The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-15-2016, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

I prefer having options, so I'll stick with the trem.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-15-2016, 01:41 PM

i don't know about tremelo, but i sure like tremolo on my strat. you can't get the exact effect with fingers but you can come close.
to each their own, tho.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-15-2016, 02:27 PM

I like having a hardtail Fender (a tele) and a trem in my electric stable...but my Tremoloed Fender of choice is a Jazzmaster.

I think the trem is part of the package with a Strat, and like most players, it's a part that gets used spaaaaarrringly...but it's cool that it's there.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-15-2016, 04:39 PM

I have an older MIM and don't use the trem (have not mastered it), but I have the bridge floating with the arm attached as I like sound and bouncy feel of the guitar. It's the heart of the Stratocaster.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:32 PM

I 'hard-tailed' mine by just tightening down all the springs. Just touching the trem on mine threw it out of tune slightly. Couldn't stand that and the process to actually set one up for intonation seemed (to me) impossible. I've never really never experienced a need for it in my playing world, but would have liked to have the option. But I don't miss it. If I ever feel the need to become a dive bomber, I'll buy a Squire and take off.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:28 PM

All due respect to guys like Robert Cray who like the hardtails, as someone else mentioned, that's why I also have a Telecaster.

I think you gotta have the trem on a Strat; it's such an integral part of the whole Strat mojo. It can always be blocked if you need to but can't be added if it aint there. Certain players (Jeff Beck comes to mind) use this so melodically, in ways that can't be done with only the fingers. Check the solo played by Beck on Stanley Clarke's song, 'Journey to Love' from the late 70's album of the same name (seriously...download this and check it out). Beck has been refining his trem technique along these lines ever since. Sometimes he just hits a note and then plays the trem like a trombone...sliding into the pitches he's after.

Another thing I've discovered is that the trem makes it easier to grab those notes that sustain into melodic feedback...something about that variability of those warbling frequencies, or maybe being able to sound the note just slightly off pitch until it grabs the amp and starts to sing by itself...really makes that technique come alive.

edit: Incidentally, with regard to one major complaint about these, that they make the guitar go out of tune, I've found that it is absolutely necessary to have locking tuners. Put those on, 98% of those problems are solved. On the rest, I like to use Nut-Sauce type lube in the slots (we're presuming here that those slots are cut right, yes?)and saddles. Once I get the strings settled in, it stays in tune no matter how hard I dive-bomb or jiggle or whack the bar, ala Jeff Beck.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

Last edited by maxtheaxe; 12-15-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:21 PM

The only reason I've owned Strats over the years is because I love the trem bar and use it all the time.

This guy was my major early influence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIdxrSnTUPQ

If you're wondering, Hank has the bottom Tone knob wired to the Bridge pickup. He rolls it off to "7".

Last edited by 6L6; 12-16-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
The only reason I've owned Strats over the years is because I love the term bar and use it all the time.

This guy was my major early influence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIdxrSnTUPQ

If you're wondering, Hank has the bottom Tone knob wired to the Bridge pickup. He rolls it off to "7".
Somewhat annoying how the bridge pickup doesn't have a tone knob. I plan on using a master tone knob when I order mine and move the volume knob out of the way.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
I've played Telecasters most of my life, so when I wanted a strat, I immediately went looking for a hardtail. There are not many of them. I eventually settled on an American Standard Stratocaster because my local guitar store was blowing them out since the Am. Standard has been discontinued.

Initially I planned to block the trem system, but I actually find that I use it. It wasn't something I particularly wanted or even needed, but I have found a use for it, specifically, putting a little extra feeling into a bend.

So, while it is something I could live without, it is a tool in the tool box. The only real problem is that you have to take the trem arm off when you close the case, and keeping track of the little black tension spring is a pain.
Just curious, but have you tried pointing the arm down towards the jack? Mine fits in the case without removing the arm if I do that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 12-16-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
All due respect to guys like Robert Cray who like the hardtails, as someone else mentioned, that's why I also have a Telecaster.

I think you gotta have the trem on a Strat; it's such an integral part of the whole Strat mojo. It can always be blocked if you need to but can't be added if it aint there. Certain players (Jeff Beck comes to mind) use this so melodically, in ways that can't be done with only the fingers. Check the solo played by Beck on Stanley Clarke's song, 'Journey to Love' from the late 70's album of the same name (seriously...download this and check it out). Beck has been refining his trem technique along these lines ever since. Sometimes he just hits a note and then plays the trem like a trombone...sliding into the pitches he's after.

Another thing I've discovered is that the trem makes it easier to grab those notes that sustain into melodic feedback...something about that variability of those warbling frequencies, or maybe being able to sound the note just slightly off pitch until it grabs the amp and starts to sing by itself...really makes that technique come alive.

edit: Incidentally, with regard to one major complaint about these, that they make the guitar go out of tune, I've found that it is absolutely necessary to have locking tuners. Put those on, 98% of those problems are solved. On the rest, I like to use Nut-Sauce type lube in the slots (we're presuming here that those slots are cut right, yes?)and saddles. Once I get the strings settled in, it stays in tune no matter how hard I dive-bomb or jiggle or whack the bar, ala Jeff Beck.
Michael Caswell too comes to mind.

https://youtu.be/wtx6bcr0LQE?t=51
Old 12-16-2016, 02:46 PM
Guest 2143

Smile

I rarely use the tremolo on my Stratocaster, but I like to float the bridge any way because it sounds Strattier to me with it floating. Please don't ask me to define Strattier
Old 12-16-2016, 04:06 PM

I don't really get hard tail Stratocasters. (If you don't want or need tremolo then you simply don't use it or even don't connect the arm is how I see it).

Tremolo is integral to the way my favourite Stratocaster players like Hank Marvin and James Calvin Wilsey play. (They rarely let go of that bar). But for me, a gentle toggle now and then is mostly how I apply. (I particularly like the ability to add colour to a slowly strummed chord or two rather than individual notes which you can only do using a tremolo arm).

Having said that, if the arm is not attached for whatever reason, then it's not a game changer.

Last edited by Steel and wood; 12-17-2016 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:20 PM

All my strats have a trem on them but I rarely use them. Main reason is that with a trem I still have a choice, but no trem = no choice.

A lot of the more modern rock, blues, jazz, stuff I play gets to where I need to be based on playing technique and really not so much trem.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Just curious, but have you tried pointing the arm down towards the jack? Mine fits in the case without removing the arm if I do that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Funnily enough I was always worried about that until finally, a few years ago, I found the manual that came with my Strat and reread the suggestions re term arm. If you point it towards the bottom left of the guitar (as if seen on a guitar stand and it's a guitar for right handed players) then it goes into the case no problem. Spring safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-17-2016, 07:07 AM

I have 2 dearly loved knock off strats a carvin DC 135 and 80's mia peavey predator. The carvin is it HSS hardtail the predator is more or less blocked with five Springs. So now this discussion has me thinking about removing a few of those springs and getting the trem to work well...btw it has an aftermarket steel block which ime really improved the sustain. So a brief highjack quick question how many and or what kind of springs do you use...cause the stock peavey ones are seemingly unworkable? I really don't want to get a new trem bridge...but its about the only thing that hasnot been changed. Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars