The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-31-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esau911
How about the effects pedals and stuff, now?
Effects pedals should be used judiciously. Too much and you mess up the sound.

A long chain can really destroy the tone.

If you have a chain like guitar - tuner - line booster - equalizer - tone driver - reverb - delay - flanger - compressor etc. You don't need a good guitar. Any $99 guitar plug into the front will sound the same as a $2000 les paul. It's too long giving you too much accumulated noise distortion.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:31 AM

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...andard-01.html

Looks like plenty of others are echoing the positive attributes of this guitar. Having said that, I'm as guilty of headstock bias as anyone when it comes to 6 string guitars.

If you like lp's and simply cannot afford one or can't justify the purchase price of an original, this certainly seems like a worthy substitute.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:19 PM

I like my little Tech 21 Trademark 10. It sounds nice, and is very simple to deal with. Of course, it doesn't come close to having the soul of my silverface Vibrolux, but the Fender amp is also surprisingly loud, and not everyone wants to hear the noise I'm making so the Tech 21 is very handy for late night jams.

I can't handle too much in the way of effects (I'd just get confused), but I use a Full-Drive 2, an old Rockman Stereo Echo, volume pedal...that's about it.

I also don't think there's any shame in owning a "copy" of a classic electric model. I own an Edwards E-LP 90 (from ESP), and a Van Zandt STV-R2 Strat, and these are very good guitars that surpass the old name on the headstock these days IMO. Those copies can give you a GAS attack just like anything else.

1997 914c
Ibanez AG 195
Ibanez Howard Roberts Artist 1976
Edwards E-LP 90 LTS
Van Zandt STV-R2 ('63 strat copy)
VS Strat
Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III (Ebony/Gold)
Domingo Ortega 1a Rio (Cedar/Braz.)
Aria Sinsonido

Last edited by Greg; 06-03-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Good advice all around. But if your budget is limited,...

consider this. At bedroom levels you just can't get ANY tube amp to get up into the zone. Even a 6W Champ. But, and this is an important but, the sustain we all look for comes from compression, not distortion. All the amps mentioned here will sound great. If you are trying to keep the cash flow under control, though, here is what I would do:
1) You can get real bargains for small solid state amps on eBay. Be sure to read the feedback for any seller you're considering. I have had good luck with amps and other electronics this way. Go for a mid level brand and model, (good suggestions here on the forum) not a cheapo practice amp. Try to get one with a 10" or 12" speaker. If eBay makes you nervous, your local music store may well have some used amps at good prices.
2) Then by all means do the following. Buy a new high quality speaker. A good speaker will make any production amp sound a jillion times better. Here's my favorite source. http://www.tedweber.com/ Just drop an email to Ted Weber telling him about your rig and playing goals, and he will recommend the perfect speaker model for you. I've done this for a few amps, and his suggestions have always hit the mark.
3) Get a multi-effects signal processor. Don't go with pedals because you will pay much more in the long run. A Boss reverb pedal is $140 and a Lexicon MPX 110 is $150. Pedals are expensive because of the mechanical abuse they must take. Not a problem at home. Again, eBay is good for this, but stores are good too.
4) Set yourself up with a little compression for sustain, a little chorus for sparkle, a single repeat on the delay at about 280ms for fatness, and some reverb for space.
5) All in all you could get a really great result for not much money. If you find good used gear you could spend as little as say $125 for the amp, $80 for a new speaker (very important in my book) and $100 for the processor. Around $300 can buy you a first class rig if you can find the sources. The more patient you are the better you'll do.

Good luck to you. A Les Paul type of guitar is one of the most versatile designs out there. There is no need to go crazy spending on an amp rig. A few considered choices and purchases, and you will have as good a rig as money can buy.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete28
consider this. At bedroom levels you just can't get ANY tube amp to get up into the zone. Even a 6W Champ. But, and this is an important but, the sustain we all look for comes from compression, not distortion.
Not completely true. you can overdrive this baby and still not wake the neighbors.

1/2 watt tube amp by zvex...
Old 06-10-2005, 07:26 AM

Go with a Pod (the XT Live if you can afford it, otherwise a Pod 2) and a set of headphones. I plug my Pod into my Marshall Acoustic amp and it sounds as good as my old Marshall electric amp sounded.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjato
I own 4 Les Pauls. None of them are falling apart. My suggestion is to go play a Les Paul back to back w/ what you got. No salesperson will say anything negative if there is a chance of a sale regardless of brand.

I have a 1995 Gibson Les Paul Classic, and its awesome. Build Quality is absolutely impeccable. I spoke to a guitar salesman about it comparison to the wall of Gibson Les Pauls he had behind him and the line of BS coming out of his mouth about what had hotter pickups and faster necks. He was actually putting down my guitar over some Standard models with covered humbuckers claiming they were hotter. Honestly, my 1960 has one of the hottest fattest sounding bridge pickups around. And the neck of a 1960 is the thinnest and fastest that Gibson produced on a Les Paul. Sometimes those salemen will feed you any kind of line to sell you something and times they have their head up their (you know what). Once they start insulting your intellegence. Just let them know they lost your patronage. But honestly, I agree with Ninjato. There is no way that that guitar can come close to the real thing. It's a copy. and for them to do anything near the quality and feel of the real thing for $200 is very hard to imagine. A salesman saying what you want to hear is a more likely scenario. Try it out and compare and make your own decision.
2005 - Taylor Big Baby
Old 07-01-2005, 09:17 AM

It's been a while since I started this thread, and there have been some very helpful responses. I still haven't made a final decision on anything yet, but I have checked out the Roland Microcube and the Fender G-Dec amps. Both seem to be really great amps for the respective money, but I think I like the G-Dec more...

Does anyone out there have an opinion on the G-Dec? It seems like a really cool deal...

By the way, thanks for all the helpful replies.

2003 Taylor 314CE-LTD Koa
2004 Tradition S20 (Les Paul Copy)
1999 Yamaha F-310 (my beaten up beater, but it sounds great for a laminate!)
Old 07-01-2005, 12:19 PM

I also recommend the G-Dec by Fender...excellent! I use that and the Fender 212R 100 watt amp for my Les Paul Studio. Very nice sounding. I am on planning on purchasing the PodXT though.
2003 Taylor JDCM-Jumbo Koa
2011 Taylor GS Mini
Seagull S6
Old 07-01-2005, 01:58 PM

Default as usual...

I'm late with my opinion...and it's just my opinion, nothing personal...
but anyone who tells someone that an off-shore copy of a Gibson Les Paul is better than the "real deal" is probably because that they can't afford a Gibson! With that stated, I hope you're happy with your Tradition...'cause, bottom line, that's "where it's at".
As for amplifiers, you might want to look into finding an amp with a tube pre-amp, i.e. Kustom Tube 12...it just has "that" sound. I would suggest starting off WITHOUT any effects, and learn how to "tweak" the knobs to your liking. It's cheaper than effects, AND you'll have your OWN sound!
FWIW, and IMHO, Fender's problem has been inconsistency; but I suppose that should be expected from a musical conglomorate. And I haven't heard ANYTHING bad that Roland EVER puts out...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 07-04-2005, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB
I'm late with my opinion...and it's just my opinion, nothing personal...
but anyone who tells someone that an off-shore copy of a Gibson Les Paul is better than the "real deal" is probably because that they can't afford a Gibson! <del>
does an epiphone les paul count as an off-shore copy?

/guy
Old 07-04-2005, 03:48 AM

i'd go with the Peavey Classic 30. i've had one for [nearly] 10 years now and really liked it. it is good at all volumes, from bedroom to bar room. i ran my 1963 strat through it and it growled and howled with the best of them. it also had a very nice clean tone. i use the past tense because i have just bought a mesa lonestar, and while the peavey classic is good, the lonestar ....
Old 07-05-2005, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague
IMHO, it does. Some of them can be very good, but QC is more uneven than Gibson's (again IMHO).
Old 07-05-2005, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague

/guy
Hey Guy,
Well, I might be sticking my foot in my mouth...but YES! Though Epis are officially licensed by Gibson, IMO those guitars are still considered off-shore copies.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 07-12-2005, 03:14 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casek
I also recommend the G-Dec by Fender...excellent! I use that and the Fender 212R 100 watt amp for my Les Paul Studio. Very nice sounding. I am on planning on purchasing the PodXT though.

Okay, I have another question, now that I've talked to a couple of different salesmen and actually played through a G-Dec for myself...

1: Would I be just about as well off to get a basic little digital amp with no effects, and then add an effects pedal that has some practice stuff?

2: On the G-Dec itself, I only played for a couple of minutes, so I didn't get really familiar with it. My question is, can you get a good, clean, natural sound out of it? I got all kinds of cool effects out of it, but I didn't take the time to find a natural sound. Any advice or experience in this area?

Thanks for the replies so far!

2003 Taylor 314CE-LTD Koa
2004 Tradition S20 (Les Paul Copy)
1999 Yamaha F-310 (my beaten up beater, but it sounds great for a laminate!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars