The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-11-2017, 01:58 PM

Uncle P said what I was trying to say so much better with so many fewer words. Thank you.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Well, this changes everything...

First you tell me there are guitars that are made of something besides wood, and now they moved that hole in the middle more to the upper side??

Wassup wit dat?

My first carbon fiber guitar looked like a guitar. Same general size and shape as my Taylor 522ce 12-fret. I liked it right off the bat.

It took me a while to come to appreciate that off-set sound hole. I don't find the sound over-powering, but it does bring more of the guitar sound to the player. Think of it as though playing one of those "old fashioned" guitars while facing close to a wall. Like a regular ol' guitar, only better.

Beauty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder, but I still don't care much for the look of an off-set sound hole that looks like it has been "routed" out of the flat top surface. The sound holes on the Emeralds are molded in. Just like every other sensuous curve on their guitars. It all works together to add to the sound and comfort.

If you don't "get it," it's OK... took me a while to put all this together. Apparently, old dogs can learn new tricks. Just not as fast.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Actually, I meant that that the shape open E, first finger on 15th fret of B, 2nd finger on the 16th fret of D and 3rd finger on 17 fret of A is completely possible on the X20. My hand starts hitting the heel a bit though when I go up there quickly.Sound can be overwhelming to me sometimes if I play hard. I like thicker picks (at least 1 mm) and can out play my voice if I strum hard.The X20 is not the cleanest guitar I have ever played, but it is clean enough and the chords come through whether playing softly or strumming hard.
Thank for correcting me, that clarifies it. It's still on the table then. I tend to play with .88, so not much different than your 1mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
Aloha Carbonius,

Borderline impossible? Not so fast! I can play your C shape up to D on my X20 with no problem at all. I can maybe take it one fret higher, but after that I have to unwrap my thumb and play with the fingers unsupported, like standup bass players do.

As for the offset sound hole, I love being able to hear the sound of the guitar so well. I don't find it overwhelming at all.

However, there is one situation in which it can be problematic. If I need to do a sound check without an engineer, and the overall volume level is really low, (as for a particularly intimate space), it can sometimes be hard to hear the PA over the guitar itself. But in that case, the acoustic sound of the guitar is probably going to play a significant role in what the audience hears anyway, so it has never ended up being a real problem.
———
Thank you for that. Now I must say that it is definitive! 2 witnesses is enough. I am looking at close to $300 to import an Opus, so being sure of certain things helps.

Thanks to everyone!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber