The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 PM

look forward to that Steve
regards Geo
Old 05-18-2013, 07:36 AM

Default A New Steve Fischer 12/15 Model

Just before I returned form the US, I received the 12/15 Model which Steve Fischer had, with some reluctance I might add, agreed to sell to me. It has turned out beautifully and sounds ... just ... wonderful!

I visited his workshop earlier in the year and saw it in preparation and unstrung. He's since finished it and shipped it to me. First impressions are a wonderful rich tone and very easy to play. He says it's one of the very best he's ever created - no wonder he didn't want to let it go.

Steve Fischer 12/15 - German Spruce, Brazilian Rosewood
Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 AM

Waking this thread up - Trevor at TAMCO has had a real rush of stock arrive over the last couple of weeks including some that I really wanted to play, e.g. Simon Fay, another Claxton (mahogany), another Fischer 12/15, oh...and a Somogyi OM.

Unable to resist, I sneaked a day off work (again) and trundled down to Brighton, this time with one of my own guitars in hand so that I could A/B with something familiar. Suffice to say that in a few hours I was able to play guitars from Fay, Somogyi, Claxton (two), Circa (two), Kronbauer (several), Tippin, Brondel, Bashkin, Beneteau, Beauregard (what is it with all these "B"s?), and Fischer (two).

It's an embarrassment of riches when faced with such a selection, and the sheer quality on offer can leave me a bit confused - they are all so good! Also, my "faves" seem to change from visit to visit. However, on this occasion I was particularly struck by the Fischers, which is saying a lot given the smorgasbord I was facing.

They are very well made, play lovely, and sit right in the middle of Trevor's price range. Because of that, they seemed to me to offer the best value for money - not cheap (indeed far from it), but you definitely get a lot of what the very best can offer at (sometimes) half of the price, or so it seemed to me. I'd be happy with either of the 12/15s Trevor had. Indeed, I know some around here query the sonic contribution of body woods but these two guitars - one mahogany and one indian rosewood - really seemed to me to emphasise the conventional wisdom about these woods, with the mahogany dry, crisp, articulate and fast while the rosewood was deeper, more mellow, more rounded. I really could not decide which was the better but I'd be very, very happy with either.

I played some mind-boggling guitars but it was the Fischers that I was thinking about on the train home.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-22-2013, 09:11 AM

Steveh's post is very interesting. Another pal of mine (robbiej) was over in Brighton a couple of months or so ago and had a go on the Hog Fischer, which was the only one in the shop at the time, and reckoned that it was one of the best instruments in the entire store. Steve's opinion is a valued one; he has had some pretty spectacular instruments pass through his hands (I know, I have two of them!). I'd be interested in knowing which of his current guitar crop he took down to Brighton.

Steve Fischer is a great guitar builder and up there with the very best, At the moment his prices are very reasonable and really do represent great value. As Steve says, the guitars are beautifully built with faultless attention to detail and oozing with understated elegance. It will be interesting to see how he fares over the next few years.

I might have to take myself over to Brighton over the next month or so to check out some of Trevor's stock, which has to be the most comprehensive in the history of TAMCO.

I have a Fischer which was made for me last year. It's a Concerto made from European spruce and African Blackwood and is a very fine instrument. I had Steve make me one with a slightly wider neck carve and saddle width which suits me just fine. I note now that on his web site that he's offering the wider saddle and nut width as a "standard" option, which is to say that there is no upcharge for it. I'd be tempted by a 12/15 with a wider neck I think although I'd probably want some input on the woods used.

That said, I'm very happy with the guitars that I have - how many times have I said that before ?

Cheers,

Ian

Last edited by ianLP59; 10-22-2013 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Incompetent typing
Old 10-22-2013, 09:49 AM

Here's some photos of the rosewood 12/15.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:52 AM

Very very classy - as always. Beautiful master grade looking Adirondack top and the EIR looks very nice as well.

Cheers,

Ian
Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Its some of the nicest EIR I've seen (and heard).
Old 10-22-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianLP59 View Post
Steve's opinion is a valued one; he has had some pretty spectacular instruments pass through his hands (I know, I have two of them!).
And therein lies the story of the one guitar I really wish I never sold. Stupid me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianLP59 View Post
I'd be interested in knowing which of his current guitar crop he took down to Brighton.
Took the Traugott R - Trevor wanted to play it since he has one on order from Jeff - in "The Tree" mahogany no less.

However, those of you who know will be aware that Brighton train station is on a hill. TAMCO is on another hill. By the time I'd carried the guitar and it's (VERY) heavy Calton there and back, my arms were no longer in their sockets.

Cheers,
Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop