The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-29-2016, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Default Annoying terms in sales pitches, especially guitar listings

My company has a general info mailbox for customers to directly contact the top leaders of the company - its our dedication to personally address every customer concern. The problem is that we get spammed every morning with virtually the exact same sales pitch, but from hundreds and hundreds of different companies, from countless different cities and selling every imaginable industrial product.

Its like the telemarketing email spam. Last year (we checked) we read 2 million company emails and bounced away 43 million spam emails.

These ones get through our spam filter and are so similar, I almost think there is a "clearing house" company somewhere making the connection because they always sound so similar and they always say something stupid like

"Hello dear friend! So good to know you and hope your dreams are true and glad of your attention. I have good news for you that we are making the {imbalance machine} for just what you need so will answer your question."

Those things grate on me with completely socially stupid statements while, at the same time, trying to ply me for business. I'm not your "dear friend".

I was shopping for shoes on Amazon and boggled by some of the things that were written. I'm not talking about a lack of English-language skills, I'm talking about stupid statements. I worked in global companies (Euro based for 17 years) so I'm pretty aware of international language topics in sales and marketing.

So, now I see it in guitars. Companies who really have no understanding of what words and catch-phrases are actually going to help sell their (junky) product. There was a thread recently about the phrase "trendy guitar" in some stupid listing.

The one that just annoys me now is all over (especially eBay) listings is "professional". That isn't even a sensible phrase! It's like selling a frying pan and calling it "happy" .

I hate these listings for "professional guitar" - and they're always some absolute piece of garbage.

I feel like our entire language is being appropriated, incorrectly!

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 04-29-2016, 11:31 AM

your guitar is therapy.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-29-2016, 11:49 AM

Breathe in......breathe out
Old 04-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

I wonder why ALL spam and phishing communications include spelling errors.

Is this part of the "game" to ensure that you know they are criminals?

My "beef" as you folks say is that I maintain a mailing list for my club. It only has app. 250 names on it, but I am having increasing difficulty in using it as my ISP thinks I am spamming, and there are new "rules" which is increasingly restricting the use of mailing lists. This only interferes with honest and sensible mailers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic