The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
I've always wondered why they haven't (made an 0 size).
They seem to have trouble keeping their acoustics in stock much of the time. I don't know if it is demand, supply chain, or another reason. Adding another model likely would not help that. I like V-A guitars and used to own one. Since I don't travel any more, it sold to a motorcycling buddy who wanted it for bike trips.

But it should be noted that the neck heel when folded projects out from the "box" formed by the case, and will exceed the strict carry-on dimensions, even if the rest of the case doesn't. They will fit into the overhead bin easily enough, but if the airline is being strict at check-in.......
Old 01-20-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
Actually the Alpaca has been discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
They need to do a 0 Voyage Air.
I suggested this to them back in 2010, years before Journey filled that need.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:26 PM

Default "Real" Travel Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi davidstid01

Sure - the Voyage Air VAOM-04 is a full sized OM with a normal neck which fits into a backpack which will go in an overhead bin.

Mine is pushing 8 years old now, and it goes all over the country with us in RV, planes, SUV etc. Solid top, laminate back/sides, and sounds and plays awesome.

It does have a 1¾" nut and a fairly slim neck profile.

+1 on the Voyage-Air. Mine is the VOM-04. Full Size guitar that is transportable in overhead bins in planes. With cheap upgrades (replace plastic bridge & saddle with bone and add K&K Pickup) it is a really a great guitar. You can also replace the tuners with Gotoh 510 Mini’s to mint it out.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by BT55; 01-24-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Actually the Alpaca has been discontinued.

I suggested this to them back in 2010, years before Journey filled that need.
Thanks for the info, did not know that. I wanted to contact them about the tuners they make, they are similar to steinbergers gearless tuners which no longer seem to be on the market. I use them in my harp guitars as they are better for this app than banjo tuners....oh well, they were pretty ugly
Old 01-20-2018, 04:20 PM

What about a Klos?
Old 01-20-2018, 05:37 PM

I think that it would be best if people carefully define what they are looking for when they inquire about travel guitars. If all you want is something small, there are many, many options. They serve well if what you mean by travel is getting into a car. For me, a travel guitar has to be more than simply small. It must meet TSA carry-on requirements for air travel, so that I am not at the mercy of the flight crew.

There are only two guitars that disassemble quickly and easily, and pack into a smaller case -- VoyageAire and Journey. Of these two, only the Journey meets exact TSA requirements, although most VoyageAire Owners do not have problems with gate agents and flight crews.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I think that it would be best if people carefully define what they are looking for when they inquire about travel guitars. If all you want is something small, there are many, many options. They serve well if what you mean by travel is getting into a car. For me, a travel guitar has to be more than simply small. It must meet TSA carry-on requirements for air travel, so that I am not at the mercy of the flight crew.

There are only two guitars that disassemble quickly and easily, and pack into a smaller case -- VoyageAire and Journey. Of these two, only the Journey meets exact TSA requirements, although most VoyageAire Owners do not have problems with gate agents and flight crews.
From the website the max dimensions of the Journey carry case are 22 x 14 x 10. And Delta at least has carry on limitations of 22 x 14 x 9. Probably not as issue, but unless that bag can be compressed to 9" thick a Journey won't meet the strict regs either. A LOT of "carry on" bags are still larger than these dimensions, and when we recently got new carry on bags we rejected anything bigger than 22 x 14 x 9 as just not being worth the hassle of being forced to gate check.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Actually, Brunner in Switzerland makes one as does luthier Bernie Lehman and maybe some others. But the OP had a dollar figure he wanted to stay under and that lets out almost all the competition as well as all the CF guitars. Which is why I suggested VoyageAir in the first place.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
+1 on this. I'm really happy with mine. But for what you want to spend, it isn't a consideration. The wood version with solid top, laminate back and sides, OF410, is in your price range. I owned one and liked it, but I like the carbon fiber OF660 better.
I’ve yet to take my OF660 on a “real” trip. But it has been a constant for Praise and Worship, it’s gone to work.
It is very likely going to Florida with me this Summer in the car.
I think the Voyage-Aire is a freaking brilliant design.
But it isn’t quite as portable as the Journey.
Plus the case/Backpack with the Journey is a multitude of pockets and compartments. And it sits very nicely on your shoulder(s).
The CF sounds a LOT better than you’d expect. And as has been said, it is pretty much impervious to the elements.
The only thing that has really surprised me it that it tends to be out of tune sharp on reassembly.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 01-20-2018, 10:19 PM

The Voyage Air is to me the best of the travel guitars as it is full sized versus making concessions to a smaller guitar. I have several and find them great for travel and a good sound.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 01-20-2018, 11:04 PM
Anticipation Junkie

OP, it’s highly unlikely that you’ll find a carbon fiber “real” travel guitar in your stated price range. You’d have to step-up to at least $900. The Journey OF660 is probably the least expensive and most compact because of its collapsible neck and cool backpack gigbag. My “real” carbon fiber travel guitar is an ‘08 (pre-Peavey) Composite Acoustics Cargo. It’s an 0 size. I love the little bugger. They sound and play real good and have quite a following among fans of CF guitars. They travel real well. If you’re lucky, you might find an older used one under $900.

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-20-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:17 AM

+1 for the Voyage-Air. I have a VAD-04 and LOVE it. Full Size Dred with great sound that can easily be stored in airline overhead bins. It's not going to replace any of my Taylors as my daily player but I'm not taking them on the road. For less than $100 you can add a JBB Artist Series Elite 430 pickup, replace the plastic Bridge Pins and Saddle with Bone and you can really tweek the guitars action and sound.
Regretfully Voyage-Air stock is always low so buy one when you see it in stock. I'd really like to see them offer a Songwriters Series guitar with a Venetian cutaway.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by BT55; 01-21-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

KLOS Guitar. Carbon fiber body, wood neck.
https://www.klosguitars.com/guitars

They seem pretty cool and in your price range
Old 01-21-2018, 11:54 PM

Voyage Air. The OM is is small enough, it folds, it is stable and sounds great. I don't like the idea of screwing on a neck each time. Tightening one screw is doable.

I own two - be them customs by Harvey Leach.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:35 AM

Hi David-
Have you tried a Martin LXM (Little Martin)? Ours has been everywhere from Key West to Yellowstone. Same great Martin voice, just smaller. To my ears, almost impervious to humidity and lack thereof.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion