The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-01-2006, 09:13 AM

Default Les Paul Question

I am looking into buying a Les Paul and I wanted to ask some questions. I am probably going to get a used one but I don't really know what I am looking for. I have played acoustic for around four years but i have had very limited experience with electrics. Ebay seems like the best place to look for a used LP. My question is why do the winning bids vary so widely. With other guitars it seems like there is a ballpark figure that guitars sell for but with the LP's it just seems random. A 2003 LP might sell for less than a 1987 LP. I was wondering if maybe there were certain years that were better than others and therefore people pay more money for them. I have no idea but wife gave me the green light so I want to do my homework before I buy one. Thanks for your help.

Cody
Old 09-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Cocobologist

The best I can give is to head over to the Les Paul Forum (www.lespaulforum.org) and read up on the subject. There are a lot of variables as to what model, when era, what pickups, what neck size, on and on...

Have fun with your research and quest for your new guitar!
Old 09-01-2006, 12:39 PM

Gibson changed the way Les Pauls were built over the years. In the 70's they started making the "sandwich" bodies, and used three piece tops. Eventually, they went back to solid construction and two piece tops. I'm sure lots of people right here could tell you the exact years, and there are web sites with this information. In addition, certain years are considered highly collectible (1959, for example), and Gibson has made "reproductions" of them several times over. These, to varying degrees, sell at premium prices. Then there's the issue of "flame": Highly figured tops bring higher prices. If you are considering an older one, it does take some research. Even if you are buying one from the 90's or 2000's, you still need to know the marketing lingo:

Watch out for the "faded" models from the early 2000's. These are not premium reproductions, but merely a way to save money on finish materials and thereby lower the selling price. That's fine, as long as you know what you are getting. Also, know the difference between a "classic" and a "standard." The "classic" is actually a recent model with hotter pickups and cheaper trim, designed for marketing to younger purchasers. If you want a true Les Paul, you want a "standard" or a "custom."

I hope you find one that fits your needs. I prefer my Les Pauls to any other electric guitar. They are comfortable and fast to play, and nothing can match that powerful, open sound.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:14 PM

Good question. And, one that needs years of experience to answer.

I respectfully suggest you enlist the help of an experienced Gibson guy/gal to help you make a good decision/purchase.

There's way too much you need to know beyond what you'll get here.

My only input would be to be sure to get one that's stock. And, be sure it says "Gibson" up top.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:54 PM

Ditto on the other posts. It also doesn't help in that Gibson has a whole myriad of Les Paul lines, as Fender has a myrid or Stratocasters.

One thing, though. Since you've decided on this and seem to be ok with spending some money on an electric of this type, I wouldn't look to eBay for one until you're pretty well versed in what to look for in an LP, what you want, etc.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:41 PM

Is there any truth to the opinions that the 50's necks are better than the 60's neck which is too thin resulting in cracks at the headstock?
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

Last edited by Tahitijack; 09-03-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack
Is there any truth to the opinions that the 50's necks are better than the 60's neck which it too thin resulting in cracks at the headstock?
It's not so much of a cracking problem, but a certain feel. The chunky 50's style neck was replaced in 1960 with a thinner version. Most true Les Paul fan feel the thicker 50's style offers a better sound and feel. BTW, the "classic" series use the thin neck. All the re-issues, ie, the R59 and R57's are a pretty good buy, a lot of the price will depend on the top. Both will come with decent pickups and 50's style neck and build. 1957 reissue goldtops are a pretty good deal, look for a late 90's for better quality fretboard material. Do your homework............

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars