The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-18-2010, 05:27 PM

Default What kind of wood binding on ovangkol guitar?

I just got a Martin kit that's ovangkol with a Three piece back, rosewood in the middle. I am trying to figure out what kind of wood binding would look best. I want snakewood but it's hard to find. Thought of koa or cocobolo but would like some opinions. Thanks

chris
Old 07-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

snakewood is pricey and tough to bend. I'm doing a Sycamore with a black line then Sycamore binding.
Maybe play off of the Rosewood or Ovagkol? Walnut would be a near miss in color that could play off the look. If you are "Bent" on Snakewood I saw some yesterday at a Luthier gathering. I could likely find the guy, PM me if you'd like. The price was higher than the Maple binding I bought.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:47 AM

Funny I was just going to suggest figured Maple.

It's the Music That Really Matters!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:40 AM

What kind of rosewood? That could change everything, as tones of rosewood shift from deep red to more of a brown shade. Given the ovangkol, I would suggest curly sapele, perhaps; it offers some of the contrasting 'light' shade (my sense is pure maple or even spalted maple might be too bright) plus the deeper brown tones that would complement the ovangkol. Hard to know, though, without actually seeing the wood tones. And as always, just another opinion to throw into the mix. But you asked...
Old 07-19-2010, 05:10 PM

thanks guys for all the help! im now leaning towards maple. looking at walnut as well (thanks yamahajunkie). maybe get order both and see which one i like more. i guess i won't go with snakewood if its harder to bend. thanks again!
chris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair