The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Default Prodigious? You choose!

I was reading a thread in the General forum about a new Collings model and there was a Julian Lage video imbedded. Julian, like many other young gun musicians, Chris Thile and the like, was child prodigy. If I could be a prodigy with any of my activities, would I choose music?

My students often ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I always tell them, "A mandolin player in touring bluegrass band!" Then I have to explain what exactly that is. In reality, when I was a kid, hockey was my passion. I wanted to be the next Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull, or Keith Magnuson. Then it was bike racing and rugby, and eventually, music. Though, I suppose, cycling still is my main passion.

I know I would've made significantly more money being Fabian Cancellara, Laurent Jalabert or Rob Blake, Ray Bourque, but I'd choose being able to play guitar and mandolin like Norman Blake over anything else.

What about you good people? Prodigious skills...your choice?
Old 04-28-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
I was reading a thread in the General forum about a new Collings model and there was a Julian Lage video imbedded. Julian, like many other young gun musicians, Chris Thile and the like, was child prodigy. If I could be a prodigy with any of my activities, would I choose music?

My students often ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I always tell them, "A mandolin player in touring bluegrass band!" Then I have to explain what exactly that is. In reality, when I was a kid, hockey was my passion. I wanted to be the next Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull, or Keith Magnuson. Then it was bike racing and rugby, and eventually, music. Though, I suppose, cycling still is my main passion.

I know I would've made significantly more money being Fabian Cancellara, Laurent Jalabert or Rob Blake, Ray Bourque, but I'd choose being able to play guitar and mandolin like Norman Blake over anything else.

What about you good people? Prodigious skills...your choice?
If I could be a prodigy and do anything, I would play golf on the PGA. Every week, 4 days on a different beautiful golf course with the comradery of fellow competitors.....

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 04-29-2016, 03:36 PM

We should be careful what we wish for. Fabian Cancellara has likely broken more bones, during his career, than most hockey players.

It is a fascinating idea, though: If I could have world-class talent, in any pursuit, which would I want it to be in?
Old 04-29-2016, 03:42 PM

I would love to have been a prodigy race car driver in my youth. And hopefully have survived the late '60s and '70s doing so.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Top touring tennis professional. Not gonna happen now, though.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:12 PM

I would have wanted to be a prodigy at baseball. Playing baseball as a kid is one of my favorite memories. I played through high school, was an average player and never was exceptional enough to be able to compete at the professional level.

I was a fan of the Baltimore Orioles growing up in Maryland, and Brooks Robinson was one of my heroes. He was famous for making incredible diving catches and throwing guys out from his knees. Unfortunately after Brooks retired a guy by the name of Cal Ripkin Jr took over third base for 21 years and set the record for most consecutive games played. Cal and I are about the same age so I would have had to have been a pretty exceptional prodigy to beat him out.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:28 PM

I was a very good tennis player when I was a kid, ranked very high and won more tournaments than I can count, played and won against players that were ranked among the top in world rankings. Hit with Bjorn Borg and McEnroe and Lendl. Stupid me, turned down an offer to try out for UCLA tennis team. A few years later (past my prime) I gave up the sport as my wife did not want me to play anymore
Old 04-29-2016, 10:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Guitar player...no bout a doubt it!
Old 04-30-2016, 06:41 AM

A long time ago I knew a pretty great musician. He was once the understudy to George Szell while Szell was the conductor of the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra. He applied for the job, and like all the other candidates went through the steps to prove his abilities, which included conducting the symphony in a 20 minute orchestral piece.

After all the trials he was tied with two other musicians for the job....until the selection committee asked them to read a figured bass line with melody and fill in the harmony using all voice leading rules......AS A SIGHT READ on the piano.....and in tempo.

Only my friend could do that. He could also sight read and hear in his head a full orchestral score.

THAT'S a prodigy that I could only dream of aspiring to.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 04-30-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Absolutely. Nothing else comes close.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:26 AM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
I would love to have been a prodigy race car driver in my youth. And hopefully have survived the late '60s and '70s doing so.
Back in the mid sixties I had a hobby car, '50 Ford with a 110 ci flat head V8 I ran at the old Hialeah speedway. It was then I learned that my skills at stock driving would not be "Prodigious". I did all right at the welding trade.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:33 AM

When I was young, I was a competitive sailor. Our family knew Dennis Connor and his family. I had this dream that one day he would hand over his sailing empire to me, and I'd go win a bunch of America's Cups.

Then, I wanted to be a rock god. I didn't want to be the next Andres Segovia—I wanted flying Eddie Van Halen fingers, packed stadiums, loud music.

Catch is, I was not a prodigy at any of those (or anything else, for that matter).

Nowadays, I'd be happy to be a prodigy at anything—piano, basketball, painting, bike racing, chess, animation, cooking, they're all good. Probably piano if I had to choose only one.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 04-30-2016, 09:39 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I'll add that realistically, at my age, I'll settle for being a prodigy at.....Pickleball (if any of you know that court sport)!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic