The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-03-2006, 02:45 AM

A Mesa Boogie amp would give you what you're looking for, but even a used one might be out of your price range.

Crate has some nice sounding tube amps for not much dough; and the new Fender SuperSonic has typical Fender clean tones and the best distortion tone yet from a Fender amp.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:28 PM

The Carvin Vintage 16 would be perfect for you. The Nomad is a little more powerful, but still relatively light weight. You can go from pristine clean to mean and gritty with either of these amps.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPPlayer
There are very few amps that will work well on both traditional electrics and acoustic/electrics.

I agree that the Blues Deluxe and Hot-rod Deluxe are great choices for what you might be looking for. Great clean tones - pickup a couple pedals and you would be set. These amps will hang in with a lot of higher priced amps.
I've got a 40W Blues Deluxe (circa 1996 or so) and it really kicks. This is a loud amp and I can get quite impressive tone out of it with an overdrive (Boss SD-1) pedal.

I read an amp roundup in a guitar mag years ago, with Marshall, Fender and a bunch of other amp reps attending. On the topic of choosing between the various manufacturers and models, one of them (and it was NOT the Fender guy) said something like, "is there anyone here who doesn't think he could take a Fender Blues Deville (similar to the Deluxe), and do a gig with it." In other words, this amp works, and works well!

I've also got a BluesJr and although it can sound a little lacking with the guitar directly into the amp, I gained a real appreciation of it when I first plugged a modeling box into the front end. Later I discovered that overdriving the front end with anything (e.g. overdrive pedal, compressor) gives it the kick it needed. And surprisingly, I recently bought an Crate Gunnison acoustic amp, only to find that the BluesJr does a much better job for that as well! I sold the Crate a few weeks later.

sunburst
Old 06-11-2006, 03:35 PM

So i ended up buying a used Fender Bassman 59 RI and played it for the first time at church today. It sounded heavenly. Since i couldn't naturally OD the amp by raising the volume (need to buy an attenuator later), i got OD using a Fulltone Fulldrive 2. Strongly suggest you try them out.

I found mine used for less than half the price of a brand new one, but if you buy it brand new, it should be just above your limit.

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)
Old 06-13-2006, 01:05 PM

check out Fender Blues Deluxe reissue........would fit your needs nicely and priced well under a grand ($625 or so).....
Godin LG SP90 NAMM special
Old 06-14-2006, 09:16 PM

Classic 30. New Classic 30 Head. Amazing.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Die, thread! Die!

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars