The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-29-2016, 06:29 AM

In October, it was the first anniversary of my dad's death, and though my family is/was not Catholic, I decided to go to a nearby cathedral to light a candle, say a prayer, and remember my Dad on that day. I was surprised by a powerful upwelling of emotion as I started my prayer.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:00 AM

It was a little over two years ago, at my dad's memorial service at a National Cemetery. I held it together until the completely unexpected (by the family) flyover by two Marine Corps jets. When one of the pilots tipped his wing overhead, I lost it. I just did again.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:19 AM

Last fall. Driving through the California desert. My daughter called. "I'm pregnant dad.". We had a happy conversation. Hung up the phone and the tears just flowed. My wife was driving, the desert was beautiful. Life is good. Tears of joy.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Silver Creek T-160
Fender cd-140s
Guild GAD-50atb
Old 04-29-2016, 07:21 AM

Not exactly sure, but the most emotional thing in my life is when my best friend and fellow Marine died in my arms. Presenting the flag to his Mother graveside was beyond words. I have to visit his grave alone because I absolutely cannot hold in the emotions.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 04-29-2016, 07:29 AM

Not burst into tears but recent months have had a lot of moments in exhaustion and stress. Work's been difficult, a family member's had terrible complications with cancer surgery, and it's been stressful on my kids to have their mom having such a hard time. It's been just needing a sigh or way to blow off steam or somehow get some sleep.

I confess that a few of the health care staff we've experienced have left me a bit emotional via their sincere dedication and courage.

There have been moments with my three kids that have been a challenge. It can be hard on them to have their mom having these difficult times. It's kind of been opposite of burst in tears. So far I've handled it and hope it stays that way.

Best wishes to some who've said they've had some tough stuff going on.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:43 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I 'well-up' a bit on occasion, usually something touching, either good or bad in a TV show or the news, but the last time I 'burst into tears'...honestly, I can't remember, but it would've been when I was a young boy. I should say that I've had a blessed life in the sense that at 60 y/o, I still have both my parents (though my Mom is currently undergoing cancer treatment...she's doing well) and my only sibling sister, I'm still married after 35 years (and lucky to have retired relatively young), and our two sons are healthy, happy, and in great relationships. Even all my closest friends, some who I've known since 12 y/o are all still alive and well. No one I know has experienced serious injury or major health crisis (other than my Mom as mentioned earlier). I did weep somewhat when my m-i-l died in '88 (she was a very good person), but it wasn't a burst into tears thing. I'm sure that if/when a family member or friend gets seriously injured or passes-on, I'll experience a strong emotional reaction.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Last week driving home alone, leaving my wife in the hospital after surgery. The outlook is promising and things are much better today. She's home.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:17 AM

I have an old wooden English Leather box that my dad lined with velvet and stained for me many tears ago, where I keep small momentos like my youngest daughters' first lost teeth, a necklace that I meant to give an old girlfriend but never did b/c she broke up with me, rings from my younger, wilder days, one of my dads' pilot wings, etc.

I was cleaning up my closet a few days ago and came across it and seeing it reminded me that a) Dad has been gone 23 years and never met his youngest granddaughter who is, b) graduating college in a week, c) that old girlfriend passed away a month ago, d) those rings were gifts from friends who are now gone. The emotions just cascaded over me and I sat on the floor in the closet sobbing for ten minutes.

Very cathartic, of course. Time marches relentlessly on.

2010 Martin HD-28, 82 Martin D-35, 05 Huss & Dalton TDM Custom, 06 Garrison GD-30, and Yamaha FG-180 Red Label "The Pig".

Last edited by WmRob; 05-02-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

There have been a lot of tears for me lately. My best human friend of over 30 years is about at the end of an epic and heroic, 2 year battle with esophageal cancer. I also lost my best canine friend to cancer last fall.

And, admittedly, I cried a few small, manly tears whilst reading some of your posts.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Humanist

Every time I hear "Hello in There" by John Prine.

"We lost Davy in the Korean war,
still don't know what for,
don't matter anymore..."

...kills me every darned time.

These days, whenever I am driving and put on albums by my departed-friends TR Ritchie or Chuck Pyle, well, let's just say I become a bit of a basket case...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 04-29-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Every time I hear "Hello in There" by John Prine.

"We lost Davy in the Korean war,
still don't know what for,
don't matter anymore..."

...kills me every darned time.

These days, whenever I am driving and put on albums by my departed-friends TR Ritchie or Chuck Pyle, well, let's just say I become a bit of a basket case...
Me too. "Hello in there" gets me every time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo66 View Post
Not exactly sure, but the most emotional thing in my life is when my best friend and fellow Marine died in my arms. Presenting the flag to his Mother graveside was beyond words. I have to visit his grave alone because I absolutely cannot hold in the emotions.
Just now when I read this post
Old 04-29-2016, 05:32 PM

Every time I visit my mother's gravesite.
There have been many other occasions also.

Last edited by AmericanEagle; 04-29-2016 at 06:38 PM. Reason: removed personal comment
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM

When I heard the news that a friend decided to leave his wife and five children fatherless to have an affair with a woman, who in turn left her four children motherless. Absolutely gut-wrenching. I knew both families and had taught their children.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:27 PM

I get emotional at certain movies and songs, but bursting into tears and sobbing uncontrollably is a bit different from that. I honestly can't remember the last time that happened.
My mother is in the late stages of Alzheimer's and one of the things that still gets a response from her is my brother and I playing some of her favorite songs and hymns. About a year ago we were playing and singing Precious Memories for her and I started to get choked up and couldn't finish singing. My brother was able to keep it together enough to finish singing the song.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic