The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-03-2017, 01:42 PM

Default Rainsong SWS1000N2 vs HWS1000N2

Another Rainsong questions here, seemed like a new thread was best.

I have seen the odd SWS1000N2 for sale on the internet and I was wondering what the difference is compared to the current HWS1000N2. So far all I know is that S stands for Studio series that is discontinued and that it has a "Fine Textured" finish. Are they basically the same guitar?? What are the differences??

Another general Rainsong question. I see that the WS body has an endpin depth of 5 inches. That's really deep! are the WS a beast to get your arm around?? Are there aspects of it that make it not feel as big as a Dread??

I know that their OM is 4.125. However that coupled with the lower bout that is only 15.25 means not much bass to me. I played an APSE (AL Petteway model) and it was very nice, but lacked some bass. Al said that he choose that body specifically for that purpose, since his wife handles the bass frequencies with her guitar he just looks to the mids and treble.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

I may not be of much help since I am not familiar with the SWS model, I do have a HWS1000N2 12 fret though, in my opinion, the bass is quite good, nice and tight with no boom and the body size is not a beast to get your arms around at all, I think it is close to a Taylor GA body, though I have not compared numbers. The body has a gloss finish on the front back and sides. That and the 12 fret neck on the Smokey are the main differences between the HWS and the Smokey. I consider the HWS one of the best guitars I have, and the others are not slouches. A joy to play and listen to. If you buy one, consider ordering with the 12 fret neck. I hope that helps some....
Old 01-03-2017, 03:04 PM

The H series was the Hybrid - a combination of carbon fiber and glass fiber, intended to reduce the price point from all-CF. I'm not 100% sure, but the S or Studio series was Rainsong's first attempt at a uni-directional top, I believe. That is now the concert or C series. (If this is wrong, please correct this information - I'm working from memory here).

I have a WS-1000 with the 5" depth. It is not too deep, and I don't play dreadnoughts any more. The narrower waist makes it "sit" better. When a friend came over to A-B the OM on demo loan versus my WS, she preferred the deeper WS because it was bassier, and sent the OM back for a trade. The difference is similar to the Martin J-40 versus the M-36, if that helps in any way. The OM would be a better more balanced recording instrument through a microphone, but perhaps a little anemic for acoustic jams.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:34 PM

The Studio model was based on the Hybrid series, but instead of full gloss, they went with a "fine textured" semi-rough finish designed to shave a few more dollars off the price. Some folks liked them, others didn't, and in the end it was dropped. Note that all Studio models feature full hybrid construction, they were not available with a unidirectional "concert series" top. Currently the only model with hybrid back and sides, and unidirectional top, is the Shorty.

BTW, if you look on the used market, you might find two other models out there with the Hybrid/Unidirectional combo, our limited LA1-LE, and LA2-LE. These were built for us by Rainsong, and were limited to 15 units each. The LA1 was a 14 fret OM and the LA2 was a 12-fret WS, sort of a larger version of the Shorty.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:21 PM

I have an HWS, and do not notice it feeling beastly big. It's a very comfy guitar. Bass does not seem lacking to me.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
The Studio model was based on the Hybrid series, but instead of full gloss, they went with a "fine textured" semi-rough finish designed to shave a few more dollars off the price. Some folks liked them, others didn't, and in the end it was dropped. Note that all Studio models feature full hybrid construction, they were not available with a unidirectional "concert series" top. Currently the only model with hybrid back and sides, and unidirectional top, is the Shorty.

BTW, if you look on the used market, you might find two other models out there with the Hybrid/Unidirectional combo, our limited LA1-LE, and LA2-LE. These were built for us by Rainsong, and were limited to 15 units each. The LA1 was a 14 fret OM and the LA2 was a 12-fret WS, sort of a larger version of the Shorty.
Hi Ted. I read your story in an older thread and it really helped. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...hlight=Emerald

It sounds like I am in a very similar situation as Anita was in regarding what I am looking for. I want warmth but clarity. Nice fingerstyle but headroom for flat-picking. There is a Rainsong dealer near me, but he only has 2 guitars. the APSE and a Dread of some type (not Concert as it had a woven top). No others within 500 miles of me! The APSE was the most shocking carbon guitar I've played. More bass and a 14 fret neck gets me there. I didn't know that the no other series has the same top & body combination as the Shorty line.

How does a CO-WS1000N2 differ in tone to a H-WS1000N2? I understand that the CO's top should be warmer, but then the back is made with the brighter "all carbon". perhaps the hybrid top, back and sides of the H series puts it on a similar playing field? In the wood world you can have a Cedar top, but if the back and sides are Maple it will still be bright.

Good to hear that many people don't find the WS to be a beastly guitar. I found a Dread to be a bit much and that just 4 7/8. I think the Dreads larger width adds to it's big feeling.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

I was lucky to have a dealer with a large selection of Rainsong guitars, so I played just about every combination. Other opinions may vary, but I found the H series to be the warmest and still have great detail . Whether it was the Smokey 12 fret or the HWS1000N2 14 fret, they had the sound I loved. The APSE was great but too pricey for my budget. The Shortys are a bit thin for my tastes since I don't sing. I noticed a slight "honk" on some of the models. Hard to describe, but I'm seen other references to the honk here on the forum. The inventory on the OM models was gone, so I didn't get to play them. Good sellers, so that may tell you something too.... good luck.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

I owned two of the studio series instruments;the dreadnought and the WS1000. I sold both due to the finish. It is rough and grainy feeling;a bit like sandpaper. I found that when recording it with a condenser microphone or using it through my acoustic amp, even a tiny bit of movement caused rough rubbing/scratching sounds to be picked up. for me, that was a deal breaker!

Now, for anybody who is curious, the finish on the new Smokey series is awesome! It feels better to the touch, and, you do not get those friction noises.

If you can spend a little more, the high gloss finish on every Rainsong I've owned/played is great! They do a great job.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber