The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 09:11 AM

Default Small bodied archtop F hole guitar?

There is an older lady who religiously attends my Friday night jam session. She's a tiny, frail person. The Fender dred she plays makes her look like she's holding a grand piano! She has to wear a wrist brace to play and generally gives out after about a half hour. Somebody let her play their full size archtop F hole guitar at one of the jams awhile back. It sounded nicely for the jazzy chording style her long deceased husband taught her to play.

I'm wondering if there is a professional quality, smaller bodied archtop acoustic made by anyone? I'd like to buy one as a gift to her since she loved playing the archtop lent to her. The action made it possible for her to travel up the neck, something she can't do on her old Fender dred. Can you think of a smaller archtop guitar I might check into? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:24 AM

You might get better action on this in the dedicated Archtop part of the forum. It'll probably get moved there soon. Hope you can find her something!
Old 01-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Get off my lawn kid

These have a cool sound, but they aren't small.
https://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIETZ...oCVVcQAvD_BwE=

Why not just a 00 size flat top like the Alvarez ap70 or ap66sb? Both under $400.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-20-2018, 09:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
There is an older lady who religiously attends my Friday night jam session. She's a tiny, frail person. The Fender dred she plays makes her look like she's holding a grand piano! She has to wear a wrist brace to play and generally gives out after about a half hour. Somebody let her play their full size archtop F hole guitar at one of the jams awhile back. It sounded nicely for the jazzy chording style her long deceased husband taught her to play.

I'm wondering if there is a professional quality, smaller bodied archtop acoustic made by anyone? I'd like to buy one as a gift to her since she loved playing the archtop lent to her. The action made it possible for her to travel up the neck, something she can't do on her old Fender dred. Can you think of a smaller archtop guitar I might check into? Thanks.
This:
https://reverb.com/item/4158443-epip...hb-honey-burst

HE
Old 01-20-2018, 01:01 PM

If you're not really acquainted with acoustic archtops, FYI they're generally thinner at the sides than a typical flattop (2-3/4" - 3-1/2") - FWIW I spent most of my life teaching elementary-school age students, and IME an average fourth/fifth-grader had no problem handling a 16" archtop; that said, there are a variety of suitable options on the market, depending on how much you want to spend. Since she's older, petite, and has wrist/hand issues (the vocalist in my own band fits that description so I'll draw upon my own recommendations to her) I'd pay particular attention to neck dimensions (thickness/contour/width) - the recent tendency toward wide/thick pre-war style necks (not historically accurate in the case of the Epiphone Masterbilt lineup, BTW - I've probably played a couple hundred New York originals in my lifetime and as a whole they were slimmer/faster than their Gibson contemporaries) may make your search a bit more challenging...

You also use the term "professional-quality" - which, in an archtop, puts you squarely into the four-figure bracket; if this is indeed what you're looking to spend - and my compliments to you if that is the case - you might start by looking at the 16" Eastman models. Their instruments are patterned on the Benedetto model, with a more "modern" tone - sweeter, less edgy and strident than many Big Band-era comp boxes - and a contemporary-feeling neck, starting at around $1500 street; this would be one she could pass along to the grandkids - and until you hit the $4K+ mark you're not going to find anything of comparable quality...

On the flip side, if you're looking for decent archtop tone on the cheap - with "professional-quality" standards of QC/reliability - go for an acoustic Godin 5th Avenue at around $500-550 street. I've owned one for the last decade (as well as the CW II cutaway electric version), and they're the modern-day equivalent of the Harmony/Kay student models of the '40s-60s - solidly built (in the same factory that produces Seagull) and easy-handling, constructed to a standard that the old stuff didn't even begin to approach; as I said above my students used to play mine on a regular basis, and even with PB 14-59 strings they had no problems with either size or playability. They're a little hard to find at your local guitar shop (even the big-box stores) so you might have to order this one sight unseen/unplayed; not to worry - I did just that with both of mine and never had any issues. You will, however, need to set it up with heavier strings - an archtop requires more string tension/mass to drive the top, and the factory 12's don't cut it; I'd recommend a set of Martin Retro MM13 monels - they've got a "slinkier" feel than a typical medium-gauge set, with the dual benefits of more tension and an authentic '30s-40s tonal vibe...

Hope this helps...
Old 01-20-2018, 01:08 PM

5th Avenue all the way. Very comfortable. Available at several price points, too, from not too expensive to still not terribly expensive but really nice, too.

The new Epiphone "masterbuilts" aren't really an arch top that sounds like an archtop.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-20-2018, 01:46 PM

Vintage Gibson L-48 or L-50, or similar fits the description, IF you can find one in good condition. Has that vintage vibe, small, comfortable. Although may be more than budget. There's one on ebay for $1300.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
5th Avenue all the way. Very comfortable. Available at several price points, too, from not too expensive to still not terribly expensive but really nice, too.

The new Epiphone "masterbuilts" aren't really an arch top that sounds like an archtop.
I second Mr. Beaumont's suggestion.

I haven't had a chance to try any of the new Epiphone archtops, simply because there don't seem to be any in the music stores up here. But the Godin Fifth Avenue archtops ought to be available at any store that also sells Seagull guitars; I have had a chance to play quite a few of them.

You can get them in a purely acoustic version, like this top photo, or with a pickup, as in the second photo:

Godin Fifth Avenue archtops

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-20-2018, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

I got the Epiphone Olympic which is the smallest of the three models they came out with. I had mine set up with Martin retro lights and it sounds great. The only reason I did not get the Godin is because they were out on Guitar Center. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Looks like a perfect candidate.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
Looks like a perfect candidate.
Agreed. Note this in the description:

• Historic Smaller-Sized Epiphone Archtop with f Holes
Old 01-21-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I second Mr. Beaumont's suggestion.

I haven't had a chance to try any of the new Epiphone archtops, simply because there don't seem to be any in the music stores up here. But the Godin Fifth Avenue archtops ought to be available at any store that also sells Seagull guitars; I have had a chance to play quite a few of them.

You can get them in a purely acoustic version, like this top photo, or with a pickup, as in the second photo:

Godin Fifth Avenue archtops

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
I played a very pretty Cognac burst 5th Avenue, but it didn't really behave like an archtop; it actually sounded quite thin, and minus the 'bark' and sharp attack of a traditional (whatever that means), archtop tone. Maybe it's the cherry used in its construction, rather than the spruce/maple combination I'm accustomed to hearing? Nonetheless it was an interesting and quite nice sounding guitar.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:08 AM

Default You've got mail

Dave, check your inbox.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:09 AM

AndrewG, I've got a single pickup Kingpin that has become my only acoustic guitar at this point. The reason this line sounds thin in the store is that they come from the factory with a set of 12's. This is ok if plugged in but these plywood guitars need a heavier string when unplugged.

My Kingpin just woke up when I put a set of plain pure nickel 13's on it. Some here go with even heavier strings. I thing this was pretty standard back in the day. FWIW I've settled on Martin Retros for this guitar and it sounds great when played along with a D size flat top.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:17 AM

Yesterday I made a 4 hour drive to pick up a restored 60's KAY N2 an AGF member who goes by "CosmicArkie" offered to donate for the lady this thread was about. It has a neck reset, a refret and was nicely refinished with NC lacquer. I restrung it with nickel strings which I read archtop players seem to prefer. Made it a completely different sounding guitar I'm certain she's gonna love.

I should add I never had any previous interaction with the donor from the forum. Just another example of how I've met some fine people online. A lot of them right here at AGF.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion