch it again in a proper viewing environment.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Do you think that Hugh Glass died in the end, after his revenge?
The movie faded to black and kind-of left you wondering.
Historically, Glass confronted both Bridger and Fitzgerald but killed neither. He did retrieve his Hawken rifle from Fitzgerald, giving an idea of just how valued those particular rifles were to early trappers. Fitzgerald had joined the army and Glass apparently warned him not to leave or he would seek him out.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

It was entertaining, but nothing to write home about, IMO.

The bear should get an oscar.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:04 PM

Guess I'm the weird one... I thought it was excellent and love the way it was shot, really shows off the beauty of the mountains and the west.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:57 PM

I enjoyed it too, the cinematography & production were epic though the underlying tension through the early stages kind of gave way to something a bit more tedious. The ending seemed a bit flat to me.

I assume Hugh Glass (DiCaprio) passed away as it faded to black but it wasn't conclusive enough to totally discount a sequel . He was good in a mostly non verbal role but I think Tom Hardy played the best part (other than mama bear of course).
Old 05-01-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMule View Post
Guess I'm the weird one... I thought it was excellent and love the way it was shot, really shows off the beauty of the mountains and the west.
You are in good company. According to Rotten Tomatoes, 82% critics rated it highly and 85% of the audience liked it.
"Critics Consensus: As starkly beautiful as it is harshly uncompromising, The Revenant uses Leonardo DiCaprio's
committed performance as fuel for an absorbing drama that offers punishing challenges -- and rich rewards."
Old 05-01-2016, 07:06 AM

"We had a deal"...........

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 05-01-2016, 07:20 AM

I didn't dislike the movie but I do think a film or book purporting to be a historical drama, to the point of using the names of historical figures as characters, should not go so far as to misinform readers/viewers. Had they simply chosen to create fictional personas, no big deal. But the Hugh Glass story is a pretty well known part of western lore and many people probably think the film is at least parallel to real events. "Man in the Wilderness" took that approach and did not co-opt real names of historical figures.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I didn't dislike the movie but I do think a film or book purporting to be a historical drama, to the point of using the names of historical figures as characters, should not go so far as to misinform readers/viewers. Had they simply chosen to create fictional personas, no big deal. But the Hugh Glass story is a pretty well known part of western lore and many people probably think the film is at least parallel to real events. "Man in the Wilderness" took that approach and did not co-opt real names of historical figures.
I haven’t yet seen the movie but had I before this morning, I’d have watched assuming it was a fictional story. Does the film announce to the audience that it is based on a true story?

I agree with your point of misinforming the viewer with inaccuracies; that is always annoying.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I haven’t yet seen the movie but had I before this morning, I’d have watched assuming it was a fictional story. Does the film announce to the audience that it is based on a true story?

I agree with your point of misinforming the viewer with inaccuracies; that is always annoying.
I'm sure they are clear that it is a fictional account. But they go on to use the names of Glass, Fitzgerald, Bridger, etc. To me, its like making a movie about WWII, naming a character Eisenhower, and having him parachute into France on D-Day.

In reading original accounts of the story, you get the impression that Glass probably understood that if circumstances had been reversed, he would have done the same as Fitzgerald and Bridger. These guys understood that they were working and living on one of the most dangerous environments on Earth and tended more towards pragmatic thinking where survival was concerned. The only thing really known about Glass confronting Fitzgerald after the incident was he retrieved his Hawken rifle. Totally plausible that he would have put getting that rifle back above any revenge.Of course, none of this makes such a hot movie plot.

Last edited by HHP; 05-01-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I did not like the movie. As mentioned above, it was a very fictional account of the story using real people. Why take such liberties? Just to say that it was based on actual events? If this is story the filmmaker wants to present, then change the names and sell it differently.

Hugh Glass, Mountain Man: Left for Dead by Robert McClung is a pretty good read as is The Saga of Hugh Glass by John Myers Myers. Though I much prefer Lord Grizzly by Fredrick Manfred. It has actually been one of my favorite books since I read it over 30 years ago.

I can't remember where I read it over the years; as well known that Fitzgerald was certainly one of the two who left Glass, some historians question that Jim Bridger was the other. It is known that the Fitzgerald's companion was young, but in the early accounts, Bridger was not specifically named. It was assumed to be him because he was the well-known teen on the expedition.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
I did not like the movie. As mentioned above, it was a very fictional account of the story using real people. Why take such liberties? Just to say that it was based on actual events? If this is story the filmmaker wants to present, then change the names and sell it differently.
And then would you have liked it? For what it was, an old time western fur trapper movie complete with beautiful scenery and believable non-stereotyped native americans?

I loved it and mostly like all western type movies.

I am sick to death of fake cop shoot-em up shows and grown men dressing up in costumes and playing like comic book "superheros". Like we are all still eleven years old.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic