The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-26-2006, 10:57 AM

There are tons of great options for under a grand.

Some Gibby's & Teles:

- Gibson Les Paul Jr. (single P90, these roar)
- Gibson Les Paul Special (double cut w/2 P90's, some have faded finishes)
- Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe RI (great dual humbucker guitar)
- Fender 72 Tele Thinline RI (same buckers as above w/F-hole & mojo)
- Fender 69 Tele Thinline RI (single coil/more twangy option)
- Fender Highway 1 Tele (nice traditional Tele twang tones)

Definitely check out some Godins as others mentioned.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelbackCinema
Are electric guitars around 500 really good quality?
It depends *which* one. The Dean EVO, the Schecter, and the Samick are nicely built and hold up well. They don't skimp on features, and play very nicely. A real guitar tech once told me that all he has to do to a Schecter out of the box is tweak the truss rod slightly and tune it.

Now, the MIM Fender *could* be nice, but a *real* guitar tech needs to spend a complete afternoon just to get it ready to be played. Yes, it will make sounds right out of the box, but it needs a full set-up before it's right. I'm talking intonation set, truss-tod set (the tech will probably be the first guy to ever touch that truss rod), action adjustment, setting pickup heights, and other schedule-clearing matters. (Yes, even the revered (take your hats off and stand up for this) Made-In-America Stratocaster (you may be seated) usually needs this level of work out of the box.)

The same thing goes for Ibanez. Nice guitar after a "the works" setup, but an overpriced pile o' garbarge before a setup.

The thing is this: look for the features and playability you need and want, but don't be blinded by the headstock logo. Follow this advice, and I think you'll have what you truly want in the end.

Ovation CSE24
Old 05-26-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
The 13 pin pickup is not really a standard midi pickup. I have on one of guitars a Roland GK-2A which works fine with my VG-88, but it wouldn't work using a synthesizer, for example.
Correct. At least, not without an additional cable. The GI-20 I use actually has a USB connection and the computer sees it as a MIDI in. No standard MIDI connection needed. But to trigger the sound module on a synthesizer (or any MIDI compatable keyboard) you must connect a MIDI (5-pin) cable from the GI-20 (or GR-33, or VG-88, etc) to the keyboard. Your guitar would then play the sounds that are contained within the synthesizer/ keyboard. But Bern is correct that the 13-pin cable from the GK pickup is not a standard MIDI cable.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:15 PM

Thumbs up Bang for the buck?!

10 thumbs up for the Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker!!

I love mine, and at just around 7 or 8 bills for a new one, it's an awesome and unique American Gibson!

I also picked up a Schecter 006 Deluxe for under 5 bills and, despite it being a little on the heavy side, it plays and sounds surprisingly good for an import and has a cool and destinctive body shape.

The Schecter is for sale, if anyone is interested...message me directly.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -- Theodore Seuss Geisel

'04 Gibson Melody Maker
Ampeg J-20 Jet
Electro-Harmonix Holy Stain
Boss DS-1
Baggs Para D.I.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:11 PM

Well, nobody's mentioned it, but you cannot beat the best bargain around: Fender Squier '51.

If you read the reviews on the Fender forum or Harmony-Central, you'll understand what a buy this is.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=519636
Old 05-27-2006, 01:47 PM

What- you mean Harmony "9-2 don't exist" central? I would pretty much ignore reviews from there. And why is it called a '51, but has humbuckers and a strat shape? It's a contradiction in guitar form!
Seriously though, squier are supposed to have improved vastly in the last couple of years, but I think if you've got a grand to spend you can still pretty much ignore them, way better stuff out there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars