The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-19-2006, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ron View Post
I still wonder if the Fender amps are as reliable over the long haul as others .
You're joking, right? Or else someone is sticking something in your ear negatively re: Fender reliability; this sort of talk is basically equal to what comes out a male bovine's back end.

Fender amps will hold up as well as any other top name amp.

( I like me some Fender amps. Does it show? )
Old 12-19-2006, 09:53 AM

Default Are you kidding me?

[QUOTE=J-Ron;1068715]...
I still wonder if the Fender amps are as reliable over the long haul as others ...QUOTE]

Fender amps have been available since 1946!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 12-19-2006, 12:08 PM

I'll support webcat on this question. I like my Hot Rod Deluxe and added its little brother the Blues Jr., which looks small but plays big. Every owner will prefer the amp they own be it Mesa, Marshall, Line 6 on and on, but for my ears there is nothing like the Fender vibe. They are durable and road worthy. You would not be diappointed in a Fender my recommendation is the Hot Rod Deluxe. Good luck in finding the one that sounds right to you.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 12-19-2006, 12:52 PM

My '67 Fender Pro Reverb still sounds great. I'd say they're reliable

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 12-19-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ron View Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone. I should have qualified my statement about the amp still sounding great in small/medium sized venues by letting you all know that I play 3-5 times a week in our church worship center which is 100'wx100'wx30'h. I've played a twin in that setting and find it still sounding nice and full in that big room. I would like something though that is versatile enough to play in the smaller /medium venues. I'm sure I can get away with less than a twin in our worship center, but am willing to go that big if necessary. I should look into the Deluxe Reverb a bit more closely.
Our worship center seats about 1000 and has a similiar tall ceiling. I almost always use my Pro Junior there. It has plenty of stage volume for me even when standing right in front of the drummer. With a smaller amp you will have to be mic'd in that big room. That usually isn't a problem for us because there is a sound person that controls the house mix - everything is mic'd or has a DI. I have also used my Blues Junior and Deluxe Reverb in that setting with good success. I prefer the smaller amps in a worship setting because you can get some tube mojo working for you without any complaints about volume.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:31 PM

Guys...Fender makes a great amp. But the saying that Fender amps are dependable based on the fact that a 1964 amp is still kicking is nonsense. The amps Fender is making now don't resemble their predecessors in any way other than cosmetic. The guts are totally different. Great amps, but lets not get carried away based on a companies history from 45+ years ago.

Their modern amps are *very* good. But IMHO they need some mods to really get cooking. Their stock speakers a crap IMHO and their tubes are garbage...yes, thats right, the GT tubes are garbage. Swap them for some NOS Sylvanias and a set of Eminence Patriot series speakers and WHOOOOOOOO. Smokin amps!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarallanpoe View Post
Guys...Fender makes a great amp. But the saying that Fender amps are dependable based on the fact that a 1964 amp is still kicking is nonsense. The amps Fender is making now don't resemble their predecessors in any way other than cosmetic. The guts are totally different. Great amps, but lets not get carried away based on a companies history from 45+ years ago.

Their modern amps are *very* good. But IMHO they need some mods to really get cooking. Their stock speakers a crap IMHO and their tubes are garbage...yes, thats right, the GT tubes are garbage. Swap them for some NOS Sylvanias and a set of Eminence Patriot series speakers and WHOOOOOOOO. Smokin amps!!!
This is along the lines of what I've experienced. I have been using a Blues Jr. and a Twin over the past few months and both have issues after 5 years of use each. One has been used only occasionally (a few hours a month) and the tubes are microphonic and sound awful. The other has been used moderately and also has microphonic tubes and some cold soldering issues on the circuit board that cause some funny channel switching. Both amps have been well cared for. I do realize amps need retubed, but at the rate of use these two have seen, it doesn't give me certainty that buying a new Fender will give me better results. With all of that said, I do believe that Fenders have a better track record than most amp companies. I will take great care of whatever I buy, so I will probably bite the bullet and pick one up soon...
Old 12-19-2006, 09:51 PM

If you are willing to spend a tad more than $1K you can pick up a Fargen. Ben Fargen is making amps by hand that are based on the Fender circuitry of old and they are absolutely killer. I have seen the Blackbird sell on the used market for around $800 and that is an absolute steal considering what you get. Hand wired and using ridiculously expensive components, they simply cannot be touched.

http://www.fargenamps.com/ampblackbird.html

I have owned all of the big boys.. Mesa, Marshall, VHT, Bogner, Wizard, Vox, Matchless, Dr. Z, THD, Fender, Soldano, etc...

All of them are gone and I own 2 Fargen Bordeauxs. One is 6L6 Fixed Biased and the other is an EL34 cathode biased fire breather. I don't miss ANY of the above amps one bit.

Here is my current rig. I use this in my electric band exclusively and we cover a ton of ground with it. From 60s classic rock to funk to new metal, you name it.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:34 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarallanpoe View Post
Props to Fargen for making a 20w with a 12". Too many builders these days think low wattage means you want a little speaker.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:59 PM

edgar,

That is one nice fargen rig.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:03 AM

My (tweed) Pro Junior was made in '94 and still serves me well every week. However, I baby it when I transport it and I never leave it anywhere (for others to play on) and I always let it warm up before playing and cool down before transporting. It may serve me for many more years, but if it stopped working tomorrow I probably wouldn't run out and buy a new one.

But on the other hand, for the cost of what you can get a used Blues/Pro Junior/DRRI for these days, Buying one every 5-10 years is not that unreasonable versus a 1K + amp. In my opinion, the design of many of the newer Fender amps is not to provide a heirloom quality product, but rather a decent sounding product that the masses can afford. I can have a Pro Junior, a Blues Junior, and a DRRI for less than one (typical) handwired amp. I can cover lots of ground with these amps and always have a spare.

I was pretty fed up with the search for the ultimate tone a few years ago. What I figured out was that I was spending too much time looking for a piece of equipment that would make me sound good and not enough time with disciplined practice. So I stopped playing through amps completely until I get to the gig/rehearsal. I make sure that I can execute what I need to play on an acoustic and/or and unplugged electric and make it sound good. There is no more adjusting the amp or pedal, no more time spent saying "Boy I just can't get the right sound", no more equipment blame for not sounding good. It's all up to my fingers. Then when I get to the gig it is really easy to work with whatever equipment I have.

Last edited by stargazer; 12-20-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I was pretty fed up with the search for the ultimate tone a few years ago. What I figured out was that I was spending too much time looking for a piece of equipment that would make me sound good and not enough time with disciplined practice. So I stopped playing through amps completely until I get to the gig/rehearsal. I make sure that I can execute what I need to play on an acoustic and/or and unplugged electric and make it sound good. There is no more adjusting the amp or pedal, no more time spent saying "Boy I just can't get the right sound", no more equipment blame for not sounding good. It's all up to my fingers. Then when I get to the gig it is really easy to work with whatever equipment I have.
You are a wise man. I did the exact same thing. I went from 25 electrics down to 2. I went from 10 different amps, down to 2. Your fingers make all the difference in the world. The right amp is icing on the cake.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:48 AM

It's been said already, but get a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Classic Fender vibe in a very portable package.

Gibson J-45, LR Baggs Anthem SL
Martin D-28, JJB Prestige 330
Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars