The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-15-2016, 04:17 PM

Default Please help

I ordered a cheap bullet strat as an upcoming gift to a family member this Christmas. the guitar was delivered today by ups and left in my shed for hours before I even knew it was there. I opened the box and the guitar has condensation all over from the cold. Will this affect the pickups/ wiring/playing or will it dry out. Thanks
Old 12-15-2016, 04:28 PM

photograph it and the box right away in case you need to ship it back. sounds like it got wet. contact ups to file a claim. how did they get access to your shed? good luck.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-15-2016, 04:32 PM

Given the fact that low-end (and far too many midrange/high-end) instruments are made with kiln-dried wood - not the preferred choice if you expect long-term stability - the electronics may well be the least of your potential problems: think fingerboard shrinkage/fret sprout, neck twisting/warping, opening glue joints, finish delamination/cracking/fogging, among other possible ills. While I personally don't think there's water damage per se, the condensation you observed isn't a good sign; if you have a good tech in your area, bring it in and tell him/her exactly what you said above - you might need to exchange it while the getting's good...
Old 12-15-2016, 04:35 PM

I guess the ups guy didn't want to do his job and go up to my door so he decided to leave it in my shed. Will the condensation dry out in my heated house? If so will it be liable to cause future problems? I know it's a cheap guitar but it's a gift and I don't want to give someone damaged goods
Old 12-15-2016, 05:25 PM

Take it apart a bit and dry it with a terry towel, and hit the electronic stuff with a blow-dryer.

Four hours of condensation should not hurt it. If you want to worry about it, spray the pots and switches with De-Ox and let it air out a while in your home.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
Take it apart a bit and dry it with a terry towel, and hit the electronic stuff with a blow-dryer.

Four hours of condensation should not hurt it. If you want to worry about it, spray the pots and switches with De-Ox and let it air out a while in your home.
I tend to think this is right.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:33 PM

Update: the guitar has been in my heated home for a few hours and seems all the condensation is gone. It came with a free 2 year warranty so any future problems are musicians friend I guess.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post

Good advice. Plus I bet it did not get condensation on it until the moment you opened the box. You probably caught it right away!
Old 12-16-2016, 09:36 AM

Yup that's how condensation works assuming of course that you live in a cold climate right now. You will probably be fine. The good news is that it sounds like you have a descent humidity level inside your home. Do you run humidifiers?
Old 12-16-2016, 10:16 AM

The problem is that you opened the box too soon When you take delivery of a guitar in cold weather, you should take it inside but leave it in its box until it its temperature has equilibrated with the room to avoid condensation.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:51 PM

I think it will be fine. Fortunately you have 45 days to return it from when you received it....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars