The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-27-2006, 08:36 PM

Default Les Paul... Gibson or Epi?

Hey everyone..........

I'm thinking about buying an electric guitar with some of my tax return $$. I haven't owned an electric for about six years now. Here's my question.... How much of a difference is there between a Gibson Les Paul and and Epiphone Les Paul? I can get a Epi, amp and effets for the price of a Gibson LP. If they sound and feel even close to the same, it makes since to me to go with the bargain. Also, is there a specific model that you recommend?

BTW, this is going to be for my home enjoyment only. I play my Taylor at church and we have a great lead player. Thanks for your input. I really value the feedback from our members.

1999 Taylor 414-kce
2000 Taylor Baby
Old 02-27-2006, 08:43 PM

Big difference. The Epi is not really a les Paul.

Doc
Old 02-27-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Big difference. The Epi is not really a les Paul.

Doc
Why not????????

1999 Taylor 414-kce
2000 Taylor Baby
Old 02-27-2006, 09:16 PM

Inferior, less dense wood, inferior hardware, inferior electronics. Reasonable playability, Korean poly finish, low price. The Les Paul Standard and its (too many) iterations, are still the only Les Pauls. It's an insult to the genius himself to put his name on the clones.

Doc
Old 02-27-2006, 09:26 PM

D.T.,

PS

My reply isn't meant to rain on your planning parade. Even though you'd have $$ left over from the Epi to put into other gear, the Gibson is a instrument that will always hold it's value, and better still, it's desireability. The Epi probably wouldn't disappoint you. However, the Gibson is a great guitar, though expensive (overpriced?), and will not loose value provided that you take good care of it.

Doc
Old 02-27-2006, 09:44 PM

Thumbs up Electric Starter Pack...

Look at the Korean PRS SE line-up, then some Peavy and Crate amps.

I wouldn't have a problem starting out with that stuff at all...

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:54 PM

Gibson, custom shop.
gregc
Old 02-27-2006, 10:12 PM
The Middle Way

I had an Epi LP for a while. Sold it. Didn't like the feel, tone, anything. I played some Gibbys in the GC and really liked them. There is a difference. Do yourself a favor - get the Gibby.

Guitars: Too many, but current favorite: 2006 Santa Cruz D-12

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

Blog: soundr
Old 02-27-2006, 10:32 PM

Wow!

I'm still waiting for the Clone Heads to get all disgruntled!

Doc
Old 02-27-2006, 10:33 PM

The Epi Les Paul is one of those guitars that sucks before a setup, but is pretty good after one.

It used to be that the Epi LP pickups were very microphonic. You could yell into your guitar and the sound would come out of your amp. In recent times, Gibson has used better pickups in the Epi's, but they're still not the 490R/498T combo that comes in the Gibson version.

I've never really been a Les Paul guy (love the tone, but couldn't get used to the feel of the guitar), but I'd start like this:

Epi Les Paul
professional setup (neck and action, intonation, the whole enchilada)
then Pickup Swap (Duncan '59 in the neck and a Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge)
then upgrade to better tuning machines
then upgrade bridge hardware

After all that, I'd *still* be saving an amp-load over a new Gibson Les Paul Standard. I could probably save enough to do that with 2 more Epi Les Pauls.

Now, one can get a new Gibson LP Studio for around [even cute guitar price discussions violate Rule 2 in FAQ]. There is even a Gibson Les Paul "Faded." I've looked on MF at that one, and it's not like the Studio or the Standard - the SG Faded is closer to the SG Standard than the LP Faded is to the LP Standard.

Ovation CSE24

Last edited by cotten; 02-28-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Wow!

I'm still waiting for the Clone Heads to get all disgruntled!

Doc
Don't worry, they will.

It all comes down to what the person wants. If they want a "Les Paul" for any reason, they'll save and pony up for the Gibson version. If all they want is the sound and don't care otherwise, there are other ways to get it.

The clone LP's aren't really LP's. I'm talking about the Agile guitars, the Indiana version, the Tradition guitars, and others. Gibson's team of high-paid lawyers has done everything they can to make sure that the things that make a Les Paul a Les Paul are exclusive to the Gibson and Epiphone brands. (Agile went to a different style cut-a-way, and Indiana Guitars got around the patent by using a master volume and removing the washer from around the pickup selector. The Gibson vs. PRS lawsuit was thrown out because it was stupid. I think that's about the end of the high-paid lawyers.)

I do think highly of the Gibson brand, but I will lose respect for them if a former Gibson dealer tells me that he was a Gibson dealer until he found out Wal-Mart was selling them cheaper than his dealer cost.

Ovation CSE24
Old 02-27-2006, 10:57 PM

HIGA,

After you do all that, and then swap the tuners, bridge, and stop bar for good stuff, I admit, you're approaching the real thing...

Now what about the wood, the finish, and, yes!, the logo on the headstock?

Peace, just jousting with you guys.

My point is, don't let anyone talk you into believing the Epi can be made to rival, in performance and value, the Gibson. Smart money stays with the latter. Like it or not, us players have made and kept it that way.

Doc

ZZZzzzz......
Old 02-27-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
HIGA,

After you do all that, and then swap the tuners, bridge, and stop bar for good stuff, I admit, you're approaching the real thing...

Now what about the wood, the finish, and, yes!, the logo on the headstock?

Peace, just jousting with you guys.

My point is, don't let anyone talk you into believing the Epi can be made to rival, in performance and value, the Gibson. Smart money stays with the latter. Like it or not, us players have made and kept it that way.

Doc

ZZZzzzz......
I know, Doc. No offense was taken or meant.

If I had them, and put my new modded Epi LP against a Gibson LP Studio, I'd take the Gibson.

Ovation CSE24
Old 02-27-2006, 11:42 PM

also a main difference between the epi and the gibson is that epi's are usually made out of 2 even 3 pieces of wood. they really really cut down cost with them.

however, funny story. so a friends little brother is getting into guitar and he bought a $xxx epi LP. well i put new strings, adjusted the truss rod, wraped the strings around the tail piece, and not gonna lie, it sounded like a $xxx or better guitar, i tell you if you just take care and maintain it and who knows it might be all ya need. now it did go out of tune after about 10 seconds, but those 10 seconds were pretty decent.

Last edited by wthurman; 02-28-2006 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:40 AM

Les Paul... Gibson or Epi?
Epi Les Paul = VW with Mercedes emblem, no matter how much you improve things.
However, if your happy with a EPI, that's all that counts.
Gibson is the best thing. Not all of them, though. Overall, I have agree with Doc.

Doc, would you know if a Gibson neck fits an EPI LP body ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars