The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-27-2016, 07:31 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
RE: "Surprised at the lack of interest!"

I don't own a television or waste my time watching videos or engage in computer games. I would counter your surprised statement with one of my own that questions why people get into such stuff. Is there a deficit of an actual life to live?

Naw.........living a full life...but nothing like the GOT characters Are you a reader?
Old 04-27-2016, 07:35 PM

Default What is real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageoftrilogy View Post
I have never, ever watched this.

Is it a reality show?

(snicker).......it's definitely not real......kind of like those unreal winters on the Great Lakes.......of which I participated in my younger wild man days
Old 04-27-2016, 07:46 PM

I'm worried about my wife. When I came home one day last week, this is what I found. Methinks there's something afoot ...

Old 04-27-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I'm worried about my wife. When I came home one day last week, this is what I found. Methinks there's something afoot ...

Lucky Guy!
Old 04-27-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
(snicker).......it's definitely not real......kind of like those unreal winters on the Great Lakes.......of which I participated in my younger wild man days
Not true. Tyrion and Daenerys live next door to me.

Last edited by Sage97; 04-27-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Lucky Guy!
She's the lucky one. It's not every woman that gets to land a guy with a compulsive guitar habit!

P.S. Just fooling, of course. Yes, I'm a lucky guy!

Last edited by ewalling; 04-28-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:28 AM

Speaking of my wife, she asked me this morning which characters I liked the most from Game of Thrones. Answer - I don't like any of them except Tyrion, who is funny, intelligent and fundamentally kind. But the others? I don't like any of them. Blondie's okay, I suppose, but she's a bit of an automaton, as is John Snow. Contrast this with Merlin, in which I like Merlin himself, Arthur, Guinevere, and Gaius. When I watch an episode, it pleases me when things turn out well for them and mildly troubles me when they don't. In Game of Thrones, I don't give two hoots what happens to the characters, apart from Tyrion, as I said.

So if Game of Thrones doesn't really 'do' interesting and likeable characters, barring one, what do I like about it? I think partly it's the ingenious plot. It's usually one step ahead of me in terms of what is going to happen. Then there's the mythical/magical part that I like. Then, I suppose I have to admit, there's titillation. Without going to extremes, there's a pleasant modicum of sex and violence in Game of Thrones to keep things spicy!

Do other people feel the same? That a majority of the characters are either dull and/or unlikeable, yet you still like the series for other reasons?

Last edited by ewalling; 04-29-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I don't own a television or waste my time watching videos or engage in computer games. I would counter your surprised statement with one of my own that questions why people get into such stuff. Is there a deficit of an actual life to live?
Tell me Pitar, do you consider reading books, listening to drama on the radio, or going to the theatre, or even, perhaps the cinema, indicative of "life deficit"?

Many of us on this forum are entertainers, but we still enjoy entertainment.

Television, especially well made television dramas, can be most entertaining, although best enjoyed on channels with no advert interruptions.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Yet you 'waste time' attacking people on a forum discussing a tv show ... methinks thou doest protest too much!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-01-2016, 08:02 PM

Okay JPDiety I watched my very first GOT for 18 mins tonite and the first thing I notice is the dark, eternal omnipresent atmosphere sorta reminds me of Alien3 in tone and there is a boy who looks like that obnoxious Peter Pan Geico commercial and ahh he is wearing makeup and what seems to be a Burger King hat and his Mom has dyed red hair and so did they have hair-coloring back then whenever this is and so I'm ready to go back to the trusted NHL network after 18 mins and then there is a short man with good hair who releases the dragons from bondage and I have to say those are very good CGI representations of dragons so that was actually sorta very neat and then the poor blind girl is getting beat-up outside and maybe is saved and my heart just goes out to her so daaaamit I have to watch the next episode
Old 05-01-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Okay JPDiety I watched my very first GOT for 18 mins tonite and the first thing I notice is the dark, eternal omnipresent atmosphere sorta reminds me of Alien3 in tone and there is a boy who looks like that obnoxious Peter Pan Geico commercial and ahh he is wearing makeup and what seems to be a Burger King hat and his Mom has dyed red hair and so did they have hair-coloring back then whenever this is and so I'm ready to go back to the trusted NHL network after 18 mins and then there is a short man with good hair who releases the dragons from bondage and I have to say those are very good CGI representations of dragons so that was actually sorta very neat and then the poor blind girl is getting beat-up outside and maybe is saved and my heart just goes out to her so daaaamit I have to watch the next episode
It's a slippery slope. By the third episode you'll be sending off for the T-shirt!
Old 05-01-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
This was hard to read but my advice is to start from season 1 episode 1.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:49 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Okay JPDiety I watched my very first GOT so daaaamit I have to watch the next episode

Another convert
Old 05-01-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:

Perhaps you haven't noticed but television has been part of "actual life" for almost 70 years. Not to mention that since you don't watch tv or or videos...or engage in computer games (though you DO use a computer)...how can you criticise them? If what you say is true I wouldn't think you'd know what the current programming is like.

Geez.

BTW, I don't watch GOT, but you don't see me sitting at my computer railing at people who do.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
This was hard to read but my advice is to start from season 1 episode 1.
I will and buy a cap, too, I imagine.

Just having a bit of fun with the run-on sentence thing there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic