The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-07-2016, 01:13 AM

Default Wiring Question

I just bought an old Univox archtop project guitar that is in fairly decent shape. It's mostly disassembled though and I'm new to guitar wiring, so have a couple of questions. I looked online for a wiring diagram to match this configuration but haven't had any luck. (At least to my untrained eye)
It has two humbucker pickups, two volume pots and two tone pots going to a three way toggle. I thought it was fairly standard but now I'm wondering if this wiring is the original and worth trying to salvage? Also, is the bare wire that is not currently connected the ground that goes to the bridge? Any help with this is appreciated, thanks.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-07-2016, 05:22 AM

I would suggest that you are correct in surmising that the spare ground wire does go the bridge. Are you familiar with reading circuit diagrams and soldering? Learning how to do those will be advantageous in guitar mods and other projects that you find.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:10 AM

That's a very standard wiring scheme and should be easily found online. What do you think is unique about it? Hard to really see if it's any different from the pics. And yes the bridge or tail piece should have a ground wire going to it.

The way they wire the tone below is slightly different but it's really the same thing, the capacitor is wired to ground.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pro...es2-Tones.html

Old 12-07-2016, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the responses. I will look for instructions on reading schematics, soldering, I'm ok at. The tone pots not wired directly to the vol pots is what I wasn't sure about, plus there is so much thick wire and solder I couldn't really see how it was connected. But if this is just a standard setup I'll put everything together and see what happens.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:58 AM

YEah there are all kinds of ways that people wire up tone pots. I'm not really sure what way benefits what method best or why there is this way or that. Ultimately a tone circuit bleeds current through a capacitor, which filters out the highs and lets the lows pass through, to ground and it's as simple as that no matter which way it's wired. I've tried them all and frankly they are all just tone controls no matter which wiring method you choose. I'm sure some one smarter then me can explain it.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:20 PM

I like Jimmy Page wiring in a dual-humbucker guitar (requires another four switches or replace the pots with push-pulls). The results will vary depending on how two pickups interact with each other but you should find a few extra sounds you like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars