The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Steve, you and I are in the same boat having received MDs that we love and waiting for OMs. Should be another fun adventure.
I'm in the same boat as well! 000 or OM, that's the question! But leaning more towards the OM

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 08-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I'm in the same boat as well! 000 or OM, that's the question! But leaning more towards the OM
We should form a support group to help each other through these difficult times.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM

I like Juston's idea! I absolutely love Becky's, Juston's and my MDs, and I also have an OM commissioned. Jason's work is impeccable, and the sound he gets from his guitars is out of this world. Plus, he's just a great guy to work with.

Hello, my name is Billy Boy and I am a gasaholic...
Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
I am NOT an aficionado to be able to detect subtle differences between the two, but I know they were both amazing instrument. nice to meet both you and Billy Boy.
Nice to meet you too!....Yes, we are both very lucky to have these guitars. While I was a bit concerned about the size of an MD when I ordered it, it is extremely comfortable compared to a standard Dread body and the sound is like nothing I've heard in a very long time. I agree with Billy Boy that the Manzer wedge is a key part of that comfort.

Loving the guitar.... In fact, I find that the guitar is changing a bit/opening up more in just the short time that I've had it....I'm hearing more nuances in the tonal palette and even more warmth..... There is nothing quite like that rumbling, deep, punchy bass and the strong, clear mids and highs in a big bodied guitar.....it is warm, resonant and has just the right amount of overtones.....I only wish I could play better and live up to the guitar's capability!

Based on my reaction to this guitar, I am very glad that I got on Jason's build list for a 00 soon after placing my MD order. From what I hear, Jason plans on closing his build list soon as his waiting list has grown exponentially in the last year. If you are thinking about one of his guitars, it might be the time to lock in a price and a spot....
Old 08-28-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Bella,

What a lovely guitar you have had built! I have just read through your entire thread and feel really good for you! From listening to Michael Watts play his Kostal MD, I am pretty sure that this is the kind of guitar I could really enjoy. I'm sure you're enjoying yours!

How very cool for you!

- Glenn
Hi Glenn. BillyBoy told me you were at the gathering in Seattle this past week and so you probably heard what these guitars are like first hand!! They are fantastic...and easy to play given their overall size. I am definitely enjoying the guitar....As I had never been to Healdsburg before, it was an amazing experience meeting all kinds of very cool people, meeting luthiers whose guitars I have played/heard about for years, and mostly; seeing this Kostal come alive and knowing it was mine! Very COOL indeed!!!....
Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Bella,

What a lovely guitar you have had built! I have just read through your entire thread and feel really good for you! From listening to Michael Watts play his Kostal MD, I am pretty sure that this is the kind of guitar I could really enjoy. I'm sure you're enjoying yours!

How very cool for you!

- Glenn
Hi Glenn. BillyBoy told me you were at the gathering in Seattle this past week and so you probably heard what these guitars are like first hand!! They are fantastic...and easy to play given their overall size. I am definitely enjoying the guitar....As I had never been to Healdsburg before, it was an amazing experience meeting all kinds of very cool people, meeting luthiers whose guitars I have played/heard about for years, and mostly; seeing this Kostal come alive and knowing it was mine! Very COOL indeed!!!....
Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaD4 View Post
Loving the guitar.... In fact, I find that the guitar is changing a bit/opening up more in just the short time that I've had it....I'm hearing more nuances in the tonal palette and even more warmth.....

Based on my reaction to this guitar, I am very glad that I got on Jason's build list for a 00 soon after placing my MD order.
Isn't it amazing how a new guitar can change so much in just a few weeks? I swear when I received mine, it felt more open after I brought it home. And then after a few months, then a year.....keeps getting better and better!

I got on his list after I put down for my MD too. an OM is calling my name!

congrats again on the beautiful guitar!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
We should form a support group to help each other through these difficult times.
I may not need a "support group" for too much longer; just got the heads up from Jason that my OM has started. I'll start a build thread when I have some photos to upload.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-29-2013, 01:27 PM

Hi Steve....How exciting!! I've heard a couple of Jason's OM now and they are terrific....It will be a nice complement for your MD. My debate was between the OO and OM and since I have a couple of great OMs, I decided to try his OO for the next one.....I anticipate that if Jason does close and re-open his build list down the line, that his prices will also go up, similar to what other builders have had to do over the years...(situations like Jim Olson and others where people were getting guitars based on old pricing after being on a long build list and finding they could sell them for considerably more than they paid for them....That is why people with those 8 year wait lists like Kim Walker don't lock in their pricing.....
Old 08-29-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Isn't it amazing how a new guitar can change so much in just a few weeks? I swear when I received mine, it felt more open after I brought it home. And then after a few months, then a year.....keeps getting better and better!

Thanks Eric!....After I saw your set of BRW, I had wished I had gotten on Jason's list earlier....Your guitar is gorgeous......However, I really love how mine turned out. Jason did a fabulous job matching woods, creating a great rosette and making sure everything looked great, while making a wonderful 'sound machine.'

We are lucky!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:

So have you abandoned your desire for a Somogyi?

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 09-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Eric!....After I saw your set of BRW, I had wished I had gotten on Jason's list earlier....Your guitar is gorgeous......However, I really love how mine turned out. Jason did a fabulous job matching woods, creating a great rosette and making sure everything looked great, while making a wonderful 'sound machine.'

We are lucky!
Thanks! and your Mod-D is stunning as well! The best part about the guitars is how they sound! We are lucky indeed!

Old 09-21-2013, 01:20 PM

So, Bella, how are your fingertips? Kostal guitar admirers want to know.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:43 PM

Actually, the good thing about playing the guitar so much is that I no longer have fingerprints due to scarring from all those blistered finger pads! That means that the FBI can't track me down as easily when I break into your house and steal some of those new guitars you are raving about!

No, seriously, still loving the guitar....It is amazing how it has opened up and changed since I picked it up. It seems to have more of everything as time goes by....and it was pretty amazing from the get-go!

I've been noting some of the discussions about sound differences between/among the various builders out there. What matters to me is NOT what anyone else really thinks about how a guitar sounds. It matters to me if I sit with a guitar, play it, and a little "wow" button turns on while playing a song that I love... Even though my playing skills aren't all that great, THIS guitar turns that "wow" button on for me again and again when I play....To be honest, most of that is the guitar singing in it's wonderful voice,.. in spite of me!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It matters to me if I sit with a guitar, play it, and a little "wow" button turns on while playing a song that I love...
was playing mine tonight and definitely got that WOW! Hope guitar is still opening up!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop