The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-27-2016, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
If there is a left turn signal the sensor is located one car length back from the white stop line. This is so that the left turn light won't be activated for a single vehicle. If you stop one vehicle length back you will be over the signal activator.

You don't have to believe me on this, all I ask is that you try it.
There is one intersection near our house that's like that.

My son always stops at the line, and then gets annoyed when we're the only car, and we don't get the green light. I stop about 10 feet back, and always get the light.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-27-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
There is one intersection near our house that's like that.

My son always stops at the line, and then gets annoyed when we're the only car, and we don't get the green light. I stop about 10 feet back, and always get the light.
Shhhhh! Don't let our secret out

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 04-27-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
If there is a left turn signal the sensor is located one car length back from the white stop line. This is so that the left turn light won't be activated for a single vehicle. If you stop one vehicle length back you will be over the signal activator.

You don't have to believe me on this, all I ask is that you try it.
I agree, this is your answer. I do this too and it does work, trips the green arrow,

H

If someone pulls up behind me, I always inch upwards towards the white line
Old 04-27-2016, 02:56 PM

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=423880

Old 04-27-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
That's been true with every forum I been a part of. Plus with the Internet, the fact is answers are not hard to find. It's those that are forum nuts (like us) tend to default to asking instead of researching. I remember one poster asking specifics about Rogue to the point I supplied a link to their "contact us" section. He got the point.

Again this is just from observation.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
...messing with their phone, don't know how to drive, ...
Our kids are driving age. Two have their first cars and one more is getting "ready". So, driving is a very frequent topic of thought and discussion around us.

In parallel with that, we live in a part of town with a major (30,000 students) research university and, essentially we live in a "beautiful college town" neighborhood. The problem is that a very significant number of this population are in the USA for the first time AND driving a car for the first time AND possibly not intimately familiar with the signage protocols and such.

It can be a very, very frustrating experience to get a gallon of milk from the corner store.

Intersections are one of the areas that seem to absolutely BOGGLE people. And I don't understand that because these are people who are major research students with an incredible ability to grasp exceedingly complex concepts and knowledge, but can't figure out how to turn left.

Traffic is a mess.

Be glad you don't live where we do.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-27-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Our kids are driving age. Two have their first cars and one more is getting "ready". So, driving is a very frequent topic of thought and discussion around us.

In parallel with that, we live in a part of town with a major (30,000 students) research university and, essentially we live in a "beautiful college town" neighborhood. The problem is that a very significant number of this population are in the USA for the first time AND driving a car for the first time AND possibly not intimately familiar with the signage protocols and such.

It can be a very, very frustrating experience to get a gallon of milk from the corner store.

Intersections are one of the areas that seem to absolutely BOGGLE people. And I don't understand that because these are people who are major research students with an incredible ability to grasp exceedingly complex concepts and knowledge, but can't figure out how to turn left.

Traffic is a mess.

Be glad you don't live where we do.
I have to drive around Yale at times. If you think you have it bad, think again. Also, I stopped driving in NYC for a reason.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:07 PM

Default People who stop WAY behind the white line at traffic lights

----------

Last edited by GraceMusik; 05-28-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:19 PM

I'm guessing some green arrows are hard wired, others are not. When you have left green arrows in both directions, it's probably hard wired. If only one direction has a green left arrow, then it probably is based on a trigger, or at least that's my guess.

Any traffic engineer worth their weight in Gibson guitars would probably be able to tell you

H
Old 04-27-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
That's been true with every forum I been a part of. Plus with the Internet, the fact is answers are not hard to find. It's those that are forum nuts (like us) tend to default to asking instead of researching. I remember one poster asking specifics about Rogue to the point I supplied a link to their "contact us" section. He got the point.

Again this is just from observation.
People ask questions here that I have not thought of and I enjoy the answers (all of them) Google may have all the answers but I don't know all of the questions

Old 04-27-2016, 03:33 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:37 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
I have, too. In fact I've been hit from behind and shoved into the intersection. But I still stop at the line like you're supposed to.
Dang....I remember your accident!(and the others, too!)
Old 04-27-2016, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

I'm in Northern CA (Marin County), and it's not uncommon to pull up to the line at a light, when traffic is low, and be the only car. Then you wait through a complete light cycle, don't get a green light, and it doesn't come until the second cycle. Stopping 10' or so back of the line solves the problem. I don't drive enough in other parts of the US to know if that is a common situation, but it happens here.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-27-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMusik View Post
On the way home from work yesterday, I was first in line waiting at a red light at one of the busiest intersections in town. After a few seconds stopped there, I realize there is no one in the left-turn lane beside me (there are two left-turn lanes and three straight lanes...I'm in the right-most left turn lane). I then look behind my shoulder and the first car in line in that lane is literally 15 feet behind the white line. This is not the first time I've seen this.

What am I missing here?
That was probably Mrs. Wadcutter. She does that all the time and it drives me nuts. She thinks she's being "safe" when she does this. Yeah, right.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMusik View Post
Apparently that's not true where I live, because I've been the only vehicle at left-turn signals and the light changes for me...

But regardless, I don't quite see the logic since two cars is still not a lot of traffic by any standard...why not put it 10 cars back? and why just turn arrows?

Also to clarify after reading some other comments, there were no tractor-trailer trucks involved yesterday.

I understand people being concerned about that, being pushed into the intersection, etc. but you don't' have to leave THAT much space to allow for these events. That said, yes, I'd rather people stop way behind the line than stop in front of it!
Ok I am up for a challenge
1. If you put it 10 cars back on a busy day only 1 or 2 cars would get to turn left per cycle and only after the light turned yellow or even red. The idea is to clear the left turn lane every cycle.
2. Why just turn arrows? I think straight arrows are assumed and don't need any advanced notice.

As to why the left turn arrows always come on for you? Beats me maybe your city and citizens are different. ( quite possibly it's us)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic