The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2018, 07:46 PM

If I loved the feel and sound of a guitar, I would pay the extra to get the frets fixed. As someone else said, since most GCs don't have luthiers present, see if they will give you
a discount, to cover the repair.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
If I loved the feel and sound of a guitar, I would pay the extra to get the frets fixed. As someone else said, since most GCs don't have luthiers present, see if they will give you
Um, the ones they do have I wouldn't necessarily trust...........................
Old 01-20-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post

Yep - that's the plan. I think the discount will be based upon the rating. He told me they won't pay for a refret which I perfectly understand. I'll get it over to John Higgins as I mentioned and let him evaluate it.

At work I was talking to a guy who plays guitar. He told me he traded in a bunch of stuff at GC for one guitar. The guitars he traded in were old and not really worth much but they took off $25 per guitar because they had old strings and it would cost them that to restring them. I told him that the guitar I bought had old strings when I bought it. He just shook his head but we got a good laugh out of it.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:41 AM

It's so hard to find the right guitar. I wouldn't let it go, even with no discount from GC. I've learned to sort out "hey someone got the better of me" vs. "well I was fortunate to get exactly what I wanted". When they happen at the same time, it is OK. Off topic but I bought an old Jeep that way.

Usually a decent negotiator I just decided I really wanted the Jeep. The guy could tell, held firm on his price and I (over)paid him. But there was something about that jeep I really liked, I can't say I never looked back, but when I did I just laughed about it.

Keep the guitar, and work the issue from there is what I would do.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:42 AM

Default Could use a little input on a used GC purchase

1. Humidify the guitar properly to 45-55% over 2 weeks, your buzz may go away. GC does not properly humidify IMO.
2. Have a good Luthier check the neck angle and make sure there is some slight relief - could need a simple truss rod adjustment for buzz.
3. Have luthier replace the frets - easy breezy.

Do it right and you will enjoy a great find.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
It's so hard to find the right guitar. I wouldn't let it go, even with no discount from GC. I've learned to sort out "hey someone got the better of me" vs. "well I was fortunate to get exactly what I wanted". When they happen at the same time, it is OK. Off topic but I bought an old Jeep that way.

Usually a decent negotiator I just decided I really wanted the Jeep. The guy could tell, held firm on his price and I (over)paid him. But there was something about that jeep I really liked, I can't say I never looked back, but when I did I just laughed about it.
When buying used I always expect a discount from the asking price. Sometimes if the seller is stubborn, but I know the price is reasonable and I really want the item, I swallow my pride and pay the asking price. It only bothers me for about 5 years.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MO View Post
…it is just one amazing, resonating guitar.
…This Takamine just blows me away.
…I love that 1.75" neck and have realized what I'v been missing playing that neck size.
…It made me a better player the instant I picked it up.
Hi Gary…

If I bought that guitar, I'm keeping it based on what you said!!

What would you recommend if I told you I bought a used car that runs great, has moderate miles on it, interior is clean, body is in excellent condition, and everything inside of it works great. But it was listed as excellent, and the tires are worn?

Should I send it back?

OK I'm just being a bit light here, but fret condition to me is like tires on a car. They wear out, and need occasional dressing, and replacing. On my 25 year old Olson, I've had the first 6 frets replaced 3 times.

Worth every penny/dollar. It's been 6 years since they were last replaced, and they have a few more years in them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-15-2018, 09:57 AM

Hey Gary, what even came of your guitar? I've been wondering, since I was the one who put you on track for buying the 2005.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:55 AM

Dump it back on them. Someday, we'll be able to replace frets at reasonable cost and then we won't have to dispose of otherwise good guitars, but we're not there yet. It's coming, though.

Translated: Of course you take their refret discount and keep the "keeper" guitar!
Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 PM

Default level and crown

Level and crown can be done several times before a re-fret. I have done it many times.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

I'll be the odd man out and say send it back. While the fret repair is probably no big deal, the misrepresentation of the guitar would bother me (although coming from GC it's no surprise).

Very few guitars are the keepers they seem when we buy them. In all likelihood you'll be selling it or trading it in a few months or years in if your like many of us. You'll either have to fix it or disclose the condition accurately which will put a damper on your sale. Guitars - the woods are full of them. I'd keep looking.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:04 AM

I am actually taking it down today to be looked at. The luthier I go to is an hour away so I have not been gotten there yet. I still have time to send it back if that is the path.

When I'm at work or away from the guitar, I start thinking I'll send it back because of the misrepresentation. When I'm sitting at home playing it I say "No Way!" When those notes ring on that guitar I think I feel my soul. It is not a great guitar for strumming in my opinion. But the note articulation, sustain, and resonance when fingerpicked or flat picked is just amazing. (I have another Takamine that is the reverse and is my strummer. The strings blend so nice on that guitar).

Funny thing is the 3rd fret D note on the B string is my only real complaint. It has to be played carefully or it will clunk on a pull up. My other Takamine did the same thing which John Higgins was able to eliminate with a setup. I think that slight buzz will also disappear with a setup too.

I also want to play some other Om's and will stop by Eddie's Guitars or Music Folk while I'm down south. Maybe there isn't anything special about this guitar compared to other solid wood Om's at that price level but I'm going to try and find out.

(I should have said ......."find out again one more time." But I want the search to be over. "I just want to play guitar Mister" )

Last edited by Gary in MO; 02-17-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:29 AM

Just wanted to chime in that when GC said excellent, they were likely doing the same thing Elderly does and were describing only the cosmetics. Elderly will call something excellent if it looks great but the bridge is lifting up and the nut and some frets need replacing. I find that annoying.

With that said, the used GC listings are often appalling short on details.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion