The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-30-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Are you looking for genetic data of medical significance or general heritage information?

A few years ago, I sent a swab of my cheek to The National Geographic Geographic Project and it will come as no surprise to some that the results indicate that I’m 2.3% Neanderthal (above average for a bloke not born in Africa). I’m proud of my hominin ancestry as I’m also 2% Denisovan.

Said project allows you to submit DNA anonymously.
I'm afraid mine would show I came from the Romulan Empire.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
[emoji23] Yeah I’m quite the mutt! ...
Only certain populations in Africa could be considered pure but in the end, we are all Africans.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
"...By submitting User Provided Content on any of the Websites, you grant Ancestry and its Group Companies a perpetual, transferable, sublicenseable, worldwide, royalty-free, license to host, store, copy, publish, distribute, provide access to create derivative works of, and otherwise use User Provided Content submitted by you to the Websites, to the extent and in the form or context we deem appropriate on or through any media or medium and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed or discovered..."
What does that even say ?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-30-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I'm afraid mine would show I came from the Romulan Empire.
With your sense of humor, could you possibly be of Romulan descent? Aren't they a rather surly lot?

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 11-30-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
What does that even say ?
Loosely translated it means:

We can do whatever we want with your DNA code.

I suppose if they, one day, clone you; you can forget about suing.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:59 PM

I'd like to know the path my ancestors took out of Africa, but I won't do it.
To me it's not worth the risks.

There are pricing tiers.
Why? you ask.
The lowest price requires you sign away rights to your personal DNA information so the company can sell it to employers, insurance companies, data-mining corporations, anyone.
Got a genetic marker for developing a major (read expensive) disease?
Bummer.
Think a company is going to hire you?
Think you can get affordable individual health insurance policy?
Think again.

The highest price for this DNA testing buys you what they claim is the most privacy, but even then I'm skeptical.
Recently Experian, that monster credit-rating agency, had a massive data breach.
SSN, birthdate, etc. of 143 million people exposed:
http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...907-story.html

Shall I give away my most intimate, personal, and sensitive DNA data to be used as a weapon against me?
No thanks.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
With your sense of humor, could you possibly be of Romulan descent? Aren't they a rather surly lot?
Could be genetically Romulan but raised on the planet that originated the galactic fart joke.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Jeff Rossen did an interesting test of three popular DNA tests using three identical triplets with different last names. SPOILER ALERT Results were very accurate based on consistency as well as each test identifying the 100% match among the triplets....

TODAY national investigative correspondent Jeff Rossen and the Rossen Reports team enlisted identical triplet sisters from California — Kaeli, Kelsey and Korrie — to try kits from three popular companies: AncestryDNA, 23andMe, and MyHeritage.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-01-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Jeff Rossen did an interesting test of three popular DNA tests using three identical triplets with different last names. SPOILER ALERT Results were very accurate based on consistency as well as each test identifying the 100% match among the triplets....

TODAY national investigative correspondent Jeff Rossen and the Rossen Reports team enlisted identical triplet sisters from California — Kaeli, Kelsey and Korrie — to try kits from three popular companies: AncestryDNA, 23andMe, and MyHeritage.
"The tests revealed a genetic propensity of the parents to give kids pretentious names starting with the same letter"
Old 12-01-2017, 08:08 AM

I just got a kit for $9.99 off Amazon and it is spot on. I'm 1/3 Caveman, 1/3 Pirate, and 1/3 Bills Mafia.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
I just got a kit for $9.99 off Amazon and it is spot on. I'm 1/3 Caveman, 1/3 Pirate, and 1/3 Bills Mafia.
For $9.99, I'm surprised they went deeper than "homonid"
Old 12-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
I was just at their site reading up on the privacy provisions they have in place, http://www.ancestry.com/cs/legal/Pri...stryDNATesting, and couldn't find the disclaimer that Rudals referenced.

... buried in the small print link at the very bottom of the webpage, "terms and conditions" .....this little gem of a section called "USER PROVIDED CONTENT":

"...By submitting User Provided Content on any of the Websites, you grant Ancestry and its Group Companies a perpetual, transferable, sublicenseable, worldwide, royalty-free, license to host, store, copy, publish, distribute, provide access to create derivative works of, and otherwise use User Provided Content submitted by you to the Websites, to the extent and in the form or context we deem appropriate on or through any media or medium and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed or discovered..."

Murphyslaw asked "what does that even mean?"

if you post it, any kind of 'it', your rights to use it as you wish are extended to ancestry.com so that they can use it as they wish - without ever telling you what , why, where - from the moment of upload on into the future forever and ever more til the end of time.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 12-01-2017, 12:09 PM

No interest at all in DNA testing. I'd probably show from another solar system or something.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
It'd be funny if I turn out to be part Mongolian, Chinese, and Japanese when our genealogy records do not indicate so. Our family, like many other Korean families, have kept a record, on a book, on who beget who dating back to...I don't know...kinda like the Bible except probably longer.
There is a very significant chance you have Ghengis Khan's blood in your veins. I've read a number of reports that indicate somewhere between 5% and 15% of all men on earth are descendants of Ghengis!

I haven't seen the percentage breakdown based on geography, but I assume asians have a higher chance of relation to the Mongols than non-asians.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic