The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-28-2016, 07:23 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Default Eagles draft Carson Wentz!

I'm super pumped. We may have just mortgaged our future, but ya gotta risk sometime for reward. We'll see
Old 04-28-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I'm super pumped. We may have just mortgaged our future, but ya gotta risk sometime for reward. We'll see
Good luck! My Ravens just took a legitimate "franchise" LT pass blocker and I'm excited that our (South Jersey) QB might actually live long enough to throw the ball this season.

Wentz looks like the real deal.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:10 PM

"There's a high flying bird
Flying way up in the sky
And I wonder if he looks down
As he flies on by --
Well, he's flying so free and easy
In the sky
And look at me --
I'm rooted like a tree..."
-- Billy Edd Wheeler

The Eagles are still a few years away...
Old 04-29-2016, 05:56 AM

I hope Wentz works out for you. He has a better shot in Philly than he would have had in Cleveland (Browns fan here).

The Browns were in a bad spot - if they drafted Wentz with no offensive line and he became a bust through no fault of his own, the "experts" would say "Look how the Browns wasted the number 2 pick!" If Wentz turns out to be the second coming of Peyton Manning, they will say, "Look how the Browns threw away their chance at a Hall of Fame QB!"

The draft is always a fascinating thing for me. Looking forward to tonight. Browns pick first I think.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Good luck! My Ravens just took a legitimate "franchise" LT pass blocker and I'm excited that our (South Jersey) QB might actually live long enough to throw the ball this season.

Wentz looks like the real deal.
What's the word on Bert's knee? Is his rehab on schedule?

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 04-29-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
I hope Wentz works out for you. He has a better shot in Philly than he would have had in Cleveland (Browns fan here).

The Browns were in a bad spot - if they drafted Wentz with no offensive line and he became a bust through no fault of his own, the "experts" would say "Look how the Browns wasted the number 2 pick!" If Wentz turns out to be the second coming of Peyton Manning, they will say, "Look how the Browns threw away their chance at a Hall of Fame QB!"

The draft is always a fascinating thing for me. Looking forward to tonight. Browns pick first I think.
Very insightful. What should we (Browns and Iggles) do to get out of perpetual mediocrity? I know O-line is critical, but I think at the end of the day it's pointless to even try in this league unless you have a franchise level quarterback like Aaron Rodgers or several others. So, I say start with that, and move from there.

The Iggles' mistake was thinking Chip Kelly was the answer. The Browns' mistake was thinking Manziel was a grown-up. But, we all live and learn, and I'm looking forward to a fun season!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Very insightful. What should we (Browns and Iggles) do to get out of perpetual mediocrity? I know O-line is critical, but I think at the end of the day it's pointless to even try in this league unless you have a franchise level quarterback like Aaron Rodgers or several others. So, I say start with that, and move from there.

The Iggles' mistake was thinking Chip Kelly was the answer. The Browns' mistake was thinking Manziel was a grown-up. But, we all live and learn, and I'm looking forward to a fun season!
Teams don't need a "Franchise Quarterback" to get out of mediocrity. There are only so many Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady's and Peyton Mannings out there. Look at Andy Dalton. He took over for Carson Palmer. He was a 35th pick in the second round, where Palmer was a 1st rounder. The Bengals put a decent oline in front of him, gave him an elite receiver (out of the first round of the same draft) and Mike Zimmer developed a top 10 defense. The key is you have to have a QB who is comfortable in the pocket and has a quick release, give him some protection and someone to throw to. Scramblers do not last in the NFL. Then put your money in pass rushers and DB's..... Tim Couch likely could have been a franchise level QB, and the Browns destroyed him by throwing him out there with no protection. Cleveland.....the place where QB careers go to die....

Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 04-29-2016, 09:57 AM

Well, I guess it's the exception rather than the rule to draft your saviour QB in the first round and then go on to wipe up the rest of the conference. Maybe I should qualify my statement by saying the phrase "franchise QB" may mean different things to different people.

I totally agree scramblers are a waste of time in the long run. Manning and Brady have proven what is consistently successful. I also see your point that HOF QBs don't grow on trees.

That said, I'd still chance it in the draft for a "franchise QB" (whatever that means) as opposed to BPA. I guess my global point is that I tend to agree with the Howie Roseman plan as opposed to the Chip Kelly plan.

But, ask me how I feel in January.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:33 PM

Hope it works out for you. Philly deserves some breaks...

Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 04-29-2016, 04:54 PM

Hey Matthew... One thing I didn't mention - the worse the Eagles season is this year, the better it is for the Browns since they have Philly's first pick. Fact is, I always liked the Eagles. They're in the NFC and I've never been a fan of the Giants, Cowboys or Redskins. My fantasy football is for the Browns and the Eagles to have the worst records and the Browns would choose 1st and 2nd.

I think the Eagles will be much better off with Pederson as head coach. Chip was a disaster. His game doesn't translate into the NFL. Poor San Francisco! I actually felt bad when he started making those trades last year.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Chip Kelly was fine for them, until he got rid of McCoy, Avant, Jackson, and Foles, took in the horrendous Sam Bradford, and tried to team him up with DeMarco Murray. Ruined the team. Browns mistake for the last 20 years is not sticking with a QB or game plan. They run their team like some fantasy football fool.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Chip Kelly was fine for them, until he got rid of McCoy, Avant, Jackson, and Foles, took in the horrendous Sam Bradford, and tried to team him up with DeMarco Murray. Ruined the team. Browns mistake for the last 20 years is not sticking with a QB or game plan. They run their team like some fantasy football fool.
LOL. I thought the Kelly plan was cooked up by a schizophrenic. I told my father in law before the season started that either he's and evil genius or just plain stupid. I guess the record reflects how that worked out for him.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:36 AM

When I read the title, I thought it was about replacing Glenn Frey.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I totally agree scramblers are a waste of time in the long run. Manning and Brady have proven what is consistently successful.
If I had a choice between Brady and Steve Young, I'd take Brady. But I'd take Steve Young before 98% of the other QB's that have played the game at a pro level. Scramblers can have a great deal of value, and meaningful success.

Having watched Alex Smith in SF for many years (who, by the way, was chosen before Aaron Rogers), I don't get too excited about the folks that are labeled "franchise quarterbacks", especially not those that get drafted in the early first round. Alex supposedly had all the skills, was a smart guy, and prepared really well. But he needed stability in the offensive system, good coaching, and a good offensive line to succeed. And even with some success, he is now referred to (somewhat disparagingly) as a "game manager"....quite a fall from "franchise quarterback" and a #1 pick.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:54 AM

I've watched Wentz the last two years here in Fargo...tremendous competitor, great athlete, really nice kid, and I dare you to find anyone who works harder....I think you made a great choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic