The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-01-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I agree, those molds are expensive. If anything I would expect Rainsong to offer a dread WITH a cutaway before spending the money on a OM mold without one.

And much as I would like them to make a new mold for a 12-string, I think that 12s only comprise about 5% of the total acoustic market, so...
I've been wishing for a cutaway dreadnought for years, and would definitely like to see the 12-string back. Give me both, and I just might give up my DR3100.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:16 PM

Im sure it won't happen, but would like to see a CA Cargo or Kevin Michael Touring with a slightly longer scale.

Realistically speaking would like to see another ekoa guitar from Blackbird.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:12 AM

Default Ok.

Is this a "prediction" thread or a "wish" thread. Could someone predict the carbon acoustics prices for the coming year. Up-down-stable.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I also wish RS had better customer service and the ability to custom build what a person wants. They are not flexible at all, and have no techs to work on your guitar if sent in. You buy one you need to know how to work on your own or your out of luck. Love the guitar hate the service or lack of!
I'm afraid I'm going to have to take issue with this as well. RainSong DOES do warranty service, quickly and well. But if you have general work you'd like done on your guitar, you'll need to take it to a local luthier or do the work yourself. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of work on guitars is done that way, no matter who the manufacturer is.

As for custom builds, I'm sure RainSong would love to be able to do that, but they are a small operation. The molds and materials they use are very expensive. They don't have the space or the extra manpower to offer shop services—they're all hands on deck making guitars. Coming out with a new model or new options is a significant investment for them, so they have to be sure it will be profitable.

But if you have questions or need actual warranty service, Dave at RainSong is incredibly responsive and helpful.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I'm afraid I'm going to have to take issue with this as well. RainSong DOES do warranty service, quickly and well. But if you have general work you'd like done on your guitar, you'll need to take it to a local luthier or do the work yourself. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of work on guitars is done that way, no matter who the manufacturer is.

As for custom builds, I'm sure RainSong would love to be able to do that, but they are a small operation. The molds and materials they use are very expensive. They don't have the space or the extra manpower to offer shop services—they're all hands on deck making guitars. Coming out with a new model or new options is a significant investment for them, so they have to be sure it will be profitable.

But if you have questions or need actual warranty service, Dave at RainSong is incredibly responsive and helpful.
\

I agree as far as Dave being helpful.

Last edited by JerryM; 01-04-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:53 PM

Doing set-ups on new builds at final assembly and doing customer set-ups with stated preferences are two different animals. It's not surprising that they do not want to interrupt the factory flow to do repairs and outside set-up work. That takes someone away from the assembly of new guitars, and Rainsong probably doesn't have someone just sitting around waiting for work to appear - small businesses cannot afford that.

Glad you able to resolve the issue yourself though, Jerry. Vent noted. Your experience is why I've learned to do my own set-ups. It can be hard to find someone you can trust for this subtle finesse work.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:17 PM

Default "Customer Focus"

I think that size and cost of equipment to manufacture guitars is not the issue here. The question is does the company take responsibility when they do something wrong to fix it. I never heard of Emerald guitars before I bought my x20 in July. Alstair called me from an email at 1:00 am his time to answer my questions. He set up the guitar exactly as i wanted and it wasnt a special order, just a red Artisan. The guitar was delivered on time and was flawless.
I already had a CA OX that i sent back to the factory twice before they listened long enough to verify that the buzz was due to a loose brace. That adventure would have still be happening except i threatened that my next call would be to Hartley Peavey. All of a sudden, they got it.....i was the customer and I needed help. Maybe Emerald gets it because they are shipping to the US direct to the end user and they know they have to get it right. Or maybe they understand that production rates mean nothing if the customer is not happy. Or maybe they just want to make a product that they can always be proud that it is A-1. I am sure that every manufacturer intends that every guitar they make will be good. But humans are involved and sometimes they may make a mistake. It is how they react to an issue that shows their true character of the company Lets also understand that we are probably one of the most picky consumers in the market. We are not easy to deal with and life is not perfect. My guitar playing is a prime example of that
Old 01-02-2017, 05:20 PM

I didn't realize Taylor did work like that- I think it's cool. Having said that, most manufacturers that I know of have a factory standard and it usually equals very high action- especially wood guitars. It is like salt on food, better to cook with zero to no salt and let others flavor to taste= high action set ups because saddles can be sanded down/ truss rods tweaked. I do my own set ups, and once you do a few you become comfortable with them.

Nice thing about CF is that once you find that sweet spot you will never have to touch it again
Old 01-02-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
\

I agree as far as Dave being helpful, he is, problem for me was a 2nd string buzz and I asked to send it in (at my expense both ways) and offered the hourly rate to repair, i.e.. have a tech look at it and perhaps fix the fret or problem such as a low nut slot. I was told they have no one to do any work like that and warranty does not cover.
Then who does the setups?
To be fair, you are not the original owner of your Shorty, so there is no warranty on it, and as has been pointed out, they simply do not have the manpower to take in work, unless it's related to warranty issues. FYI, a couple of my clients had setup problems after making adjustments to their guitars, and even though these were not warranty claims, in both cases Rainsong reset the action for them to factory specs at no charge. My guess is courtesy like this is only extended to the original owners.

Quote:
..Hey I was venting a little I still like the guitar. I sent work into Taylor and had it back in two weeks and perfect and only paid shipping one way. To me it's kind of like buying a car and when you take it back the next day they tell you sorry we don't fix em just sell em.......but I play the guitar every day, replaced and cut my own nut, replaced saddle and set relief.
Good now!
Taylor is an enormous company compared to Rainsong. With over 400 employees in the US alone, Taylor build as many guitars in three days, as what Rainsong builds in a year. Taylor definitely has the manpower to service their guitars, even if you are not the original owner. They don't offer custom work like Martin does, but they can bring your guitar back to new, and their fees are quite reasonable.

Look, I understand your frustration, you were willing to pay for the service, and who better to do the work than the people who built the guitar? I am not the original owner of our 1970 Mercedes 280SL, but if I wanted to spend way too much on service, I could drop it off at the Mercedes dealer.

Hopefully Rainsong will be able to offer non warranty service in the future, in fact, I think they are missing out on a lucrative opportunity.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Guest 928

About those new Journey products. I can hardily wait. Shouldn't there be some sort of contest? Like the first correct guess will receive a discount? Without telling everyone else what the correct guess is.

Not one to dally, I'm guessing now, hoping for an electric guitar. Make mine in white. with at least a 1 6/8" nut width. A nice, hot pickup. And maybe a bigly discount for the correct guess.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:19 PM

Hey guys Happy New Year!

Last edited by JerryM; 01-04-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I agree as far as Dave being helpful, he is, problem for me was a 2nd string buzz and I asked to send it in (at my expense both ways) and offered the hourly rate to repair, i.e.. have a tech look at it and perhaps fix the fret or problem such as a low nut slot. I was told they have no one to do any work like that and warranty does not cover.
That's really weird. Because I had a 1st string buzz on mine, and they told me it was covered, and they fixed it very quickly.

I didn't have to send it in because I live within driving distance, but they were ready to have it shipped because they told me it was covered before they knew that.

And to be honest, my situation was only questionably under warranty. I tend to play in an arpeggiated style with loud ringing open strings, and it was only buzzing when I picked that string the hardest. For most people, it probably would not have been very noticeable.

But they covered it... cheerfully, quickly and well.

P.S. This was roughly 11 months ago.

Last edited by NoodleFingers; 01-02-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:53 AM

Hi guys,

We saw a few people wondering if there would be any big news from Emerald Guitars for NAMM Show...We couldn't wait that long...

We are proud to introduce you to the Emerald Custom Shop Select Series, a new collection of instruments hand-selected by Alistair every month.

The Select Series will showcase the variety of custom options available to our customers from Emerald Custom Shop from veneers, scale lengths, hand-carved headstocks fan-fretting and much more.

Each collection will be announced in our new newsletter at the beginning of the month and will be available for immediate purchase and shipping, saving you the usual five-month lead time for a built-to-order Emerald Custom Shop model.

If you want to keep informed on our new monthly series and other news from Emerald Guitars, make sure to sign up to the new monthly newsletter on the link below.

One of the many options we offer is choosing a ‘Woody’ veneer from collection of select veneers sourced by Alistair from all over the world. To kick off our new series, Alistair chose a beautiful bird’s eye maple veneer with vintage amber burst and gold Gotoh tuners on five different instruments from our standard range - an X7, X20, X20-12, Amicus and a Balor Bass! For full details go to the following link http://emeraldguitars.com/custom-gui...v=d2cb7bbc0d23

We look forward to bring you lots of exciting collections as part of our Emerald Custom Shop Select Series.

Kind Regards,

Sean

Emerald Custom Shop Select Series January 2017 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber