The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-28-2006, 04:02 PM

Default Teles

Hi!
Hope I'm not Chimin' in on this thread BUT I've seen and read some impressive info.
I'm in the middle of building a Tele and the one stop I have to make yet is....
PICKUPS!!!

I'm really in a dilema.
I like quiet pickups but also Tele biting pickups.

I've forgone TWO opportunities for Bardens( you Hardcore Tele guys will understand!) because of outrageous pricing..

Now what?

Philip
Old 05-28-2006, 08:30 PM

I have heard really good things about Fralin tele pickups. I have not heard his tele pickups in person - but his Strat style pickups are awesome. The other guitar player in the band was using a Grosh strat-style guitar for a while. It was really a sweet sounding guitar - never figured out why he sold/traded it.

Understand the Bardons have skyrocketed......
Old 05-28-2006, 08:36 PM

Bardens weren't "wallet-friendly" when they were still in production. Even then, some had, in the words of an SD Fender dealer, shrines built to their Joe Barden pickups.

Like a Strat, a Tele has virtually endless options for pickups form DiMarzio, Duncan, Lace, Bill Lawrence, and other companies. I've heard wonderful things about the Rio Grande pickups. Maybe they have a Tele line.

Ovation CSE24
Old 05-29-2006, 02:02 AM
AGF Bouncer

Buddy of mine has one of the Tele Thinlines, really neat guitar. I dig it a lot.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:47 AM

It's really hard to go wrong with any Tele, my favorite electric, but like others have said, I recommend the '52 Reissue. This the only electric guitar that I have left stock. It sounded great and played great from the start. If money is a factor, the Mexican 50's model is also a good one.

2004 Taylor 714CE
2000 Fender '52 RI Telecaster -
Old 05-29-2006, 08:54 AM

The Telecaster is one electric that I've never really played or taken the time to understand. I have to say, this discussion is creating some GAS for me.

What is it about the '52 reissue or 50's MIM that makes them a good choice? Is it that the tone of these models most accurately represent the Telecaster sound? Is it a characteristic of their design, neck shape, pickup configuration or something else?
Old 05-29-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip
Hi!
Hope I'm not Chimin' in on this thread BUT I've seen and read some impressive info.
I'm in the middle of building a Tele and the one stop I have to make yet is....
PICKUPS!!!

I'm really in a dilema.
I like quiet pickups but also Tele biting pickups.

I've forgone TWO opportunities for Bardens( you Hardcore Tele guys will understand!) because of outrageous pricing..

Now what?

Philip
Phil- Look @ the GFS tele pickups. can't beat the price, which allows you to buy/sample alot of different combos. Otherwise the Rio Grande's are also an awesome choice (for more of a hot Texas twang vibe), but over $100 for a set.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 05-29-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip
I like quiet pickups but also Tele biting pickups...
I would suggest checking out Fender's Vintage Noiseless for Teles or Seymour Duncan's Stack Tele pickups. I also hear that Bill Lawrence's and Chris Kinman's Tele pickups are also noiseless, yet has that Tele "sound".
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:52 AM

[QUOTE=Livingston
What is it about the '52 reissue or 50's MIM that makes them a good choice? Is it that the tone of these models most accurately represent the Telecaster sound? Is it a characteristic of their design, neck shape, pickup configuration or something else?[/QUOTE]

Although I have never played a real 52, I think this model is close to the orginal. It has the same neck and body style as the first, so I have been told. Really don't matter if is does or doesn't, this is the one I picked out of the whole Fender lot. I love the sound of the middle position and also the vintage radius and frets along with color. The 50's model is close and a great bang for the buck.

2004 Taylor 714CE
2000 Fender '52 RI Telecaster -
Old 05-30-2006, 09:13 AM

I have the American Ash Tele and am very happy with it. It was the honey blonde model pictured on the first page. In my opinion, it is the best of both worlds vintage and modern. It has that vintage sound (vintage spec pickups) and looks (the honey blonde is very nice with the single ply black guard). But, it has medium jumbo frets, a large fretboard radius and a six saddle bridge. The one thing you need to be aware of is the U -shaped neck. It is chunkier than the standard fender C-shape and takes some getting used to.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:11 PM

Eldelry has a used 52 reissue in stock at the moment -- I play a Zion Ninety (their version of a Tele Thinline) with Barden pups. Joe Barden has very recently started up again and is back in the pickup manufacturing business. Good news for those who admire his pickups, which are extremely high quality and generally very well regarded. My Zion is a semi-hollow like the thinline, and is really akin to a Fender custom shop guitar.
Godin LG SP90 NAMM special
Old 05-30-2006, 01:16 PM

I like my 96' Tele alot, USA standard Red burst metallic paint, pearloid pickguard, Maple fretboard.

It is the first guitar I ever owned that made me say "I'll never get rid of this guitar."

2001 710ce
1996 USA Standard Telecaster
1991 Alvarez Midnight Special
1992 Squire Strat
1966 Fender Mustang

"You must cut down the largest tree in the forest with... A HERRING!!!"
Old 06-08-2006, 01:46 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations, especially the Anderson recommendation. After starting off looking for a Tele, I ended up with an Anderson Hollow Atom http://www.indoorstorm.com/product_i...oducts_id=3175.

This thing can sound like a Tele, a Strat, a Les Paul or a Gretch depending upon the pick up switch selection and the amp. The M1 mini humbucker pickups, neck and middle, put out some really great single coil sounds, while the bigger humbucker at the bridge can be down right nasty if you want. It is an amazing guitar.

Dave Aaronson
[email protected]
Old 06-08-2006, 06:38 PM

Very good choice - great guitar - hope you really enjoy it. I've had a bunch of Andersons and currently have a Drop-top-classic and a Hollow-t-classic.

You should be very happy with the things that Anderson does so well - especially the fretwork. I really like the stainless steel frets....

Had a chance a couple months ago to visit Andersons factory - really nice people that work there. I took a tour and saw how the guitars are made. Watched them doing the final assembly on a red Atom with a bigsby that was really cool..........
Old 06-08-2006, 10:01 PM

Some G&L guitars....

[IMG]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/pics/large/ASAT-Z3-****obacco-Sunburst_full.jpg[/IMG]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars